Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #31
Daredevil
Man Without Fear

50% of nurses suck. And I know cuz I work with them.
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #32
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil View Post
Well I hope they are at least getting paid.:tounge:
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #33
Trilogy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil View Post
Well I hope they are at least getting paid.:tounge:
Trilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #34
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I usually ignore stupid people ... comments like hers are intended to get your goat and are usually indicative of their own personal problems. If they don't get a response they are usually deflated.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:05 AM   #35
DeKind
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Almost every sitcom has this situation - the guy is a bumbling idiot and the woman has to be there as a voice of reason and fix everything - and your statistic is scary to see - but this is what part of the problem is - people automatically see these numbers and assume all fathers are useless. Showing off statistics may be part of the problem - people should be addressing the person - not a number.
I dont really see how the person who is out earning the income for the family can be labeled as useless in any way shape or form. Anyone who does label such a person as useless is simply an ignoramous.

As far as the sitcoms and even the cartoons, i think its telling that these are the situations created for COMEDIC effect. I dont think its necessarily trying to reflect reality, but the exact opposite. Its far fetched and funny.
DeKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:20 AM   #36
The Watcher
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
* Chuck
* My Name Is Earl
* How I Met Your Mother
* Two and a Half Men
* According to Jim
* Scrubs
* Family Guy
* Simpsons
* the bill engvall show
* Desperate Housewives

do these shows include men who go to work? yes. men that "make the living?" yes.

its not that it shows men are lazy, it shows that men have no idea how to father or lead. that women are ALWAYS the voice of the family. that women have better money handling skills...that women know how to discipline..that women are the ones doing ALL of the parental decision making.

thats what Zombie is talking about.
You can add the Cosby Show to your list.

The attitude shown by the nurse is common in hospitals. She should have been reported.
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 AM   #37
sputnik
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Fremen and I were raised by our father in the 60's when that was virtually un-heard of. It amazes me that even today dad's are soo underated in this department. It's also common for daughters to be closer to dad's than mom's. Hang in there, I'm sure you have more on your side than against.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #38
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Not that I've been in the same situation (not married and no kids), but when I receive stupid comments similar to yours, I usually respond with my own innane comment which immediately brings the conversation to an end. For instance, upon the nurses comment about "Mom can't do everything, you know" you could have responded with:

1) "Oh, I know, but my girlfriend just had our 2nd child, and since I've been with her longer than my wife, she deserves a little attention too, right?"

2) "Of course she can, she's a modern woman. She has every RIGHT to do everything a man can. How on earth can you even BEGIN to suggest that a woman can't do everything a man can?????"

3) F**K YOU!!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure any of these would have allowed you to avoid further discussion with the nurse
those are good comments...
I remember when my son was born and the the nurse saw myself and father in law in the delievry room she addmitted she thought she would have to help my wife by herself with the breathing and birth. Once the we took over and her shift was up she came over to me and said, " when you guys entered I thought I was in for a long delievry and would have to do everything by myself. She said," she was pleased to get a chance to sit back and let us take over". She regretted not being able to see Erik come into the world. My wife was in delievry for 21 hours before he arrived. It was an exhausting and drainning experience. At first you are so tired to think let alone comprend the situation, then once your son is born your body forgets and you are in such a peaceful state.
I thought it was a cool gesture on the nurses part to come up and tell me that.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #39
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKind View Post
I dont really see how the person who is out earning the income for the family can be labeled as useless in any way shape or form. Anyone who does label such a person as useless is simply an ignoramous.

As far as the sitcoms and even the cartoons, i think its telling that these are the situations created for COMEDIC effect. I dont think its necessarily trying to reflect reality, but the exact opposite. Its far fetched and funny.
It's hardly ever about money - in fact I know a few trashy people who look at the father of their child as just that - a paycheck - so, this isn't a case about money. No one should have to say - "I'm not useless - I PAY for everything"

And sitcoms and other shows depict what the society in general deem as truthful situations - that's why people laugh at them - because they can relate. But I would love to visit where you live - because apparently you don't have people stereotyping others.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote