Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #391
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Couldn't agree more. It's like they wanted to incorporate aspects of the Iron Spider narrative, which for the record I'm not opposed too and it's somewhat fitting given we're coming off Civil War, just not at the expense of developing Peter as Spider-Man. Bottom line... Stark isn't responsible for the hero he becomes.
Totally. It rings of the cinematic killing of Superman or the Phoenix saga; great and powerful stories introduced way before the characters are fully realized and the audience is invested in them.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #392
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Not to mention Stark creating the Spider-suit and it having an AI takes away so much of the characters charm. Parker, a kid without means, going above and beyond to do what is right because he has powers is the most compelling part of the character IMHO.
I didn't realize the spider suit has an AI in this movie. I don't like that either and agree that it changes who the character is and some of the reasons why we've liked him over the years. He's this brilliant scientist/inventor in a skinny everyman kids body from Queens.His accessibility is part of what has made Spidey so beloved over the years. Changing him even partially into a Stark invention is not cool in my book. But, I've learned not to get too upset, because these movies are gonna be what they're gonna be. I hit my tipping point with Paul Giamatti's Rhino. That sucked so bad, but there wasn't one thing I could do to change it either. So I'm much calmer now that I've had the lobotomy...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #393
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
I didn't realize the spider suit has an AI in this movie. I don't like that either and agree that it changes who the character is and some of the reasons why we've liked him over the years. He's this brilliant scientist/inventor in a skinny everyman kids body from Queens.His accessibility is part of what has made Spidey so beloved over the years. Changing him even partially into a Stark invention is not cool in my book. But, I've learned not to get too upset, because these movies are gonna be what they're gonna be. I hit my tipping point with Paul Giamatti's Rhino. That sucked so bad, but there wasn't one thing I could do to change it either. So I'm much calmer now that I've had the lobotomy...

Yup. You have to concentrate on what you can control. Just enjoy the ride. I would imagine that most millennials have little to no memory or knowledge of Peter being this scrawny brainy kid who created his webs, took pics for the bugle, and had an elderly aunt.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:00 AM   #394
built2shred
Phoenix

The kid is like 16 in this movie and poor, I'm sure as he gets older and starts getting some $$$ he can create killer stuff that rivals starks inventions.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #395
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Amy Pascal has confirmed that Venom and Black Cat movies are in the same MCU as Spider-man Homecoming.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #396
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Amy Pascal has confirmed that Venom and Black Cat movies are in the same MCU as Spider-man Homecoming.
That's great news.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #397
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
Not trying to single you out, Meteor Man but why are so many of you operating under the assumption this version of Parker wont' be intelligent and intuitive enough to be like the comic book hero we've come to know? Because Stark gave him his first good looking suit in this cinematic universe? Like I said before, this Peter was attempting the hero thing in his own makeshift costume AND web shooters before Stark approached him in Civil War. Stark shows up in his room and shows Peter footage of Peter swinging through the streets in some sort of red and blue suit. While we don't see in detail what that costume or web shooters look like the fact remains he was doing the hero thing with his own web shooters on his own before Stark arrived.

That doesn't even go into what the trailers for Homecoming seem to imply. I didn't want to mention this before in case people haven't pieced this together for some reason and might consider it spoiler material, but it seems the order of events are laid clear in the Homecoming trailers. Peter has Stark's suit in the beginning of the film. They argue and Stark takes back his toy (the suit). Peter won't stop doing what he feels is his responsibility to do and gets back out there with his own homemade suit (the same homemade suit Hot Toys and Hasbro have revealed). The trailer shows Peter fighting near parked school buses at night in this homemade suit. A scene that seemingly takes place after Stark takes away the suit. Judging from the revealed toys it's clear this Peter is inventive and has made his own image enhancing goggles and web shooters.

Point is this Peter doesn't need Stark or his suit. Will he get Stark's suit back in the end? Probably. It looks better than sweat pants and a hoody. But that doesn't mean the character needs Stark or his tech to be a hero. That all said, this is still all conjecture. I haven't seen the film yet. I just haven't seen anything that implies this version or Peter won't be like the Peter we know from the comics.

Last edited by Luminous; 06-19-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #398
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Yup:

https://www.newsarama.com/34976-spid...after-all.html
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #399
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Great News.

I don't believe Tom Holand's brat Spider-Man has any chance of beating Tom Hardy's manly man Venom though...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #400
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

interesting
https://youtu.be/OQ1hYOAmn6I
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote