Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #411
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Penny Dreadful - 10/10

I absolutely loved every minute of this wonderful series. Incredible re-imagining/blending of the classic monster tales. Great for those familiar with the existing material as it changes things up just enough to keep it original and it's perfect for newcomers. The production value is extremely high, the cast is brilliant and their acting superb. I might be looking forward to the next season of this more than any other series at the moment.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #412
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

The Leftovers: Season One- 8/10

The premise:

The Leftovers takes place three years after a global "Rapture", known as the "Sudden Departure", which caused the unexplainable disappearance of 2% of the world population. The story, presenting several new mysteries after the main unsolved mystery, focuses on the small group of people left behind in the fictional town of Mapleton, New York, outside of New York City, where they are trying to move on, while a mysterious cult known as the Guilty Remnant attempts to ensure that they do not forget.

I wasn't even sure I wanted to watch this show, but I did and I really enjoyed it. It's hard to describe what the show is about outside of what the premise describes. It's a drama that deals with the aftermath three years after the event. It's not really supernaturally driven outside of the main event and possibly one other character. It's similar to LOST if you remove the sci-fi/supernatural elements. It's also similar to Walking Dead in that these people are coping with the world changing quite a bit due to a big event, however there is no horror aspect to it. I'm probably not selling it too well, but it's an interesting show that hooked me the more I watched it, and I am looking forward to Season 2.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #413
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Penny Dreadful - 10/10

I absolutely loved every minute of this wonderful series. Incredible re-imagining/blending of the classic monster tales. Great for those familiar with the existing material as it changes things up just enough to keep it original and it's perfect for newcomers. The production value is extremely high, the cast is brilliant and their acting superb. I might be looking forward to the next season of this more than any other series at the moment.

Recently on-demanded the whole 1st season and was equally impressed. This show really satisfied the classic/Universal/Hammer film, Monster lover in me. Sure, things have been a bit updated & reimagined, but the vibe is all there. This was great!
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #414
PureInvasion

Strike Back: Season 1 ~ 3/5

It got stronger as it went along but I was honestly ready to give it up half-way through the season. It finished strong and at least concluded nearly all existing plot points so it can ideally serve as a standalone season without further continuation of the series.

I may pick up Season 2 down the line if I find it for cheap, but am in no rush
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #415
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Strike Back: Season 1 ~ 3/5

It got stronger as it went along but I was honestly ready to give it up half-way through the season. It finished strong and at least concluded nearly all existing plot points so it can ideally serve as a standalone season without further continuation of the series.

I may pick up Season 2 down the line if I find it for cheap, but am in no rush
Trust me, stick with it. I didn't care for the first half of S1 (US version with the current cast which is technically S2 outside the US) either as it had too many unnecessary sex scenes shoehorned into the narrative. The series gets real good going forward. It's now one of my favorite series. Shame it only has one season left though.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #416
PureInvasion

Quote:
Trust me, stick with it. I didn't care for the first half of S1 (US version with the current cast which is technically S2 outside the US) either as it had too many unnecessary sex scenes shoehorned into the narrative. The series gets real good going forward. It's now one of my favorite series. Shame it only has one season left though.
Hey now! Nothing wrong with those unnecessary sex scenes...the females were hot

If you say it gets better, I'll trust you. When I see S2 for $20 or less then I'll grab it down the line
Old 09-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #417
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I have no problem with it as long as it isn't excessive making it feel out of place.

I'd also recommend checking out Strike Back: Origins (titled season 1 in the UK) starring Richard Armitage (The Hobbit) and Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead.) It takes place before Scott & Stonebridge come along and is only 6 episodes IIRC. Good stuff & also better than the first half of S1.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #418
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Penny Dreadful - 10/10

Been really wanting to watch this show. Think it's worth a blind buy? Or should I rent it first?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #419
PureInvasion

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena ~ 4/5

After the initial first season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, the gore effects/levels in this show sadly became quite laughable. Luckily, the story really holds up and provides an excellent prequel to the excellent first season of the show (everything else aside from the first season was mostly garbage IMO).

They crammed so much story into a mere 6 episodes, I feel as though I have to rewatch it just to take it all in.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #420
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Been really wanting to watch this show. Think it's worth a blind buy? Or should I rent it first?
Absolutely worth a blind buy if you're into the material. I'll be buying it myself and look forward to revisiting it. Gets my highest recommendation.