Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #4351
Demona
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Very cool and rare switch out. I'd sell the variant with rare psyblade quick before SSC or XM puts out a Psylocke.
Neither one of those companies will match this portrait's beauty for me. But no way will I pay double the list price for it.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #4352
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Neither one of those companies will match this portrait's beauty for me. But no way will I pay double the list price for it.
I agree. I love this X-Force variant with this gorgeous portrait. XM is high priced. They won't come close to this piece. I don't care what their fan boys say. Their gimmick is just to produce oversized bases and charge twice as much. They haven't come far in the portrait department either, they are still poor even when they include multiple portraits.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #4353
Asgard
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

If Sideshow offers another body paint job for the X-Force version, that's ok for me.
But that the original portrait is the included is not ok.
I would buy (regular) Psylocke with this gorgeous portrait.

What can i do ?
X-Force is sold out so i'm waiting for XM or Prime 1
Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #4354
Asgard
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #4355
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I agree. I love this X-Force variant with this gorgeous portrait. XM is high priced. They won't come close to this piece. I don't care what their fan boys say. Their gimmick is just to produce oversized bases and charge twice as much. They haven't come far in the portrait department either, they are still poor even when they include multiple portraits.
I think SS often has better portraits when it comes to unmasked human heads but XM still has some great portraits...T’Challa, Storm, Poison Ivy, Batgirl, Spider-Man’s ripped mask...all on par with what SS does, or compared to portraits like Emma Frost and regular Psylocke, better.

I think Psylocke being Asian (sometimes) would be to XM’s strength but we’ll see eventually.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #4356
Demona
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I don't think XM prices are unnecessarily high nor their bases a gimmick. If we lived in their licensed area people would be all over them. It's the shipping that kills us. It is NOT the retail price of the statue - those are cost comparative and IMO worth it for what you get.

Example:
XM Storm - 990 SGD. That converts to 716 USD. And for that, you got two portraits, two sets of capes and arms.

Sideshow:
Gambit is 685, Colossus 680, and Rogue was 700/715. The retooled Magneto Maquette is 750. And they have a smaller footprint base, as Sideshow has always done. Prime 1 also makes GIANT bases for all scales of their statues, but as they make 1:3 pieces it's harder to compare the prices.

So their (XM) prices are a tired argument at best.

I totally agree XM portraits are lacking, Sideshow really is the best with 1/4 portraits, but I don't see anything weak or lacking about the rest of the pieces they create. Though I will also say sometimes their color schemes and "accessories" are off - Emma is the best example of that. And no way in hell would they get close to making the Sideshow Psylocke portrait. Their best bet is to try and get a decent looking portrait and a good looking psyblade and she will sell.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #4357
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I prefer the portrait on the XM that was teased a while back (hopefully not being reworked now), but SSC's body sculpt is amazing.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #4358
Peedi
The Secret Six

Y’all really think XM can’t do good to great portraits? Some of the characters below SS hasn’t done any better, or XM’s portrait is just as good as the SS version.

And for the record before I’m labeled an XM fanboy, I only own 3 of the examples above, my collection is mostly SS but I’m a fan of good statues, not any specific companies.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #4359
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Very cool and rare switch out. I'd sell the variant with rare psyblade quick before SSC or XM puts out a Psylocke.
Either way when XM or SS does another Psylocke, even if it looks good or is an X-Force version, this version is still sculpted well, has a reasonable size, a desired portrait very small ES, and an even more rare mistake part, that’s a killer combo. Newer Magnetos and Spideys don’t stop the Throne and Comiquette pieces from retaining high value. I doubt this would be too affected by a newer one.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #4360
Comicbookguy
Hercules

The SS portraits have had their flaws before like the first Psylocke, the new psylocke, the first rogue, the first supergirl, and lots of google eyes which they won't replace and shipped out anyways. Both companies has their own portrait issues. My favorites are still from ss from Newman, the artist for captain marvel pf, the first Wonder Woman artist, etc...
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote