Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #4561
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
If the said she wasn't rolling out until October, I wonder how many have been released. There is still time to work on that face paint application.

A girl can dream....but sadly I think Jean owners are going to get what we have seen.

FTR, go look at Ms Marvel. She looks good.
And I think once people get her in hand....the tune will go from what happened to the hair and face to....this piece is stellar, even the portraits are great!

It never fails. This is not to say that I don't think better heads can't be done, but some of the comments on here are like it's the worst thing in the history of the world.

The heads are done very well, but they are not perfect and could be done better. But hey, I'm no hairstylist, so what the hell do I know?
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #4562
jye318
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Come on.... She looks great!! And three head for you to display is awesome, if you want , get a custom head. I love this lady, she is gonna be the best female in my collection .
jye318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #4563
Peedi
The Secret Six

I'm agreeing with much of what loric is saying. I have some disappointment because it's NOT as good as originally shown but I'm still going to love this in hand.

Remember when she had foreheads? The facial sculpts are the same as what's being shipped...I've said before and others have, too, the face paint on these just don't work. The face sculpts are great. I think if repainted they'd look much better. But the position of the hairs also hurt this.

The up hair head would actually be perfect with a normal hairline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootS View Post
And for those in China:

Also, what gets me is that one post by XM comparing the original PO head to the revised one we're getting. That post where they said the hair was always intended to fit like it does now, lower on the head, and the PO head had a chip in the front.

I value the XM guys but I can't see how that's true. I don't want to say anybody is a liar but until they changed the position of the bird which then dictated the hair needed to change, EVERY time we were shown the original head the hair was in 2 parts split at the middle, not a single wig like it is now, and she had a forehead...from the digital sculpt, to the original unpainted print, to the painted sample they used to display at events, to the PO. Same face, but saying what we're getting is the original complete head and hair is clearly not true and there's more than enough photos to show this, including the one below of the original statue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Sisko View Post
Hmmm, now that I'm seeing the translucent phoenix under normal lighting conditions I'm finding that I MUCH prefer the painted bird. It looked great in the convention photos, but there was an awful lot of natural light where it was displayed. The colours seem to look flat under indoor lighting.

Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #4564
qz33
Baron Zemo

These pics look just like what Xm showed of the prototype a few months ago so there is no knocking that we are getting what was *finally* advertised.

The problem is this has changed since the beginning.
The translucent bird loses the sharp cuts in the sculpt the polystone version had. That added an incredible amount of detail to the sculpt which are not visible in this chosen material. Without a light up the bird would be better painted or cast from a different material. People like to have their cake and eat it too, nobody likes a compromise.

Not sure how this is colored from the inside (maybe a step in the casting process) but more contrast and color gradients in the center red chest could go a long way to showing off the awesome sculpted flame detail.

The body seam has been exaggerated even more and is now too wide. The hair thin outfit seam that many wanted I could live with far better. There's a reason these girls are drawn as colored nude bodies. Also from the pics maybe some definition in the body has been lost to casting but hopefully that is just in these pictures.

Then there are the faces which have garnered so much discussion. Only the billowing hair looks good painted.

This is still a good statue but will need to be seen in person to know if it is great.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #4565
Demona
Lex Luthor

I have had the same opinions about this piece since the beginning when they decided to retool her hair/face.

And I have ONLY been critical about the paint execution on the heads. While crisp and clean -- it's not bringing the piece to life. Hell, the head I was the least excited about (super angry wild hair) is looking the best in photos. WTH am I supposed to do with that when I LOVE/LOVED the original look and I'm still not crazy about the super angry head, just think it looks the best out of the three?

I said it before -- everything else about this piece is 100% perfection and won't be beat by anything I see coming, but I'm going to have to get a custom head to make me adore this piece as much as I did in the beginning. I still love it, but not as much. No point in lying about that.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #4566
supermetroid
Teen Titans

1. Magneto
2a. Phoenix
2b. Wolverine
2c. Thanos

I just think Magneto's portraits are nearly perfect, it would take Phoenix's to be that good to match Magneto.

From the upcoming statues I'd say Venom and Mysterio look outstanding and could be up there with Magneto(or right behind him, he's the king!)
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #4567
Demona
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
I'm agreeing with much of what loric is saying. I have some disappointment because it's NOT as good as originally shown but I'm still going to love this in hand.

Remember when she had foreheads? The facial sculpts are the same as what's being shipped...I've said before and others have, too, the face paint on these just don't work. The face sculpts are great. I think if repainted they'd look much better. But the position of the hairs also hurt this.

Also, what gets me is that one post by XM comparing the original PO head to the revised one we're getting. That post where they said the hair was always intended to fit like it does now, lower on the head, and the PO head had a chip in the front.

I value the XM guys but I can't see how that's true. I don't want to say anybody is a liar but until they changed the position of the bird which then dictated the hair needed to change, EVERY time we were shown the original head the hair was in 2 parts split at the middle, not a single wig like it is now, and she had a forehead...from the digital sculpt, to the original unpainted print, to the painted sample they used to display at events, to the PO. Same face, but saying what we're getting is the original complete head and hair is clearly not true and there's more than enough photos to show this, including the one below of the original statue:
Old 09-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #4568
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post

The up hair head would actually be perfect with a normal hairline.

Its enough to make you go

Peedi....I am not going to even try and figure this one out...cause I quite honestly don't know what the heck went on with this one.

I just hope there isn't another Hairgate with Medusa.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #4569
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I have had the same opinions about this piece since the beginning when they decided to retool her hair/face.

And I have ONLY been critical about the paint execution on the heads. While crisp and clean -- it's not bringing the piece to life. Hell, the head I was the least excited about (super angry wild hair) is looking the best in photos. WTH am I supposed to do with that when I LOVE/LOVED the original look and I'm still not crazy about the super angry head, just think it looks the best out of the three?

I said it before -- everything else about this piece is 100% perfection and won't be beat by anything I see coming, but I'm going to have to get a custom head to make me adore this piece as much as I did in the beginning. I still love it, but not as much. No point in lying about that.
Well...there won't be any shortage of those. In fact, I know a couple are already started.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #4570
Demona
Lex Luthor

Which I am looking forward to seeing. I'm sure some will be "shut up and take my money" worthy.