Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 02-27-2022, 01:08 AM   #481
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
...And it appears you?re looking at it from the point of view of an end customer, and treating Spec as only a retail customer. ...
I am the end costumer.

Why would I concern myself with a retailers inner deal-making and distribution arrangements?
What matters is the price I pay and the service I recieve.

You order a lot more of this stuff than I do and ever will, so your metrics may be different than mine.

If something costs me $200 to get it to my door from the manufacturer, and it costs me $201.50 to get it to my door from a local retailer that I know and who has served me well in the past, there's not much hesitation there.
I'll happily pay the extra $1.50 pittance to help keep that local retailer operating, and viable, as a resource in the future.

If the only real trade off is the length of time to get it, it's not a real problem for me. I can usually wait.
Anticipation is one of the true pleasures of this hobby for me, frankly. It's all good.

If something else is available for a net cost that is even less than buying direct, that's great!
But it doesn't make the cost of the other piece being at par, a worse value.

There is no free lunch. BBTS has a $4 shipping "deal" that results in inflated product costs in general for a lot of stuff.
Factor everything in and make your decision.

At the end of the day, final cost to have it in my hands is what I want to know. Everything else is just trivia.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:24 AM   #482
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I am the end costumer.

Why would I concern myself with a retailers inner deal-making and distribution arrangements?
What matters is the price I pay and the service I recieve.

You order a lot more of this stuff than I do and ever will, so your metrics may be different than mine.

If something costs me $200 to get it to my door from the manufacturer, and it costs me $201.50 to get it to my door from a local retailer that I know and who has served me well in the past, there's not much hesitation there.
I'll happily pay the extra $1.50 pittance to help keep that local retailer operating, and viable, as a resource in the future.

If the only real trade off is the length of time to get it, it's not a real problem for me. I can usually wait.
Anticipation is one of the true pleasures of this hobby for me, frankly. It's all good.

If something else is available for a net cost that is even less than buying direct, that's great!
But it doesn't make the cost of the other piece being at par, a worse value.

There is no free lunch. BBTS has a $4 shipping "deal" that results in inflated product costs in general for a lot of stuff.
Factor everything in and make your decision.

At the end of the day, final cost to have it in my hands is what I want to know. Everything else is just trivia.
Yes, and everyone else here has called that a mark up for years. And yes it may be semantics but you asked if the example you were giving previously was a mark up or not and I was answering in the affirmative. We’re just going round and round in circles and arguing about terminology is all

And in my head for this particular piece I’m still thinking of Spec as a retailer for all costumers internationally, whereas understandably for you you are stopping at only US residents.

Honestly I keep on forgetting that JND ships to Australia , and I never even consider them when I’m doing my calculations as I usually only look at Sugo and Spec for these kind of pieces and then compare the two.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:02 AM   #483
pdenham
Teen Titans

Yes, it just semantics.

It is a mark up in the sense that the "price" is listed higher than the price set by the manufacturer.

However it is the "cost" that is basically the same, or negligible, in the end (to a US customer).

I probably should have simply said I don't care about price so much as cost.
To that end, SF has been perfectly fine for me.

But again, I don't order anywhere near as much as many people here.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:12 AM   #484
Rauko
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

What's the ES on this one?
Rauko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:24 AM   #485
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

So, it's been a few days now....the dust is starting to settle. I'm wondering what the next project will be. I'm also wondering when this "diversification" will start, into 1/6 and 1/4 scale.

I'm also wondering how the competition will respond - I'm looking at you Queen Studios - in my opinion, they are the only real competition for JND at the moment.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:37 AM   #486
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
So, it's been a few days now....the dust is starting to settle. I'm wondering what the next project will be. I'm also wondering when this "diversification" will start, into 1/6 and 1/4 scale.

I'm also wondering how the competition will respond - I'm looking at you Queen Studios - in my opinion, they are the only real competition for JND at the moment.
I doubt they will respond. All are different working at different price levels, which it comes to statues. PCS does it's thing, Sideshow does it's thing, XM does it's thing, Prime 1 does it's thing, Weta does it's thing..

1/6 scale figures is a different ball game. I guess they all know there is much money to be made in this area if you get it right. Smaller boxes to ship, next to zero breakages. Hot Toys is the problem for anyone getting into the game.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:55 AM   #487
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauko View Post
What's the ES on this one?
Old 02-27-2022, 11:46 AM   #488
Rauko
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Thank you. That seems awfully high for a niche character like that and in a premium segment to boot. Still, it's a fantastic representation all the same
Rauko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #489
tarim69
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post

Momoa Aquaman.

As WB seems to be their main license, I also think we may see them revisit some of these characters in smaller scale.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:34 PM   #490
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauko View Post
Thank you. That seems awfully high for a niche character like that and in a premium segment to boot. Still, it's a fantastic representation all the same
It does seem a tad high but it's also being distributed near worldwide so that doesn't leave many pieces for each region. Also, as others have pointed out, Aquaman was a huge hit at the box office, especially compared against other DC movies.

Then there's the sex appeal to factor in and the growing customer base for JND. All-in-all I'm sure they know what they're doing and I don't expect this one will be a peg-warmer.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote