Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #41
Juggernaut
The Falcon

J.J Abrams is a Star Wars fan.

I don't know if he would be any good though? Mostly I think not. I did not enjoy his take on Star Trek.

Some of the moment is that movie were too forced and he went for cheap wow factor.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #42
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Well, Gore Verbinski was not the most well known director before they gave him POTC, and Joseph Kosinski hadn't really done anything before they gave him Tron: Legacy so we don't know what they'll do. Granted, neither of the films I mentioned are Star Wars so, who knows.
Gore Verbinski did direct The Ring remake. One of the best foreign remakes and at times better than the original. It was very profitable. I think he worked for ILM in his early days too.

I don't want to get into TRON Legacy too much. I hope Joseph Kosinski doesn't get the job but I could see him on the list if not for the relatively poor performance of TRON Legacy. Whatever it cost to sell probably cut into a lot of the profit. I'm sure Disney noticed how Prometheus cost less and made a bit more. Plus, Prometheus is visually far more impressive and as classic as its origin movie compared to TRON Legacy. Besides TRON Legacy has a lot of the same crap that I hated in the prequels. There is a massive review on another forum that pointed out many similarities between the prequels and TRON Legacy. I'll try to find it if you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
Compared to POTC and Tron, Star Wars is a whole different ball game. Considering how established and how gigantic the franchise is Disney wouldn't leave it to chance. Especially with so many skeptical voices around.
This is what I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do or do not View Post
I think honourable mention should be given to J.J.Abrams, but he may be too busy with Star Trek.
But Abrams' Star Trek is basically inspired by Star Wars. It is more space fantasy than Star Trek. Prometheus has more in common with Star Trek than Abrams' Star Trek. And I really don't want to see stuff from Abrams' universe in Star Wars. I hated it in Star Trek.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #43
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Universe_Grl View Post
I have zero optimism about this......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
After the last 3 films, I have no more interest in Star Wars regardless of who's behind the directorial helm.
+1 to each of these

Actually I think Return of the Jedi was awful too, but the two newer ones after Phantom menace were less awful but still not great. I guess I will see these new ones and then curse myself for stupidity after they turn out bad, which we all know they will.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #44
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

I think Guillermo del Toro might also be a good choice.

On another note, I'd really like to see a new Dune movie, or better a trilogy, made.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #45
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
+1 to each of these

Actually I think Return of the Jedi was awful too, but the two newer ones after Phantom menace were less awful but still not great. I guess I will see these new ones and then curse myself for stupidity after they turn out bad, which we all know they will.
I always thought that ROTJ was in general pretty bad...the belching toad-beast on Tattooine was a good harbinger of the Jar-Jar and "bantha poo-doo" crap to come in the prequels.

But that was ALL George Lucas. Now that he's out, these have a shot at rocking. Hard. After all, it was Kershner (and to a lesser degree, Harrison Ford) that made Empire so damn good. Another creative team--especially one made of folks with a real and abiding love for this universe? Can seriously do some good.

I'm excited.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #46
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Leave it to Teague to drag out my inner optimist (who I try to hold down as much as possible). I'm going to give these things an honest chance and hope for the best.....or at least try to
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #47
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I really hope they take from dark empire and go with the clone emperor palpatine, star wars isnt star wars without ian mcdiarmid IMO and having him would really tie in the previous movies and bring closure to the now 9 movie story. After that when disney starts releasing one every couple of years they can do whatever they want and start new
Quicksilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #48
Exar Kun
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Kevin J. ANderson story: new Jedi Academy with Exar Kun spirit in it
Exar Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #49
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I really hope they take from dark empire and go with the clone emperor palpatine, star wars isnt star wars without ian mcdiarmid IMO and having him would really tie in the previous movies and bring closure to the now 9 movie story. After that when disney starts releasing one every couple of years they can do whatever they want and start new
I really hope they don't. Dark Empire was alright but honestly it dragged a bit and I don't think it would make for a very interesting trilogy.

I'd rather see the new trilogy begin to pull away from the Skywalker clan, leave Palpatine and Vader dead and move on to other characters/stories. Those characters have already been fleshed out and if the franchise is to stay fresh they need to start exploring more of the SW Universe.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #50
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

There can't be a Vader without James Earl's voice.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote