Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #41
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Debbie does Dallas was good back in the day.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #42
AsOneDead
You got red on you

It's funny how people are in denial that Indiana Jones isn't a trilogy anymore. There's a fourth film, like it or not, it's there.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #43
DSET
The Secret Six

even crystal skull better than the corny crap that was the temple of doom

I hate that film
love Raiders and Last crusade
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #44
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargersfan57 View Post
I don't agree, and I believe that the Crystal Skull can definitely be viewed as a stand alone title from the original trilogy.

You said it yourself Luminous that the 2 Star Wars trilogies take place in different eras, and I can't see how the same can't be said for Indy's films. The original trilogy is a young Indy in the prime of his life and Crystal Skull is a much older Indy. (Different eras)

And as far as the main characters go Crystal Skull introduces a new character in ( his retarded son) Mutt Williams.

Mutt takes center stage throughout the film so the recipe of the movie is quite different.
Yes Mutt was a introduced as a new character and yes it clearly seems he is being set up to be Indy's successor. However, Crystal Skull was still an Indian Jones movie through and through. Mutt never took "center stage", Indy was still very much the main character. It was still Indy the audience resonated with, it was still all of his action scenes, it was still his adventure.

Also, just because Indy aged a bit between 3 and 4, I don't see how it would constitute a new era for Indy. The focus of the film didn't shift away from Indy, it was still his story. In Star Wars the attention shifts from Anakin in the prequels to Luke in the originals. From father to son, a new era.

Quote:
And the protagonists Obi-Wan, C-3p0, R2, and Yoda, are in both SW trilogies, so it's not really different.
Those characters are not the protagonists of the original trilogy. It could be argued that Obi-Wan is in the prequels (I still think Anakin is), but not in the original trilogy. A protagonist is the main character, the central and primary personal figure that the audience identifies with. Obi-Wan, C-3PO, R2 and Yoda are all supporting characters in the original trilogy. Yes they are all present throughout all six films, but their roles change.

The prequels were about Anakin's journey, one that ends in tragedy. The originals are about Luke's journey, one that ends in the salvation of a galaxy and his father.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, Anakin/Vader is the Antagonist of both trilogies whereas the antagonist of Crystal Skull is completely new to the series so that would work against your argument...

Wouldn't you agree?
That depends on your view of Anakin as protagonist or antagonist in the prequels. To me he was clearly a hero first and foremost. The idea behind the prequels is that he was a good person until he was corrupted by the Dark side in the end. To me the Emperor is the only constant antagonist throughout all six films.

Let's also not forget that there was a different antagonist in each Indy film, so Crystal Skull having a new one doesn't mean anything. If anything it would add to my argument that all four films belong together through consistency.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #45
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSET View Post
even crystal skull better than the corny crap that was the temple of doom

I hate that film
love Raiders and Last crusade
All 4 films had supernatural and "corny" elements to them, thats part of their charm IMO. Which element was the most over the top depends on each individual's view of the film I guess. For me the knight guarding the Holy Grail in the cave from Last Crusade was the most far fetched. That said I love all the Indy films. Yes even Crystal Skull.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #46
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
All 4 films had supernatural and "corny" elements to them, thats part of their charm IMO. Which element was the most over the top depends on each individual's view of the film I guess. For me the knight guarding the Holy Grail in the cave from Last Crusade was the most far fetched. That said I love all the Indy films. Yes even Crystal Skull.
Its not the far fetched story that bothers me

its the cheesy dialogue, bad acting and childish characters in temple of doom that I find corny.

to me the other two didn't have that, at least not to that extent.

but hate is a strong word I definitely don't hate it
it just annoys me, doesn't fit with the other two IMO

In general I just find Crusade and Raiders to be better produced
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote