Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #41
Peter-Vell
a marvelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
Captain America? A guy that turned to experimantal drugs to enhance himself physically so he could step into the spotlight and be used as a propoganda tool while thousands of young American teens laid down their lives to defend our country and allies? Doesn't sound to heroic to me....and again...what did he overcome?
That only happened in the movie...As far as I know, he was never used as a propaganda tool. (but maybe we should ask someone who knows, like wktf?)
And it was exactly because he wanted to join those "thousands of young american teen lads" so badly but couldn't, that he took the serum.
Peter-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #42
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post

So by your definition Eric, a bystander is more heroic than a cop or a soldier? Because one has more power at his disposal? That's a pretty weak argument buddy.
I disagree. I firmly believe that an unarmed bystander who disarms a gun-toting lunatic is showing greater courage than a policeman who shoots the lunatic from across the street. There ARE levels of courage and levels of heroism.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #43
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-Vell View Post
Uhm, I may be outta line here, but Cap is not beyond the limits of an average man. He is supposed to be "Peak Human", or the peak of Human condition....HUMAN condition. No more, no less.

And on heroism: isn't it always the superheroes themselves who tell policemen and firemen that they are the real heroes, because they risk their lives without having superpowers? Doesn't this apply to an near invulnerable demi-god vs. a Peak Human?

Just my opinion.
oh come on, just because the serum is said to only raise him to "peak" levels (which yes is by definition far beyond avereag) doesn't mean thats all it does, or are there many peak humans who can do 1 10th of the ---- cap has been shown to do?
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #44
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post

So by your definition Eric, a bystander is more heroic than a cop or a soldier? Because one has more power at his disposal? That's a pretty weak argument buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
I disagree. I firmly believe that an unarmed bystander who disarms a gun-toting lunatic is showing greater courage than a policeman who shoots the lunatic from across the street. There ARE levels of courage and levels of heroism.

No one is saying Superman is not heroic - we're all comic book fans, we understand who Superman is, and what he does. The question is who is MORE heroic.

And Neil stole my thunder a bit, but he's completely right. A bystander that runs into a burning house to save someone, without training, gear, etc is heroism that is above and beyond. Not to say that firemen aren't brave, because they are amazing human beings, but that is just above and beyond.

And the same with a police officer - a cop stepping between an old woman and a mugger is different from a bystander doing it without a badge, gun or possible vest. Not to say both aren't heroic, but one just goes up a notch. And that's Cap.

And all of this really started for me in the WWII conversation - as if Superman participating in WWII was more heroic than Cap - which is ridiculous. Walking through a hail of bullets with a shield is still more dangerous than walking through a hail of bullets with bulletproof skin. And do you know why Cap did all of that? To save lives yes - but for the IDEAL of freedom and justice. Superman does what he does to save lives a lot of times. Most of what Cap does is for an ideal...something bigger than himself, and something completely intangible. That's why Cap is more heroic, IMHO
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #45
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
And Neil stole my thunder a bit, but he's completely right. A bystander that runs into a burning house to save someone, without training, gear, etc is heroism that is above and beyond. Not to say that firemen aren't brave, because they are amazing human beings, but that is just above and beyond.
well technicly speaking didn't Clark go into WW2 with no training or equpiment unlike cap that had years of training and pretty much a blank check from the US government, so by your logic Clarks envolvement was more heroic
Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #46
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
well technicly speaking didn't Clark go into WW2 with no training or equpiment unlike cap that had years of training and pretty much a blank check from the US government, so by your logic Clarks envolvement was more heroic
Are we talking about "bullets bounce off the chest" Clark Kent? Last time I checked he can't turn that off...but I'm no DC-National, not for certain lol
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #47
MrYac
Hercules

i'm just joking about that one obviously, but i still disagree that Cap is any more heroic, they are on the same level....aside from that whole Civil War terrorism thing Cap started but thats not the issue
Old 09-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #48
bebohawk
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Superman all the way Captain America he's just a man who use super steroid
bebohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #49
Ladylusiphur
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I think they're both flawed by their own strengths. The best thing about them both is that their heroism has been tested in recent years, and neither is black or white any more. It was nice seeing Daredevil question Cap in the last issue, and makes you wonder why such a great hero isn't out catching evil-doers rather than chasing down his colleagues.

Same with Superman. He claims to be the boy scout but sometimes in this day and age you need to be more than that, which is part of why he had to disappear for a year and has spent a lot of time questioning himself lately. At least Superman realises he isn't 'all that'. (well, the pre-Flashpoint version anyway)

And because Superman recognises that he's got to get work on his own character flaws I'll go with him as most heroic. It takes a real man to look inside and not like what he sees. Any Superhero can catch a bullet.
Ladylusiphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #50
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I'm not going against my initial statement that favored Cap, but one thing Supes has going for him is anytime he wants, he can wipe out 2/3's of the DC Universe's villains, clearly making the world an easier place to live in....

... but it's in his nature to "do the right thing", so he'll never stoop to that level. The few times he's strayed off course, it's weighed heavily on his conscience (though I'm incredibly unfamiliar with the character). I know how concerned he was in Identity Crisis; that's the Superman I hope is always patrolling DC's skyways.

Cap abides by the law also, and abhors killing, but I think he's actually ended greater evils by ultimately killing them (he's a soldier, after all) and I'm not SURE Supes has done that? Superman has more options available to him, though, while Captain America does not.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote