Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #41
built2shred
Phoenix

From various posts long ago, it seems Sideshow has an lock on Certain licenses, I don't think anyone but Sideshow can sell 1/4 Marvel, DC or Star Wars in North America because Sideshow has all those licenses. I'm sure there is a time limit on those licenses so when it ends I'm guessing XM could bid for them but given SS size I'm not sure XM could outbid them.

Other option is to do what Iron Studios did and give SS part of the profits to sell through their website and license. I'm not sure how well that will work out in the long run, didn't PCS have big issues working with Sideshow? or was it another company? Can't remember...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:17 PM   #42
Cougrcrumby
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archery View Post
Like most of you, I've just recovered from the awesome reveals at STGCC. I've finally boarded the XM hype train and preordered a few things. I've paid deposits + Singapore friend fees, but I've just realised, some of the pieces I've ordered haven't been painted yet. None of them have release dates. And the prices I'm paying as a non-Asian collector are INSANE.

Maybe I'm wrong, and XM will start shipping every batch of every new statue at the rate of two a month and clear the massive backlog of newly announced pieces. But if they want to maintain their QC, I think this is very unlikely.

Don't get me wrong, they've given Sideshow the kick up the rear end they sorely needed. They're giving secondary characters the treatment they deserve and in some pieces (e.g. Electro) I'm seeing Bowen done in 1/4 scale which puts a huge smile on my face.

My advice to XM: Get your house in order before you start taking people's money. Show fully painted pieces with official pictures on your website and provide realistic estimated release dates. I think collectors will be a lot less forgiving about delays when your statues cost non-Asian customers more than twice what your competitors charge.

Also drop your European distribution partner and find a new one. Their website stinks, their prices would make hardened flippers blush and they are now requiring 100% payment upfront for a number of pieces put on their website today. 1400 EUR for Cable? What are they smoking?
Holy cow there's a lot of brutality going this guys way for the sin of....wait for it.....bringing up a discussion about xm statues. As people have said...all of his subjects that he brought up are pointless...that's rediculous. You can read that he is a fan, he has multiple statues on order, he doesn't much care for the EU distribution partner. What's wrong with bringing this up? ... Nothing. Also, what's wrong with discussing maybe having some pictures up on the website before pre-order? Heaven forbid we talk about it before the " XM holy warriors" (That's right, I said it!) come out of the wood works on the attack.
Again, he just brought up a couple of suggestions. I think we all understand the game we have to play to be able to pick up pieces from XM if we live outside the countries they can sell to. XM obviously is doing something right because they are making incredible products and keep putting them out there. Peeps don't have to be vultures however..anytime someone says anything that doesn't praise to the gods of XM though.
Cougrcrumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #43
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougrcrumby View Post
Holy cow there's a lot of brutality going this guys way for the sin of....wait for it.....bringing up a discussion about xm statues. As people have said...all of his subjects that he brought up are pointless...that's rediculous. You can read that he is a fan, he has multiple statues on order, he doesn't much care for the EU distribution partner. What's wrong with bringing this up? ... Nothing. Also, what's wrong with discussing maybe having some pictures up on the website before pre-order? Heaven forbid we talk about it before the " XM holy warriors" (That's right, I said it!) come out of the wood works on the attack.
Again, he just brought up a couple of suggestions. I think we all understand the game we have to play to be able to pick up pieces from XM if we live outside the countries they can sell to. XM obviously is doing something right because they are making incredible products and keep putting them out there. Peeps don't have to be vultures however..anytime someone says anything that doesn't praise to the gods of XM though.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #44
Killer Instinct
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetMad View Post
At the end of the day it comes down to who is paying for what licenses where. Sideshow holds the US license for 1/4 Marvel. Therefore XM cannot have it as part of their contract. Its that simple. Always laughed how people complained at XM as though its their fault. If they could get a global license they would.

The only way XM will ever get USA license is if their contract is up and Marvel decide to give it to both of them, which is not likely to happen as Sideshow owns so much of the market. But anything could happen at the right time and place.

I just wish the Americans would stop whinging about shipping and how bad it is for them. The rest of the world has had to put up with horrible shipping prices from Sideshow, PCS, etc for many years, but they aren't always -----ing and complaining about it. We all just need to get what we can and trust the companies are doing their best to get us great pieces.
Not once did I complain about shipping in my quote.

I don't see why we should love SS as much as so many people do, crap QC, artist interpretation of a piece and lousy paint app. Sure some pieces do come out correct but some don't and it's like playing craps in Vegas with your money QC wise. Their ass should have distributed for XM if they had half a brain but if your greedy watch out if you don't produce quality products cause your clients will jump ship and you'll lose market share. Which I hope happens if it helps XM get more power to eventually come into North America.

No ONE company should hold the rights to produce 1/4 Scale Marvel comic book based statues in North America. If you think that's okay you're WRONG.

To have exclusivity in making 1/4 scale statues based on Marvel Comic Book Character is complete BS and people should wake up and see were losing out and being dominated by one company. Let them dominate distribution if they like but carry XM Products so we have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
From various posts long ago, it seems Sideshow has an lock on Certain licenses, I don't think anyone but Sideshow can sell 1/4 Marvel, DC or Star Wars in North America because Sideshow has all those licenses. I'm sure there is a time limit on those licenses so when it ends I'm guessing XM could bid for them but given SS size I'm not sure XM could outbid them.

Other option is to do what Iron Studios did and give SS part of the profits to sell through their website and license. I'm not sure how well that will work out in the long run, didn't PCS have big issues working with Sideshow? or was it another company? Can't remember...
I think they stopped for some reason but recently came back, you can buy None Exclusives from Sideshow of PCS pieces. Zangief and the new Ryu.

Hell, SS stopped carrying that Iron Studios Spiderman with all the issues it had so not sure why they can't be smart and work a deal out with XM so everyone can win.
Killer Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #45
Cali604
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
Adamantium Plus Member

I 100% agree with Cougrcrumby. I was going to post earlier but was pretty busy. I dont think Archery said anything terribly wrong and people did come at him kinda hard. I think choosing to call the thread "Hype train out of control' were the trigger words. Most XM collectors know that XM was attacked as pure Hype and Overrated when they started out and still are. A lot of people have been won over by actually viewing or purchasing the products and realize it wasnt just hype. But there are still a lot people who constantly attack XM

Archery didnt do that, in fact he complimented XM while critiquing certain things he doesnt like. He doesnt like the EU website that is something other people have issue with as well. He prefers XM only put up completed items for PO or set timelines. Once again valid points. Some people offered valid rationales as to why it is or works the way it does.

To me personally I knew Planet Hulk, Hulkbuster, Optimus were locks for me without even seeing them printed. As some people noted most often than not XM's final products are much better than their concepts/prints so it isnt a big risk but I understand his viewpoint. Also I'm not too worried about timelines, cuz I prefer having more time, and understand the nature of this business means there will always be delays so I'd rather not be disappointed. but I can see why people would prefer to know set times.

So lets just have a rationale discussion minus the pitchforks and hype trigger words
Cali604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:55 AM   #46
azurepred
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanny View Post
Every company gives inaccurate delivery dates.
Not ECC/CM. They're the best out there imo, compared to any statue company
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:40 AM   #47
Killer Instinct
Death is hereditary.

I've learn you gotta have thick skin on forums and this one is included. I created a thread about best piece to invest in and boy was I crucified for it, much worse than this OP. But people are right he shouldn't have been treated so badly cause people were mad at the hype train wording which is what rubbed people the wrong way. I know for a fact people rather be a d#$% than actually be compassionate towards a fellow human being. It's the internet on top of it so trolls are everywhere and not hiding under a bridge were they belong.
Killer Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:16 AM   #48
built2shred
Phoenix

I think his wording of the thread was more out of frustration then anything else.... Trying to secure XM statues at a fair price is very frustrating, not to mention you have to take a leap of faith in the process.... But as several people pointed out, it's not XM fault, they could only negotiate for the area Marvel would allow.

Can't blame Sideshow either, they're a big business and they have to protect themselves. To limit the competition you buy up all the licenses... Great business move but sucks for us customers who want more options without having to sell one of our kidneys to get those options
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:01 AM   #49
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

100% right Loricstone on all the statues released this year

I haven't received my She-Hulk or Kraven yet hopefully won't be too long

When I first started collecting XM I wanted them all

Now I still want them all but that's not gonna happen there's way too much coming out

Are you cutting back too or you still getting them all?

Let's see the dancing penguins

Im trying to get all 1/4 Comic XM statues. Now granted, I have sold my Magneto, Captain America, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine and maybe soon Black Widow. All went to great statue owners. I had to sell Mags especially because I was in the process of moving and needed the funds for security deposit and what not.

Also, I expect XM to make another Magneto down the line, definitely another Captain America (action pose), and Warbird. Obviously, I sold Wolverine because I knew about the new Wolvies coming out and I hate the blue and yellow pansy costume (XM's was phenomenal thogh).

But so far, I have all XM statues on PO up to and including Boba Fett. Sandman, Mysterio, and Ghost Rider should be starting to ship soon. Sandman is next for me. Oh!!! I'm passing on Elektra...just not a fan of that pose at all! I still don't know what the hell she is doing?? Lambada? Cha cha cha? Robocop? Beats me.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:10 AM   #50
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougrcrumby View Post
As far as i know...they do.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote