Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #41
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Well, what's the reasoning behind the high prices? They aren't using paperstock, ink, shipping - NOTHING - besides paying the artists - what cost is there?
I don't know that it's been actually confirmed by the companies, but I think initially it was to protect the comic shops, so they wouldn't be able to blame losing customers to digital due to pricing. I agree with you that the overhead is almost nothing for digital vs. paper, so now... I would say it's either to continue protecting the shops or simple greed. If enough people have been buying digital comics despite the prices then there's no incentive for them to drop prices. I've been buying quite a few titles digitally, but most have been during sales Comixology has had, where they sell titles for $.99. Can't bring myself to spend $3-$4 a title digitally...yet, that may change now that the books are going day and date... maybe.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:04 AM   #42
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Thumbs down

They are not going to get the new generation interested in weekly comics..
if theyare talking abt earth 1.. it was a self contained tale..yes.. but i do not see kids who were not reading coming into comic stores week in week out.. or even downloading weekin weekout.. there's too many other things..
after an initial splurge.. (mostly by us fans ) it'll be worse sales.. because they just alienated a wholebunch of us oldies who were reading comics.. and dont want to invest in a whole new age and for Bazinga!Bazinga!Bazinga!Bazinga!ting on a continuity they followed...

As a trend i see most of these guys becoming trade waiters...they shd hev just done it as an ultimate universe thing aka Marvel..( still hoping the superman we know comes bk after this..eventho i trust johns and his story telling abilities.. somethings shd never change)
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #43
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
You're going to love it in a year when DC goes back to original numbering...
I can see them pulling a Marvel at some point and revert back to the old numbers.

But I’ve heard an interesting theory. DC ditches the original Supes origin just in case they lose the copyright trial.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #44
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
I'm saddest about Green Lantern. That title does not need to be rebooted!
Given that the GL massive galaxy wide stories have driven DC in the last couple of years, seems weird to suddenly erase it all.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #45
ashley76
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Hi, all, DC Drone chiming in here. I think this move has been a long time coming. Some "comic purest" will hate it and slam it (but you know you will still buy just to check it out), but I wholeheartedly welcome this change.

Let's face it, as DC ramps up the movie business of course they want the comics to reflect the same thing. I imagine storylines will more than likely reflect closer to the movie side of things (of course this is just speculation). I have been wanting a total reboot for a few years now. I think Batman has had just about as many adventures as he can have in current continuity.

The same day digital news is icing on the cake. Personally I do not buy printed comics anymore. I don't have a local comic shop and I am not in it to collect anymore so digital comics are a perfect fit for me.

Congrats to DC for making this bold move!
ashley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #46
rodman2112
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

heroes reborn all over again. have deen a die hard dc/marvel collector for 30 yrs. I just cant shake the fact that characters i have enjoyed all these years will be somewhat strangers. looks like my pull list just got cut in half. its areal shame and sad for me to reliase crisis,jsa/jla crossovers, judas contract,new teen titans blackest night etc. suddenly never happend I think not . bye bye dc thanks for great memories I will miss you dearly
rodman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #47
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissnorek View Post

Frankly why should anyone care about the opinion of someone (or anyone) who thinks comics attained perfection thirty years ago?
You just described over half of the members here who still read comics. It's been my frustrating experience that many here instantly dismiss most stories, characters, or books that they didn't read in their own adolescence.

On topic though, this decision in isolation is IMHO, a terrible one. I actually saw a post yesterday here, in the X-Men movie thread I think, that spoke of the changing times in comics and how we need to adjust our way of thinking and embrace new ideas. I agree wholeheartedly, but it needs to be done right.

It occurred to me after reading this month's X-Men Legacy and watching Magneto and Rogue walk the grounds of a hollowed out Auschwitz, that Magneto talking about his teenage years in the concentration camp just wont fly in another decade where we are still reading comics set in "present day" (it barely does now), while we are still asked to accept he is an athletic forty something.

So with that in mind, the "re-booting" of the general age and attitude of the entire universe, be it DC, Marvel or other is entirely logical, and IMO inevitable, but again, it needs to be done right.

You can't give Clark an ipod, Twitter account, disdain for Ma and Pa Kent and declare it a job well done. I await this Brave New World with interest.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #48
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

I'm most interested to see all the new costume designs. Jim Lee seems to be holding somewhat close to tradition but with tweaks here and there such as the high collars which. I like the Superman costume without the red underoos, but from the angle he looks young. Certainly opens the door to new lines of statue and bust collectibles (a Sideshow partnership maybe). So the fact that there hasn't been a great DC statue line IMO might actually be a good thing. They've confirmed JLA, a JSA redo would not make sense, but I wonder if he will redo the Legion costumes harkening back to the Cockrum/Byrne days. I hope so as those were always my favorites. We no longer buy comics, but may stick a toe into the space-saving digital download world. Even $10/month would be $10 more than they get from me now.
I know some folks are gonna be furious. But I think this is probably a very smart move for realigning their comic, digital, game, TV and movie properties.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #49
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

I think we'll see this costume in Snyder's Movie then??
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #50
sleepindeath
Nightwing

To be honest I was not thrilled with this news as I would prefer Batman continue with its original numbering. DC has also given me a perfect jump off point for all of my DC Titles. But, before I bash the reboot, I will give the first Story Arc a chance for each of the books I currently collect.
sleepindeath is offline   Reply With Quote