Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #41
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
I have the Avengers/Invaders book, but missed the OHT book. I will have to check it out. Thanks!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #42
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Ok, let's have some fun here, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_craig View Post
I have never singled anyone out in my life, but one board member, ONE board member has brought me to posting a comment that I cant follow, or respond to on here.
After reading this I hope you understand, but I cant take the pull to defend myself, or explain things, but at the suggestion of other board members, whom also have a commission in waiting from me, to tell my side, because Kyle Roy is clearly taking things WAY to far. To the point he emailed me today to tell me he emailed my publisher so they would know who works for them.
From the broken sentences, what I think your saying is that one member here kept bothering you about the commissions or money you owed people so you finally felt the need to come in here and try to explain after laying low for the last several months. But that's only because he "took things way too far" by contacting your publisher to tell them that you have taken people's money and haven't produced the art that you were going to. Surely it's too far the he's contacted them, but it's not too far that you've essentially stolen money from people.

Quote:
I have learned he even kept people riled up on this message board like he was leading a lynch mob, of course he told me he was going to do so as a threat, and i guess copy and pasting conversations to do such , not sure he was explaining his daily harassing, 5 -10 or more emails a day calling me out, making threats, etc, which as I have told him is Harassment .
Sure, you say 5 or 10 e-mails a day and calling you out is harrassment. Bottom line is YOU have his money. YOU took his money. What is he supposed to do? Lie down and let you steal from him? Rest assured that you're going to make good on this even though it's been 8, 9, or 10 months now and no one, I repeat no one has seen a single piece of art from you? Oh, but sending you e-mails asking about it is harrassment?

Quote:
First of all I apologize for my situation and how its effected everyone.

Don't apologize. Just fix it. Art or refund. It's gone on too long, don't you think?

Quote:
Life was pretty simple last year, i had a couple health scares, and i have battled that all my life, last summer my heart stopped and i dropped in the yard, but in the scheme of things, wasnt that big of a deal health wise...lol

There was actually an issue I did at DC while in and out of the hospital, so i understand dedication and hard work, and i have NEVER made light of it.
Sorry to hear this. BUT given health issues, then maybe starting a commission list wasn't a good idea? But if what you say is true about dedication and hard work, then where are the commissions that you owe people? Dedication and hard work would have gotten them done by now, even in the face of adversity.

Quote:
Just a short few years ago things got so bad health wise that Heroes Initiative helped me and my son out and I have always had a soft spot for anything to help those in need.
That's what Heroes Initiative is there for. Great organization. Not sure it's relevant to this story though.

Quote:
Odd though when i was at my lowest, Kyle singled me out and felt the need, as he said, to speak on the message boards behalf because he himself didn't care, he was just gonna make sure I paid the consequences of my actions. So when others helped, he kicked more....on this boards behalf, according to him.
Is it really odd that you've taken someone's money and they call you out on it? He's not singleing (sp?) you out. He, or more precisely we, would have called out anyone who has taken money and not delivered. I've seen those postings on the comic art mailing list all the time. So, once again, what did you expect? For him to lie down and take it?

Not sure who the "others who helped" are in this as no one's helped you take this on. (If you're referring to the Hero Intiative, then sure they've helped many artists, but that's not the point here is it?)

There are consequences for actions. You take money and don't deliver art, then you get your name bandied about in a negative fashion and others get warned not to get commissions from you. N

Quote:
Its sad when i get emails from people apologizing for the thrashing i take on the message boards because they know what I am dealing with and to have that as well.
Are these people apologizing aware that you've taken people's money? Consequences for actions.. remember? You take money and don't deliver art, you get a bad reputation and people don't have nice things to say. You could fix all of this by refunding or producing art.

Quote:

Before i explain what has happened,which I feel shouldn't have to be explained, and even Kyle himself told me, he could care less about my personal problems, i feel maybe I should shed a look back. I don't want sympathy , not in any way, i simply want to shed light on this even though the
message boards ambassador said he doesn't care what i have to deal with, on top of dealing with his BS
No, you shouldn't have to explain. You should just produce the art or give refunds. It's not that we're not sympathetic. We are. To a point. This point is far beyond that level of sympathy. Story on story on story to a point where we can't keep it straight. Look, we're sorry things derailed for you. Sounds ----ty. But, we're not your family or your friends. These guys are your clients. Do you give the same stories to Dynamite, or whatever othere company, when you haven't produced art for them? Probably not. Same thing. (Not saying we couldn't have been friends, as there are many artist's whom are in that category here, but that involves respect and not stealing money from people here.

Quote:
End of last year, my , now ex wife and I had our 3 kids, my son, whom i have sole custody of and her 2, and we adopted 2 foster kids, one of which had Cerebral Palsy.

We had A TON of hoops to jump through for State Requirements, TONS of money that had to be spent at Christmas time and I was between books. In that down time I decided to take commissions,and with in a week, two weeks i was back on a book, at the same time was having to add on a room, remodel, do everything in my power to save money by doing the work/remodeling myself to save money to do all these things at Christmas time.

Shortly after finishing we then learned our house was on the demolition list for a highway expansion, tension in the marriage, and money problems, work pulling, family pulling, therapy every other day for our foster kids Cerebral palsy, literally life was tugging in EVERY WAY, and it was pulling on my health again, because Ive always battled Heart issues/blood pressure/stroke, etc...and i am only 38.

A few years ago when Heroes Initiative stepped in to help me out, it was the same battle, but even now, i work with a broken neck, I shattered my neck 9 years ago, i should be paralyzed from the neck down at the least, but no reason i shouldn't be dead, so everyday is pain, but i deal with it. It limits me a little, but not enough to complain. I was in a Coma, battled a lot of issues, growing up i spent most my childhood sick and in and out of hospitals...again, its just what life has always been to me, a series of health issues.
So it doesn't sound like "life" crept up on you in the last 9 months or so after you started the list. You had stuff going on before and had your hands full. Once again, maybe a commission list wasn't the best idea?

Quote:

None of this matters, its just life. We all have problems, pains, heartaches, family loss, you name it, we all deal with it
But here comes the lengthy explanation as to why you haven't been able to produce art for people, regardless of your earlier statement about hard work and dedication.

Quote:

Having this as my history, These last 9 months have been some of the hardest I have EVER dealt with.

The short version, I was homeless most the summer. Lost all my money, my ex wife ran up so much debt that i cant even open a bank account without paying that debt. In the divorce I was able to get my office building, which is a 12x30 building that's an amish built cabin/shed that i converted into an insulated room to work inside of. My grandmother paid to have it moved so i could get it back, and a family friend let me put it on a set of lots he had empty. He told me i could buy the lots when i get settled.

I have electricity, a couch, TV and internet, a small fridge and a cheap microwave my mom gave me from her own office last month when she lost her job.
Sorry about the homeless sitiuation. My girlfriend's brother was booted out of his apartment and went and stayed with friend and then eventually moved back in with his parents.

Also not to be difficult, or insensitive, but when you started the list, you were happily married? So you've gotten divorced in the last 9 months or so? That sounds like the fastest divorce ever. Especially with kids involved. Heck, my friend got divorced from her husband and they only had one kid and it took somewhere around 2 years and a good chunk of money.

Quote:

Any parents out there will know, raising a kid not only requires school clothes, books etc....but housing accommodations. So my fix, my son sleeps at my mothers or grandmothers at night, and I sleep on my little couch in my office, BUT with no water/sewer I have to walk 2 blocks to my parents house to go to the bathroom and shower.....the things we take for granted. Is it depressing, VERY, but I know things will get better.
So, if you wake up in the middle of the night and need the bathroom, you walk two blocks to your parents place, then walk back to your office?

Quote:
Its funny, in the last few months the comic book community has been amazing in that they learn about whats been happening to me and offering to help in any way, but i wont take it, Ill fix it, I dont like help.
But you took help from the Hero Intiative a couple of years ago? Dude, sounds like maybe you should take the help. Don't let pride stand in the way. Take the help, get on your feet, and then pay people back later when you're doing better. Just my thoughts. Otherwise you're having to walk two blocks at 2 am when you need to take a leak.

Quote:
But on the flip I have threats from Kyle demanding i give him his money back, and how everyone hates me etc. I have never even been in a situation to be one to return money, i have always said ill do it when i can, BUT I also said, I have no way to return money i dont have.
But you shouldn't have taken money for art you haven't produced. When you realized you weren't going to get this done timely, then you should have given the money back to people. It wasn't your money until the job was complete. This whole thing sounds like you were in a bad spot,needed money, came in here with the commission list idea, raised some money, and then are just hoping everyone would conveniently forget that you owed them art. It sounds like the makings of a scam. That's why people are pissed. You'd be pissed if people took your art and didn't pay you for it, right? Same concept.

Quote:
Every dime I make on Evil Ernie is spent before I get it, I literally keep NONE of the money. I get my check, I sign the back, my mom cashes it for me since I dont have an account, and she starts paying bills in order for me because without a checking account etc, I have no debit card, nothing, so she pays my bills and right now its going to be another month before i finally get caught up to where i am just simply staying even, Still no bathroom, no water, etc....just even so i can go back into debt to have those things.
It also sounds like every dime you made off of your commission list was spent before you earned it, and given that you can't refund people it goes to reason that you don't have any of that money left either.

Quote:
Is any of this anyones business, honestly no, it makes me feel horrible crying on someones shoulder...or feeling like thats what I am doing.
Well yes. It should make you feel bad. Know what makes people here feel bad? Is that they're out their hard earned money that is gone and they have nothing to show for it. No bills paid. No art. Nothing. It's just gone.

Quote:
Today, really today I got infuriated, not because what was said hurt men in any way, just the fact that Kyle, the self proclaimed ambassador of this forum making sure I pay for my sins of screwing people over emailed me, stating He took it upon himself to email my employer, Dynamite so they would understand who they have working for them.
See.. you sort of admit you screwed people over here. That's a step. What else was Kyle supposed to do? He doesn't have his money nor does he have the art that he paid for. Once again, was he just supposed to go away? He felt that by contacting Dynamite that it might instill something to happen and get results. It did sort of as you came in here and posted. Unfortunately it didn't get you to create art for people though.

Quote:
Anyone working in comics knows, Editors don't dig artist doing commissions while there carrying a deadline. So in that respect, he just stated what I already told them, i had a stack of commissions to get done but with everything going on, its been all i can do to keep my deadlines afloat. School starting with my son, school clothes, books, etc.....before that the divorce.....its been one thing after another, and the fact losing my banking , i lost my PayPal, debit cards, everything, i am as unplugged from society as you can get.
I would also think that editors don't dig an artist not producing commission art and essentially giving their company a bad name amongst a certain subset of collectors.

Quote:
I apologize from the bottom of my heart and the ones Ive kept in touch with, i have assured everyone that i am giving more than what was paid for, and yes I understand the time that's been elapsed. I have never been one to do commissions, works usually so backed up that with work, being a full time single dad, that I never have spare time. The commissions I do take, the people are so excited to get them they could care less how long it takes, they spend Hundreds and hundreds, sometimes thousands, and they get it when i have time which is usually with in the year.They dont care, they want my best and they know they will get it with me not pressured by deadlines, and they dont want it to effect my deadlines.
See.. at this point I don't think that anyone wants "more than what they paid for" but instead they want what they paid for, which is commissioned art. So far they haven't gotten anything. It's not like you show that you're making progress on the list. Finishing a piece or two and posting it goes a long way to reassuring people that the work is being done. So far all you've posted in a half assed Zatanna with a screwed up face that you were asked to redo.

You state with the commissions you do take, people are excited to get them. I would imagine it's more surprised to get them as they'd given up? Or they're excited to get them as that means you actually followed through on what you promised.

Also, if people are spending hundreds and hundreds and sometimes thousands and thousands on your commission work, then start knocking some out and you'll have your financial issues cleared up in no time. That does entail you actually having to create and produce the finished art though. Which so far doesn't seem to be the case here.

Though in the same paragraph you stated that you usually don't do commissions as work is too backed up to do them. So I'm slightly confused. You don't do commissions but when you do you get hundreds to thousands, but you generally don't do them? Ultimately it still appears that you don't do commissions as you haven't produced anything. Other than a pretty angry subset of collectors.

Quote:
Kyle smarted off I would make up a story and try to take more commissions and like everything else i have said, I am sorry for this situation and I wont take any more commissions this way again, i dont like the fact its caused this much trouble, and God Knows I hate the constant emails saying, are you done yet? and then hearing how much of a prick i am.

So I apologize to everyone and I will fix it
So just fix it and start showing off art and stop talking about how you're going to fix it and do "more" for people.

Quote:
everyone please get in touch with me at my email jasoncraigart@yahoo.com, and I will use that as a way to keep in touch to close out everyone's commissions, i have nothing against this message board I just cant take the bashing, got to much on my mind, lack of sleep, deadlines, life....dont need to have a website telling me how screwed up my life is...lol, I hope you understand.
Kyle was trying to keep in touch with you but it sounds like you weren't responding. Hence the need for multiple e-mails. The bashing only started as you didn't come through with anything to show for all your talk. We're not telling you your life is screwed up. All we're saying is that you owe art or money to people. It's a pretty simple concept.

Quote:
Please dont think bad of me. Evil Ernie is rocking and rolling and I am REALLY proud of how its looking and I hope you guys give it a chance, Jesse and I are really proud of it. (and for those in the loop, thats the ReLaunch book Jesse and I have had in the works since Late Nov/December)
Good that the book is doing well. We'll think better of you when you produce art or refunds to those that you owe. Once again, pretty simple concept. If the book is doing well, that means you should eventually be earning money that you can use to repay people that you owe, and that don't want the art from you after all this time and drama.

Quote:
I will post ONLY today's conversation but I thought you guys can see what I deal with, and what I mean when I say Kyle is a self proclaimed ambassador since according to him, he speaks on the boards behalf.
I'll let Kyle address the e-mail situation directly as he's got more information on that. Kyle maybe a self appointed ambassador, but I'm fairly certain he's speaking on the behalf of all the people that you've taken money from and owe art to.

Quote:

So now you know what ive delt with, and a SMALL taste of what i deal with , with Kyle...seriously...if i was out to screw people over, i wouldnt care, nor would i be replying to anyone, or even feel bad, as soon as I am able to get this fixed I promise its going to be fixed, I was already doing things at half price, I WANT to give more than what was wanted or paid for, so I promise everyone will be taken care of and again, my email jasoncraigart@yahoo.com

Just drop me a line, say this is so and so and this was my project so Ill know who I am talking to away from the message boards.

Thanks for your time and again, I apologize for any problems Ive caused.

Even at half price, no art is still no art. Wanting to give more than what was wanted or paid for is great, but you haven't been able to complete what was paid for. That's part of the problem here. I'm also slightly concerned if you need people to drop you a line and tell you what you owe them. You should have a list of what commissions you owe to whom.

Once again. Stop apologizing and just create art or refund people's money.

Don
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #43
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

heres the short story for those just joining the thread.

Quote:
posting a comment that I cant follow, or respond to on here

I have never even been in a situation to be one to return money

I have never been one to do commissions

Thanks for your time
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #44
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Well, sure.. if you want to simplify things.

Don
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #45
snappahead
Producer
Producer

I want to nominate this as the most misleading thread title ever. Good grief.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #46
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #47
Tom_Forbes
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I'll go out on a limb here and assume this Jason guy isn't too popular around here . I missed out on all this mayhem so reading this thread is pretty interesting.
Tom_Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #48
Durins
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Having gone through this kind of thing before, hard luck story and all, I'm glad I don't have a pony in this race. I'm really sorry for all of you that got fleeced. I hope there's a resolution coming to your satisfaction.
Durins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #49
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Now you know why I get so frustrated with this guy whenever I talk to him. In "clearing things up" all he's done is call me out for asking for a refund or the originally promised artwork. In my world, when you clear things up you come to a resolution. Whether its setting a firm deadline for the finished art, or going ahead with the refund. So far JC is just playing the same game he's been playing since he started this commission list and hasn't cleared anything up in the least.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #50
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Forbes View Post
I'll go out on a limb here and assume this Jason guy isn't too popular around here . I missed out on all this mayhem so reading this thread is pretty interesting.
You can find the original 30 page thread on this forum (probably buried 4-5 pages back)
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote