Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 06-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #41
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

They gotta sell enough of these 1st to move onto the next phase.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #42
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTardist View Post
But at this point the Frazetta family has approved the rough sculpt of the horse. The helmet is another matter. lol

Just curious but which members of the Frazetta family have to approve it? I know they had to divide up the paintings because they couldn't get along. There is Frank Jr., Billy, Holly, and Heidi. Do they all sign off individually or is there one that is a spokesperson or how does it work?

I'm pretty sure Heidi owns this Death Dealer, does that mean she has the rights to it or is it still a group decision?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #43
ReTardist
The Herculoids

I believe Arahom is conducting business with Frank Jr.
ReTardist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #44
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Does the Frazetta family have a say in the price also or is it Just ARH.Either way you have great talent.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #45
ReTardist
The Herculoids

As far as I know, the license is sold by the Frazetta family with certain requests attached to it and then the licensee has to make their money back after covering all the overhead costs. Its quite an investment. But I haven't really spoken to Arahom much about that side of things.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #46
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Much as I love it I don't think I would pay $1000 for it.

Not when I already have a very well done smaller piece (2 actually with the 7" Darkhorse ministatue) of the same artwork.

I'll have to wait to see the final product but intially I'm thinking that is just too high for me.
I had a Frazetta collector comment to me about how annoyed they were when the Dark Horse piece came out. I guess at the time the bronze was it, implied that would be it. Then the same sculpt came in color, then smaller version in color, now similar sculpt in 1:4, expect a 1:2 version sometime in the future. We have to realize that for the Frazetta's a piece like this is pretty much the huge draw so they have to license it to death. I think it looks great so far but I'd be lying if I didnt say the thought of a bronze of this chaps me a bit (I own the Bowen bronze) because it seems to diminish pieces I already own.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #47
warhead

I got the feeling that Frank jr and wife and kids are running the museum stuff...thought I read somewhere that Frank jr got the museum and merchandise stuff back.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #48
warhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstojano View Post
I had a Frazetta collector comment to me about how annoyed they were when the Dark Horse piece came out. I guess at the time the bronze was it, implied that would be it. Then the same sculpt came in color, then smaller version in color, now similar sculpt in 1:4, expect a 1:2 version sometime in the future. We have to realize that for the Frazetta's a piece like this is pretty much the huge draw so they have to license it to death. I think it looks great so far but I'd be lying if I didnt say the thought of a bronze of this chaps me a bit (I own the Bowen bronze) because it seems to diminish pieces I already own.
It does take away some of the Awe and must own vibe that the Bowen Deathdealer and Moore's Barbarian had.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #49
ReTardist
The Herculoids

Im not trying to start any controversy or be defensive but is this any different than DC splitting up a Batman license to different vendors who do things at different scales? Personally I don't feel that my sculpts take anything away from the Bowen and Moore sculpts. They are simply different. I look up to those guys and respect the influence they've had on our community. In fact I kind of feel like by doing these at a different scale, we are avoiding stepping on anyone's toes. I've actually sweated over both their sculptures so in no way do I feel like I'm stepping up to them with any disrespect.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #50
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I think the difference is that DD1 IS the painting, it doesn't really exist in movies, comics (I know they did comics but this is derivative as well) - its all based on the original painting. I don't want to steer this into controversy either and only mention it because an older collector gave me that same historical perspective.

As in as I am for these pieces, I do think the scale issue is interesting as well. I always assumed that 1/6 was pretty close to 1:1 to the actual paintings whereas 1/4 should be larger than the paintings. So rather than "bringing the painting to life" this larger scale changes that dynamic a bit.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote