Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #41
Spideristic
Kingpin

Hence it was not part of the core 5 things, it was a postend suggestion.

Though Miles is embraced by lot of the comic readers, Peter Parker is what most of the world knows as the alter ego of Spider-Man. With Spidey making an entry into the MCU it would not be ideal to go with a different Spidey now. Maybe if needed they could introduce him down the line in the sequels as taking on the mantle.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #42
MrYac
Hercules

hey I've got no problems with Miles, in fact I think that's how they should always handle a drastic change to what the "accepted" character should be. a whole new character rather then just slapping a fresh coat of paint on an existing one
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #43
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Saw this yesterday and am so ecstatic for it! They better do an amazing job recreating the Iron Spider suit for Civil War!
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #44
TheStig88
The X-Men

Megaton. Can't wait to see how this shakes things up.
TheStig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #45
Spideristic
Kingpin

Hugh Jackman Reacts to the Marvel and Spider-Man Deal

Some tweets from Devin Faraci:

"Before we start trotting out "superhero overload" re: Spider-Man keep in mind there is no new film being announced, just a new direction.

Sony was always going to make another Spidey movie. The only difference is now it'll be good.

Since Marvel doesn't own Spider-Man and has no guarantee they can use him forever, I bet Spidey is NOT central to the MCU.

Which, honestly, he shouldn't be. It's a mistake to make the character as huge in-universe as he is in the real world.

Last Spidey thought before I go back to work: Sony will not announce SINISTER SIX is dead, but don't hold your breath for it.

They'll sit on it until they see how the MCU stuff shakes out. Nothing will happen in the near future, I bet."
Old 02-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #46
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
some good points up until "Make Miles Morales Spider-Man". I for one am sick to death of the ultimate universe seemingly being the go to for all things. especially with his idea of pretty much just making Pete's story and life but with Miles instead
Same here. Never have been an ultimate fan.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #47
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
some good points up until "Make Miles Morales Spider-Man". I for one am sick to death of the ultimate universe seemingly being the go to for all things. especially with his idea of pretty much just making Pete's story and life but with Miles instead
Yeah he had me right up to that point also.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #48
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Some interesting casting choices.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh...ew-spider-man/
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #49
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

First off, Spiderman has never been one of my top Marvel characters. I like him okay, have seen all the movies, and have a ton of collectibles, but this is not necessarily earth shattering news to me. I don't know if it will get more butts in seats for Marvel, but it might help the Spiderman side.

I actually liked Garfield in the role, moreso than Tobey Mcguire and Emma Stone was much better than Dunst IMO. However I'm guessing Marvel might go to a teenaged Peter Parker and cast someone in their late teens/very early 20s. Possibly an unknown or an up-and-comer which would be a very good idea. That way the character can grow over an arc of 2-3 movies and pop in on some of the Marvel flicks. Whoever lands this plum role is going to skyrocket. While I'm all for diverse casting, and I so despise when the trolls come out, I believe Spider-man should be Peter Parker, a white teenager from a working class neighborhood and MaryJane should be a cute redhead. No reason there can't be more diversity in the supporting cast of friends and/or villains. And for crying out loud, bring JK Simmons back as JJJ. I'd also love to see Simmon's JJJ playing off Iron Man, Thor or Fury.

Thankfully they are foregoing the retelling of the origin yet again. I thought all the conspiracy stuff with Peter's family was unnecessary. To me just get back to the basics of a teenager getting bitten by a radioactive spider. You don't need to over explain it or try to make it super science. The audience will go with it as long as you make a good movie. SONY finally got the costume about right, so hopefully Marvel will tweak and not try to completely reinvent. Would be cool to see Tony jump in with an Iron Spidey costume, but I doubt it will get Stark tech.

There are a couple of things I really do like about the announcement. First, sharing the universe and allowing crossovers into Spiderman films is good all around (FOX needs to take notes). Second, if they go with a teen Spiderman, I think it can give the younger audience a character they'll be able to relate with, which is something missing from the current Marvel Cinematic Universe. So the writers will have a unique voice they can add to the narrative.

Anyway, yes the announcement was a long time coming. Let's see what they do with it.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #50
Spideristic
Kingpin

Though I don't want any of his origins being shown or retold (including the spider bite), there is one aspect of the origin which I think could be highlighted.

Uncle Ben's quote "With great power comes great responsibility" needs to be echoed through Peter at least once in the film.

It irks me that they shortened/changed it entirely in the Amazing Spider-Man movie.