Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 03-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #41
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

The biggest reason why everyone should be against reissues is that a reissue would take the spot of getting someone new finally made.

Imagine if in the next 2 years we only got five more DRS statues and two of them were reissues or new sculpts on previously sculpted characters? Just to finish out the gatefold image of the first comic we still need Storm, Iceman, Prof. X, Jean, Angel, and Beast. And let's not forget fan favorites that have been asked for like Sabretooth, Mr Sinister, Apocalypse, Omega Red, etc.

Even if they're expensive, at least Psylocke, Collossus, Cyclops, Wolverine, Gambit, Magneto, Juggernaut, and Rogue are already made and done. The above list has no chance of being made if people are gonna complain about the ones they missed and just want a new sculpt of so they can get it for a cheap price
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #42
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
It's hard to sustain interest in a line where some of the most desired pieces were produced half a decade ago. New entrants don't have a chance to obtain whatever they may desire. And for the X-Men lets face it a complete lineup is desired by a lot.

I don't see $200 statues enough as high end collectibles worthy of protection by inducing an artificial scarcity so far below demand, especially at the expense of the producing company which is still trying to support the line.
Common qz, that's malarkey and you know it.

You're a PCS guy. The Street Fighter line didn't die because people missed out on Zangief, Ryu and Akuma. If anything that rarity helped. In my opinion it was the introduction of a new character with a new art direction (Sagat) that re-invigorated the line. Had Jerry just re-released Akuma it would have none of the success it enjoys now.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #43
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
The biggest reason why everyone should be against reissues is that a reissue would take the spot of getting someone new finally made.

Imagine if in the next 2 years we only got five more DRS statues and two of them were reissues or new sculpts on previously sculpted characters? Just to finish out the gatefold image of the first comic we still need Storm, Iceman, Prof. X, Jean, Angel, and Beast. And let's not forget fan favorites that have been asked for like Sabretooth, Mr Sinister, Apocalypse, Omega Red, etc.

Even if they're expensive, at least Psylocke, Collossus, Cyclops, Wolverine, Gambit, Magneto, Juggernaut, and Rogue are already made and done. The above list has no chance of being made if people are gonna complain about the ones they missed and just want a new sculpt of so they can get it for a cheap price

good point
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:06 PM   #44
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:

PRECISELY! Why not finish the rest of the line first before they demand for RE-ISSUE. They only think of themselves hahahaha. how about the others (like me) who completed the line and who wants to add more X-MEN characters..
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #45
mickey
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Like people have been saying...there's always the chance of resculpts.
Would love some previously released Koto figures to be reissued, but for this line, yeah, I think resculpt is the way to go. Same character version with a new pose. I would love to see a blue Cyclops, yellow Wolverine and a Gambit in a new pose. And since the previous statues have been released years ago the artist(s) who's going to be working on new sculpts probably got better.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #46
ryanrocks
Frackin!

As much as i wanted a reissue because i also missed the prev releases. But reissue will just hurt the value of the statue.

Just an example - Hot Toys Iron man line, they keep on releasing the very same character with slight tweaks on it (except for the diecast ver). The value of old figures are now below SRP, some are even half the SRP. The feeling of "limited" is no longer there.. Feels like everyone has it. The challenge of hunting the figure got lost which is the fun or exciting part of collecting

Yeah there are advantages of reissue like it will reduce scalpers and it will invite new ones. But its just a sad thing for old collectors and to those who bought a premium price. Hehehe
ryanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:19 AM   #47
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

. Re-issues.

If this was mentioned in a Sideshow or Bowen thread, u re-issues ppl would get eaten alive. I'm insulted by it to an extent. I've spent a lot of $ and time on this line, like many others on this forum. You newbies and cheapskates need to quit crying.We get great news finally, then ppl who have invested little in this line are throwing wrenches. Trying to devalue/sabotage this great line. Such a shame. Complete dog s**t.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:34 AM   #48
Naru
Mephisto

New characters is the way to go moving forward. The X universe has a lot to offer. Once we've completed a run of most popular characters I'm open to seeing existing x men done in Classic or modern costumes but definitely no re issues of existing releases. It's Fine Art for a reason
Naru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:28 AM   #49
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:

I think the distinction between revisiting a character with a new sculpt vs. reissuing a previously released statue again at retail is getting lumped together.
Sosa's only sculpting 6 Fine Arts per year. That doesn't mean Kotobukiya can only relase 6 per year at retail.
Your argument is precisely the same as mine. I don't want Wolverine, Cyclops, Psylocke, Mags etc to take the place of new characters.
The design work has already been done by Koto.
A reissue is like easy cake compared to starting from scratch working through approvals, templating production, etc. Kotobukiya making additional money from previous releases in this line isn't going to hurt the chances for new characters in this line. Resculpts are back to development hell.

And mickey these are all sculpted by Eric Sosa. At this point I don't want anyone else doing them. If Sosa did new sculpts they would either be seen as inferior OR they would be more admired and still damage the current value of the originals that so many are desperate to protect. And then that's less NEW characters.
And DiscoCougar for the record I want to buy every single character you mentioned above sculpted by Sosa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
Common qz, that's malarkey and you know it.

You're a PCS guy. The Street Fighter line didn't die because people missed out on Zangief, Ryu and Akuma. If anything that rarity helped. In my opinion it was the introduction of a new character with a new art direction (Sagat) that re-invigorated the line. Had Jerry just re-released Akuma it would have none of the success it enjoys now.
And I've never payed aftermarket prices above retail for *any* PCS piece as I would feel totally foolish. I don't own the older releases for that very reason.
Compared to PCS, especially early PCS, the edition sizes are a bit different. There's 2500+ Rogues! That's ~1500 Rogue buyers that can't even have a companion Gambit, Psylocke, or Colossus no matter what they pay! What's their motivation for working towards that ever illusive X-Men #1 cover being complete?
Koto sets the #s based on information they have at the time. The market has expanded. If they didn't feel they could sell more of these than the past they wouldn't even be bothering continuing the line.
And I agree about Sagat. However a lot PCS fans collect for different reasons than this DRS line. They are forever chasing the dream of Akuma, Zangief, and Sagat status. If they get one of them they relish the feeling they are part of some exclusive club. With each new Mixed Media release they hope to one day approach those same heights. Well guess what? It ain't gonna happen as those days of rarity are long gone. I wouldn't even pay $600 for Akuma unless it was only to resell it later for way more. Not because it isn't well done but because it's a little statue that originally retailed for ~$250 and my mind isn't that far gone to pay $2000+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
. Re-issues.

If this was mentioned in a Sideshow or Bowen thread, u re-issues ppl would get eaten alive. I'm insulted by it to an extent. I've spent a lot of $ and time on this line, like many others on this forum. You newbies and cheapskates need to quit crying.We get great news finally, then ppl who have invested little in this line are throwing wrenches. Trying to devalue/sabotage this great line. Such a shame. Complete dog s**t.
Have a ton of respect for you Vecchio so totally not trying to insult you! We just have different views on this matter and this is just a discussion. I do hope GONK is in here just to hear what EVERYONE has to say even if not the same as me.
For me these aren't $500+ PFs or sub 400 edition sizes.
I don't see a point in trying to preserve $500+ selling prices on statues that originally retailed for $170.
People give Koto crap for even rereleasing Bishoujo. They're $50 figures! I got Catwoman for $42. If they decided to rerelease her I couldn't care less despite her inflated selling price. I'd probably get another.
I just don't participate in the secondary appreciation aspect of this hobby.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:33 AM   #50
mickey
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I think the distinction between
And mickey these are all sculpted by Eric Sosa.

I got Catwoman for $42. If they decided to rerelease her I couldn't care less despite her inflated selling price. I'd probably get another.
I just don't participate in the secondary appreciation aspect of this hobby.
Yeah, after all these years Sosa probably grown as an artist & got even better. So new sculpts, old character with new poses might look better than his old work.
If they produced new and better sculpts, people might not mind not having the old statues and they would be ok if they aren't re-issued.

I have a Supergirl 1/6 ArtFX, and I think she can be sold for twice her original price now. If they decide to give her another go, I wouldn't mind as well
I got a Jason bishoujo, and a year ago, her price went up. I kinda enjoyed that, but I'm fine with them re-releasing Jason so newbies could get into the horror bishoujo line.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote