Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 10-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #41
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I don't know if this was posted or not but here's the incredulous reaction from Frank DeFord, senior contributing writer for Sports Illustrated. Crom, he echoes some of the thoughts you posted:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6380094
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #42
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nuff View Post

They are going to have to ban tests for the same reason...Glad I am old and will not live long enough to see where the whiney parents are going to lead this country through litigation to protect their kids from failure....
The ironic thing is we tend to learn the most (about ourselves and whatever given subject) from our personal struggles and failures. By attempting to dissolve conflicts (or personal challenges) altogether, we risk stunting our most meaningful growths throughout the life span.

Sadly, this also perpetuates a state of non-accountability. Why be responsible for anything when we sometimes seem to be rewarded more for our (for lack of a better term) flaws than our strengths? As a result, it tends to create and engender this sense of entitlement in children and teens. It's undeserved, unrealistic, arguably debilitating, and may set them up for even greater if not more heartwrenching failures later on in life as they may come to expect things to come easily to them.

Somewhere along the line, society has become so much more about the individual than about any majority group. The pendulum has swung so far to one side, there are times when it looks like the rights of the majority tend to be seen as an indulgence the individual bestows upon them.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #43
Nightwinger
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
The ironic thing is we tend to learn the most (about ourselves and whatever given subject) from our personal struggles and failures. By attempting to dissolve conflicts (or personal challenges) altogether, we risk stunting our most meaningful growths throughout the life span.

Sadly, this also perpetuates a state of non-accountability. Why be responsible for anything when we sometimes seem to be rewarded more for our (for lack of a better term) flaws than our strengths? As a result, it tends to create and engender this sense of entitlement in children and teens. It's undeserved, unrealistic, arguably debilitating, and may set them up for even greater if not more heartwrenching failures later on in life as they may come to expect things to come easily to them.

Somewhere along the line, society has become so much more about the individual than about any majority group. The pendulum has swung so far to one side, there are times when it looks like the rights of the majority tend to be seen as an indulgence the individual has the power to bestow upon them.
See...that's what I said.
Just not as good. Or with as many big words.

I want a ban on posts that say the samething after someone has already made the point. it make the original person feel small and insignificant.
And my feelings are all boo-booed,now.

Last edited by Nightwinger; 10-27-2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: They don't have meetings about rainbows.
Nightwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #44
sellin71
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwinger View Post
See...that's what I said.
Just not as good. Or with as many big words.

I want a ban on posts that say the samething after someone has already made the point. it make the original person feel small and insignificant.
And my feelings are all boo-booed,now.
That's right. From now on, we must use run on sentences (I already do that) and never use words that most people can't use at Scrabble. Every post must contain the word sux at some point. All you "smart" members are making some of us feel inferior. Not me of course, but some of my friends.
sellin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #45
Nightwinger
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellin71 View Post
That's right. From now on, we must use run on sentences (I already do that) and never use words that most people can't use at Scrabble. Every post must contain the word sux at some point. All you "smart" members are making some of us feel inferior. Not me of course, but some of my friends.
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he represents.

HHHAAAAAAHHHAHHAhaahahahahaahahahahahaaa
Nightwinger is offline   Reply With Quote