Old 12-28-2006, 02:12 AM   #41
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

He should charge more.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #42
Scottsdale Saint
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

i've gone ahead and bitten the bullet on this one. yah, it's a little pricey, but who knows how long this opportunity will be available, so i'm going to go ahead and put myself on the list. i'm looking forward to getting it already...
Scottsdale Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #43
risingstar
Jedi Order

I met Finch in NY in 2003.
He was kind enough to do this Nightcrawler sketch for me.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:42 AM   #44
Dr.V2005
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I remember when I saw him at a con in Dallas (12/2005) and got a Thor sketch for FREE! He gave some shpeal about how the fans shouldn't pay out the nose for an artist they support by buying their books...man, how times have changed.
Dr.V2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:55 AM   #45
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I just e-mailed him and requested a Jack of Hearts and 70s Captain Marvel piece. I'll let everyone know if I hear back from him.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:11 AM   #46
Scottsdale Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.V2005 View Post
I remember when I saw him at a con in Dallas (12/2005) and got a Thor sketch for FREE! He gave some shpeal about how the fans shouldn't pay out the nose for an artist they support by buying their books...man, how times have changed.
uhhh, no not really. Finch still does con sketches for free. these commissions are pin-up quality, a far cry from the simple head shots he's done gratis at the conventions. i've also seen free full body shots that he's done at comic shop appearances in the past year. a buddy of mine got a Moon Knight full body shot, it's not the quality of the commisssions he's doing, but it's still pretty cool.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:30 AM   #47
Royd
Producer
Producer

Good point Saint! Dave did a Juggernaut sketch for my son at the Supanova Con in Brisbane, Australia back in 2004 and didn't charge anything. However, the pin-ups featured in this thread are far more detailed/finished with a commensurate price tag. Demand and supply also mean that Dave can charge at this level.

Hmmm, this reminds me that Dave promised me a sketch when we went to dinner with him (and his mum who wanted to visit Oz) together with Stuart Immonen who was also a guest at that convention - I wonder if Dave will remember if I e-mail him *heheh* Best,

Royd
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111 (My CAF gallery featuring artwork by Adam Hughes, Stuart Immonen, Travis Charest etc. but no Dave Finch (one day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale Saint View Post
uhhh, no not really. Finch still does con sketches for free. these commissions are pin-up quality, a far cry from the simple head shots he's done gratis at the conventions. i've also seen free full body shots that he's done at comic shop appearances in the past year. a buddy of mine got a Moon Knight full body shot, it's not the quality of the commisssions he's doing, but it's still pretty cool.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #48
Dr.V2005
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale Saint View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love Dave's work and I don't blame him AT ALL for charging, but as of 11/06 at Wizard World Texas he was asking $250 for a sketch, so he's really not doing any gratis work anymore (at least at cons). I was mearly trying to point out how over a short period of time philosophies change..again not that there is anything wrong with asking people to compensate you for your time and talents.
Dr.V2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:15 PM   #49
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hey Doc V,

No argument with changing philosophies or increased pricing, however, there seems to be a standard which most artists employ with sketches. Going by Adam Hughes' example, he has done free head sketches at cons, more detailed con sketches (from his sketch list) for $200 and the very rare commission (ie from home) for undisclosed amounts. Just an observation on pricing schedules Best,

Royd
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 AM   #50
Scottsdale Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.V2005 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love Dave's work and I don't blame him AT ALL for charging, but as of 11/06 at Wizard World Texas he was asking $250 for a sketch, so he's really not doing any gratis work anymore (at least at cons). I was mearly trying to point out how over a short period of time philosophies change..again not that there is anything wrong with asking people to compensate you for your time and talents.
i totally get what you're saying, but i just want to clarify my point. he will still do the freebie con sketch, given the right circumstance, but...they are not nearly as nice as what these full blown commissions are. i also think if i was given the choice of a $250 sketch at a con, and a $500 one done at home, i'll take the one done at home. an artist sitting in the comfort of his own home is more than likely going to do something considerably better in those circumstances...but as you and others have said, to each their own.