Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 06-21-2006, 05:36 AM   #491
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Jess, you are the calming yin to my raging yang!

I was seriously annoyed yesterday, mainly because I know the way we CAN play. This team have the potential to win this tournament, but not on current performance.

I'm with you on the defending, did you see the way that Hargreaves Campbell and A.Cole watched the ball all the way to the net?

you're right I suppose, we've seen worse England performances, but the second half was awful.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:01 AM   #492
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foord
It was a surreal game to watch. Did they let that second in on purpose? Do we have a goalkeeper? I saw some short fellow wearing gloves but can't remember him doing a whole lot other than using them to pick the ball out of the net. Wonder when the real England team will step forward. Hopefully very soon. One of the few bright spots - can Gerrard be Man Of The Match when only playing 10 minutes? Getting a tad worried now.
Well, their boss is Swedish, and they like the guy. They all knew a point would see Sweden through, and had no way of knowing if Trinidad and Tobago were breathing down Sweden's necks. I guess it is possible that you might not want to eliminate your boss' favourite team, so maybe, once they were ahead...

But making Gerrard man of the match would be harsh on Joe Cole.

You have excellent and compelling reason to be worried, but don't abandon all hope. I watch these players week in, week out. They are much, much better than this.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #493
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf
Jess, you are the calming yin to my raging yang!

I was seriously annoyed yesterday, mainly because I know the way we CAN play. This team have the potential to win this tournament, but not on current performance.

I'm with you on the defending, did you see the way that Hargreaves Campbell and A.Cole watched the ball all the way to the net?

you're right I suppose, we've seen worse England performances, but the second half was awful.
It's my wife's fault. She won't watch it with me if I moan. It is frustrating to be watching a team that you know, player for player, should be as good as anyone at this tournament. It's doubly frustrating because much of the rest of the world outside of Europe only gets to see this; not Gerrard's one man virtuoso performances to lift the FA Cup and Champions League, not Carragher's inspired defending throughout a long European campaign, not Lampard and Terry conquering all for Chelsea, not Beckham being the best player for one of the world's most glamorous clubs, not Rooney playing like only he Ronaldinho and Henry can, not Ashley Cole delivering the performances that have everybody craving his signature, not Owen delivering the finishing we know he is capable of, not Crouch...oh, wait, I got carried away with myself a little there. This is the best group of players England have had in my lifetime; they are so good it might never be better. To see them play so underwhelmingly is almost heartbreaking. And I don't even have the solace of looking forward to Martin O'Neill taking charge - just more of the same...
Old 06-21-2006, 06:25 AM   #494
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
It's my wife's fault. She won't watch it with me if I moan. It is frustrating to be watching a team that you know, player for player, should be as good as anyone at this tournament. It's doubly frustrating because much of the rest of the world outside of Europe only gets to see this; not Gerrard's one man virtuoso performances to lift the FA Cup and Champions League, not Carragher's inspired defending throughout a long European campaign, not Lampard and Terry conquering all for Chelsea, not Beckham being the best player for one of the world's most glamorous clubs, not Rooney playing like only he Ronaldinho and Henry can, not Ashley Cole delivering the performances that have everybody craving his signature, not Owen delivering the finishing we know he is capable of, not Crouch...oh, wait, I got carried away with myself a little there. This is the best group of players England have had in my lifetime; they are so good it might never be better. To see them play so underwhelmingly is almost heartbreaking. And I don't even have the solace of looking forward to Martin O'Neill taking charge - just more of the same...
That's my big fear, Maclaren has a lot of say in team selection as it is, we won't see a visable difference til someone new takes over.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:54 AM   #495
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

MaClaren is going to be surely painted with the same brush as Sven. I agree with you Jess this England team has the potential to win this competition but not with Sven in charge. The guy is so negative. And leaving Dafoe and Bent at home knowing that two of his main strikers Rooney and Owen were not 100% coming into the competition is complete madness.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:55 AM   #496
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

BTW Englands defending was Madness on another scale. What in Gods name was the 10 man line when defending corners. It looked like they were waiting to board a bus.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:55 AM   #497
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
MaClaren is going to be surely painted with the same brush as Sven. I agree with you Jess this England team has the potential to win this competition but not with Sven in charge. The guy is so negative. And leaving Dafoe and Bent at home knowing that two of his main strikers Rooney and Owen were not 100% coming into the competition is complete madness.
I think Allerdyce would have done a fantastic job, he certainly had the passion for it.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:57 AM   #498
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf
I think Allerdyce would have done a fantastic job, he certainly had the passion for it.
He is also more technically aware than both Sven and Steve McClaren. Just not glamorous enough me thinks.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:03 AM   #499
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
BTW Englands defending was Madness on another scale. What in Gods name was the 10 man line when defending corners. It looked like they were waiting to board a bus.
If they play like that again, they will be boarding a bus...
Old 06-21-2006, 07:05 AM   #500
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
If they play like that again, they will be boarding a bus...
Ecuador look so sharp, They'll run rings round us.