Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #491
El Pulento
The InJustice League

So why is Human Torch black? Besides of the PC approach?.. Is this movie now back to Marvel Studios or Fox?..
El Pulento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #492
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I think the part that torques me off is that people who have probably never read a single issue of the F4 comic book are saying what an awesome choice for casting and saying that I am racist for not agreeing with them when that has nothing to do with it. I have grown up with Johnny Storm for 40 years, that is the issue. I bet if they made a Harry Potter movie where Harry was blond, built like a truck, no glasses and had a star tattoo on his butt, that these same people would be asking for someone's head on a platter for doing such a thing. Yet it's the same thing, changing the physical aspects of an established character and acting like you have not done anything.
Excellent point. If 10 years from now they were to reboot Potter with a black kid these same momo's would have a heart attack.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #493
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
I kinda wonder if the ultimate version of HT was black would people still be so angry at the casting.
Probably about as mad as people would be if the Ultimates version of Luke Cage was a white guy.

And seriously...Jamie Bell as Ben Grimm??? Jamie Bell is 5'7" and a buck forty with 10lb. dumbells in each hand. Yet another riduculous casting choice. Paul Giamatti as the Rhino, and Jamie Bell as the Thing, huh? What are the casting directors trying to prove...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #494
MrYac
Hercules

hell i'd be fine with Ultimate (or regular for that matter) Torch as a black guy, just so long as he isn't Johnny friggin Storm, same as I have 0 issues with Miles as Spidey because he's Miles and not just a black Peter Parker.

and honestly my big problem with this decision is that he seems to have been 100% the ONLY person ever considered for the roll, so it's kind of hard to throw out the good ole "well he was clearly the best actor for the job" line that always seems to get used to justify these odd casting choices
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:13 AM   #495
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
Probably about as mad as people would be if the Ultimates version of Luke Cage was a white guy.
This gets brought up occasionally and it doesn't make any sense. Why for the sake of diversity would Marvel reduce their number of ethnic characters by making any of them white?

My only guess is this controversy is an A-list character thing because Ultimate Nick Fury is black and Ultimate Colossus was gay and I don't remember people being that mad about those changes. Or were they?
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #496
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
no one on this board but I was tweeting with an artist who basically said that people who didn't agree with him were racist.
Ridiculous. In fact I may suggest that the racism is by those re envisioning the property and forcing a new, coloured version, of the character on fans for the sole purpose of making him coloured.....
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:50 AM   #497
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

"TMZ recently caught up with Jordan on his way to dinner and asked him for a reaction to the criticism. What does he think about the cynics who are upset that Johnny Storm is going to be black? Said Jordan:

“They’re still going to go see it anyway.”
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #498
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
hell i'd be fine with Ultimate (or regular for that matter) Torch as a black guy, just so long as he isn't Johnny friggin Storm, same as I have 0 issues with Miles as Spidey because he's Miles and not just a black Peter Parker.

and honestly my big problem with this decision is that he seems to have been 100% the ONLY person ever considered for the roll, so it's kind of hard to throw out the good ole "well he was clearly the best actor for the job" line that always seems to get used to justify these odd casting choices
This is what upsets me as well. From day one Trank had a hard on for this kid. He had planned this PC nonsense from the beginning. That's what pisses me off big time.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #499
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
"TMZ recently caught up with Jordan on his way to dinner and asked him for a reaction to the criticism. What does he think about the cynics who are upset that Johnny Storm is going to be black? Said Jordan:

i will not be seeing it (though to be fair I wouldn't have been seeing it anyway) but I fully can respect that statement from him
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #500
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

I will be.