Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #501
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy Black Guy View Post

I realize it seems like I do little but negatively criticize- but this one...just from a conceptual and design perspective is such a creatively unique and coherent statement with the character, that it seems to exist on a whole 'nother level to what SS usually puts out.
Bravos to whoever was on the design team for this one.

Amazing to me that people have all of a sudden started to turn on it the way they have.
-Or maybe it's just because with only a few hundred out there, most people don't actually own it?
TBH, it didn't impress me as much in hand...but it's impossible to deny when you see pics just how dynamic and interesting it is.
Certain aspects could have been done better- but as an overall statement...there's a reason this got a full page dedicated to it in Spectrum.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #502
Igo
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
Well, with all due respect In My Opinion the graveyard has been replaced with the demon skull. Apart from that, they are the same

And it would've been hard to have reached out to Dave as he passed away earlier that year
That's horrible he passed away, he's an amazing artist, wouldve loved to high-five him.

But not to beat a dead horse, Im telling you it's pure coincidence, I referenced models posing with hot-rods for the piece. So unless you're literally going to call me a liar, while questioning my ethics as an artist, you can stop having opinions on where this piece came from and accept it as is.
Igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #503
SideShowJoe
Inhumans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
That's horrible he passed away, he's an amazing artist, wouldve loved to high-five him.

But not to beat a dead horse, Im telling you it's pure coincidence, I referenced models posing with hot-rods for the piece. So unless you're literally going to call me a liar, while questioning my ethics as an artist, you can stop having opinions on where this piece came from and accept it as is.
Yeah i see what joy is talking about but your Vamp Pf legs and arms and hands are positioned little differently… Do they look similar yes? But, like you said it is coincidence as I'm sure you would give proper credit to art that its based off of when credit is due!

I will say i have this piece and it is pure sexy but i was really disappointed you guys didnt put the gold vamp print on her bikini area, i feel if you guys would of done that it would of been even more popular… But it is an exceptional design and the ex portrait sets it over the top on the sexymeter and momma likes

Sarah
SideShowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #504
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:

I accept it it is a coincidence, but that will not stop me from having an opinion.
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #505
rabid_wolf
Justice League

Quote:

Regardless of the similarities or not, I think that sculpt is one of the best female sculpts out there and one of the few female sculpts I had ordered as a result.

But the demon skull looks a little like the Danzig logo.... I kid..I Kid...
rabid_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #506
pdenham
Teen Titans

artist absorb all kinds of stimuli often unconsciously.

It's only a swipe if the artist sits there and copies it outright or refers to it during the actual process...at least IMO.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:02 AM   #507
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I realize it seems like I do little but negatively criticize- but this one...just from a conceptual and design perspective is such a creatively unique and coherent statement with the character, that it seems to exist on a whole 'nother level to what SS usually puts out.
Bravos to whoever was on the design team for this one.

Amazing to me that people have all of a sudden started to turn on it the way they have.
-Or maybe it's just because with only a few hundred out there, most people don't actually own it?
TBH, it didn't impress me as much in hand...but it's impossible to deny when you see pics just how dynamic and interesting it is.
Certain aspects could have been done better- but as an overall statement...there's a reason this got a full page dedicated to it in Spectrum.
I wouldn't say unique. seeing as it [looks to be] based on an existing illustration
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vampirella-zone-of-art-joe-jusko-72vampirellabatbrancheslg (661x1024).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	85547   Click image for larger version

Name:	1117.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	85548  
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #508
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
I wouldn't say unique. seeing as it [looks to be] based on an existing illustration
I can't tell you how many times I've seen a comic cover which looks uncannily like the same cover of a different comic. Doesn't mean anyone has copied it.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #509
pdenham
Teen Titans

sorry- was referring to the first comiquette.

Haven't seen that first illo you posted before though. Nice stance on her. It straddles a line between being naturally casual and authoritative/declarative. Also on the Gonzalez art- I like the inclination of the head. That's something I wish SS would pay more attention to. You can incline the head up or down, as long as the gaze is orientated forward (not up or down with the head). It gives the figure just a little more personality without having to alter the body attitude wholesale.

As nice as Poison Ivy turned out, had her face been tilted down just a few more degrees, with her eyes looking up (so the gaze would be straight ahead), it would have increased the sexy allure they were going for exponentially.

My personal philosophical belief is- statues at this scale are like watching stage performers from the middle to back rows. Unlike movie actors, whose faces and bodies are blown up stories high and who can thus get away with subtlety of expression- stage actors have to be broad and dramatic in their movements to convey attitude across great distance. Like animation, these things need to be pushed more for dramatic effect...if a dramatic effect is what's being implied. To often these poses are being pulled back to an 'in-between' when they should be more of an exaggerated 'key frame'.
[/soapbox]
Old 07-19-2014, 01:03 AM   #510
StatueBandit
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpluse2 View Post
Has there been any leaks that there will me a new Magneto PF. Or your just hoping.
Rumor has it that Mags or Juggernaut will be the next X-MEN Villain to get the PF treatment.
StatueBandit is offline   Reply With Quote