Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-03-2019, 04:33 AM   #501
frenchyoutoo
Nightwing

Ummm!! Great photoshop!

Good call on the colour scheme. Now its getting SSC to listen and add a couple colours and not act like its gonna cost us an extra $300 for them to slap on a Maquette label for the change!!!! Cough *magneto*

Freakin hopeless man!!

SSC just listen please... then you wonder why collectors favour the custom world.. oooh my bad i mean fanart.. ooops!!

Lets be real, the game has changed. SS is now the gateway to the custom world, seriously. Collectors start here then they go off on the FB groups and find some serious quality and competition. (yeh thats right, Daniel Bel, heard of him?)

Oh an throw in a ponytail portrait dammit! Far out! "Its so obvious" *MJ* !! Its right there! Missed opportunity.

frenchyoutoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:54 AM   #502
Peedi
The Secret Six

Overall this looks great!

But what’s up with the fire scarf and hot hands?

Jean’s energy, whether plain Jean, Phoenix or Dark Phoenix, is almost always pink in the original comics, sometimes pink and yellow for Phoenix. 90s Jean in her Jim Lee outfit was retconned to be a separate character from Phoenix so Jean wouldn’t have had fire or any Phoenix powers anyway. I would’ve preferred the fire hands use pink energy like the base and an optional “energy construct” as Emma puts it instead of the fire scarf.

Energy hand looking very Psylocke-like right here.

Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 AM   #503
Graven
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchyoutoo View Post
Ummm!! Great photoshop!

Good call on the colour scheme. Now its getting SSC to listen and add a couple colours and not act like its gonna cost us an extra $300 for them to slap on a Maquette label for the change!!!! Cough *magneto*

Freakin hopeless man!!

SSC just listen please... then you wonder why collectors favour the custom world.. oooh my bad i mean fanart.. ooops!!

Lets be real, the game has changed. SS is now the gateway to the custom world, seriously. Collectors start here then they go off on the FB groups and find some serious quality and competition. (yeh thats right, Daniel Bel, heard of him?)

Oh an throw in a ponytail portrait dammit! Far out! "Its so obvious" *MJ* !! Its right there! Missed opportunity.

That colors would have worked way better... i would have buyed the photoshoped version, but so its an easy pass. The SS paint on it looks so cheap, plane and without shading... must be more effordable to produce with that colors and make her look like a plastic figure with sailormoon pose.
Graven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #504
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

hmmm, she looks a bit boring to me.
Chris
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #505
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayhor View Post
To begin with, as my post is really very negative about my thought on this reveal, I 'd like to remember to everyone who will read it, that it is solely MY opinion and you don't have to share it... to each their own.

Soooo..... After the already unfamous COHair, here comes the COface with the same hair, the lazyness of Sideshow for a nearly $600 statue is really depressing , and don't make me talk about the super low level of details about the paint scheme, plain colors, no use of more expensive paint like metallic ones (as Bowen and even Sideshow used for their past Jim Lee Jean statue/PF), the lazyness again of not taking the time to paint differently all the squares and rectangles on her costume and her face mask.

This piece is just a dull statue with 2 plain major color : yellow and blue without any shading or various type of paint, it’s like an anti-Soulfire Grace PF (sculpted by Newman too by the way). And let's not forget : this is the PROTOTYPE !!!

And as it wasn't bad enough IMHO, the Bowen one had a much better pose, more dynamic and natural, her pink power was way better sculpted, and the paint used was diversified and stunning. As it was Mark Newman who sculpted the beautiful Bowen Design one, back in the day, I entirely blame the artistic direction on this one, Mark Newman having not lost his talent over the years.

Oh and for the exclusive, I'll be quick, the flames look weird placed and cheap. And I don’t like her face without pupils.

I will finish on a positive statement, the hair is magnificent, you can particularly notice it from her back, typically Newman's style of stunning floating hair like his Scarlet Witch PF for example.

And to show you why I'm so disappointed and mad, here is a photoshoped picture of what this PF would have looked like if Sideshow had done the job seriously and more in connection with its requested price tag. It's such a shame to waste such a beautiful potential with a poor choice of paint colors.
I completely agree with you and Mr Photoshop, chère compatriote.

For me:
pros: a very nice sculpt and reg portrait
a brilliant, amazing, mind-boggling, cosmic, solar, stellar price.

cons: an uninspired and so predictable base
a generic pose
I don't know what to think about the EX.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #506
Frayhor
Sinister Six

Thanks to all the people that complimented my husband"s work on the photoshoped pic, he's happy you like his job about the change of colors on Jean

And for those which said "I would have bought this", I'm in the same boat, but clearly seeing what Sideshow could have done with her on this picture and the sad reality of the paint and the price asked for it, regretfully it will be a big pass for me, and I'm so sorry about that because I really like the sculpt

But hey ! Night has passed and I watched again Domino pictures and now I feel way better ! Thank god it was not a reverse situation, because as clearly as we will see more Jean in the future, it will be the first and last Domino piece for sure, so thank you Sideshow for not screwing up with Domino !
However for those who have no Jean in their collection and love the character, I feel so sorry for you guys, specially if you share my opinion on this new PF. But keep in mind, there will definitely be another one in a few years, so patience is your best weapon ! (and also your wallet, because that will hurt for sure )
Frayhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #507
JackFrost
Fantastic Four

I am a huge Jean grey / Phoenix fan...love the work of Mark Newman ( i have all the bowens he did)..This is an awesome statue of jean grey and most likely i will get it...minus the base ...no flames working for 90s Jean..no phoenix force in her at that time..should be more like telekinetik energy..pink by the way...the ex head is awesome but the flames not so...if they were similar to the base maybe...i did a photoshoped photo of what i feel like when i see the statue...a missed opportunity..or a rejected idea...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phoenix.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	122474  
JackFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #508
Frayhor
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
I completely agree with you and Mr Photoshop, chère compatriote.

For me:
pros: a very nice sculpt and reg portrait
a brilliant, amazing, mind-boggling, cosmic, solar, stellar price.

cons: an uninspired and so predictable base
a generic pose
I don't know what to think about the EX.
Merci, we both appreciate your endorsement !

But if I may, you forgot the flat paint in your cons list.

And did I understand correctly that you actually like the price of this piece ? So for you, it's not overpriced at all ??
Frayhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #509
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayhor View Post

And did I understand correctly that you actually like the price of this piece ? So for you, it's not overpriced at all ??
Rhoooo, Frayhor, french humor!
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #510
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Can Newman confirm if those flames are removable around her neck? It looks like the hands are.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote