Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #511
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Personally, I honestly don't understand how people can spend $1000+ on XM pieces and then suddenly balk at the idea Sideshow pieces for half the price. My buddy is a big XM collector and the one thing that comes to mind when I look at most of his XM pieces is that I never would have paid $1000+ for those statues. I will admit that XM has had a couple pieces that were absolutely stellar and absolutely worth the $1000 price tag, like Magneto, but I find the line as a whole very underwhelming considering its average price point. And over the last 12 or so months, I think Sideshow has been much stronger than XM on the design side.
Yes, XM pieces are higher in quality, have better paint apps, and have more options/switch out parts, but at least in my book, those do not justify the extra $500+ your going to spend over a Sideshow piece. I look at XM prices and then look at Sideshow's recent releases like Captain Marvel, Dark Phoenix, Red Sonja, Gamora, Cleopsis, Skeletor, Lady Death, Green Goblin, Spider-Man, etc and...well, it just makes Sideshow's prices so much easier to stomach.

A good comparison is Sideshow's Captain Marvel and XM's Ms. Marvel. In my opinion, Captain Marvel's design blows Ms Marvel's design out of the water. I still like XM's Ms Marvel, but IMO Captain Marvel is just FAR more exciting design wise.

Again, I just don't have a problem with Sideshow's current pricing level, exclucing thier prints. And again, at least for US buyers, Kylo is not $570. If your going to compare the price of Kylo to other Sidehow releases/prices than you either have to subtract $35-$45 from Kylo's price or you have to add $35-$45 to Sideshow's other statues. A $500 statue that doesnt have free shipping is basically identical to a $540 statue that does have free shipping. The people that are comparing this price to other Sideshow prices, without factoring in that free shipping....well, those comparisions are HIGHLY flawed.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #512
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I'd argue you're logic is flawed as well. This is a $570 statue that's offering an extra $14.25 in Reward Points and free shipping which would be approx. a $25 savings for me based on how much my Boba Fett PF cost to ship. That's still a $545 statue by my math. Even if you add the extra points as cash, which they're not, it's still about $531 total. If that's worth it to you then great but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people see a statue that should at max be in the $450 range before shipping based on the last 3 SW PFs released. It's a significant jump in price any way you cut it, Sideshow knows it and that's why they've disguised it with the double points/free shipping incentive.

Last edited by Hellboy; 05-07-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #513
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Well xm shipping is very expensive don't forget that's part of the expense many times at 300.00 plus.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #514
actionjackson83
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Personally, I honestly don't understand how people can spend $1000+ on XM pieces and then suddenly balk at the idea Sideshow pieces for half the price. My buddy is a big XM collector and the one thing that comes to mind when I look at most of his XM pieces is that I never would have paid $1000+ for those statues. I will admit that XM has had a couple pieces that were absolutely stellar and absolutely worth the $1000 price tag, like Magneto, but I find the line as a whole very underwhelming considering its average price point. And over the last 12 or so months, I think Sideshow has been much stronger than XM on the design side.
Yes, XM pieces are higher in quality, have better paint apps, and have more options/switch out parts, but at least in my book, those do not justify the extra $500+ your going to spend over a Sideshow piece. I look at XM prices and then look at Sideshow's recent releases like Captain Marvel, Dark Phoenix, Red Sonja, Gamora, Cleopsis, Skeletor, Lady Death, Green Goblin, Spider-Man, etc and...well, it just makes Sideshow's prices so much easier to stomach.

A good comparison is Sideshow's Captain Marvel and XM's Ms. Marvel. In my opinion, Captain Marvel's design blows Ms Marvel's design out of the water. I still like XM's Ms Marvel, but IMO Captain Marvel is just FAR more exciting design wise.

Again, I just don't have a problem with Sideshow's current pricing level, exclucing thier prints. And again, at least for US buyers, Kylo is not $570. If your going to compare the price of Kylo to other Sidehow releases/prices than you either have to subtract $35-$45 from Kylo's price or you have to add $35-$45 to Sideshow's other statues. A $500 statue that doesnt have free shipping is basically identical to a $540 statue that does have free shipping. The people that are comparing this price to other Sideshow prices, without factoring in that free shipping....well, those comparisions are HIGHLY flawed.
*PSSST* I spent $700 shipped for XM Magneto and $580 for XM wolverine but don't tell anyone... so no they are not $1000. It's a myth.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #515
Python
Omega Red

Quote:

Why are we still talking about XM? People get on their high horse about XM being mentioned in this section usually when it's going against the argument. I don't personally care about XM yet as they haven't made anything I want.. Plus they're really expensive! Also, you're being somewhat misleading. You can't include shipping prices when using XM pieces as examples and then tell others not to include shipping or even the equivalent that the reward points remove from this when complaining about the price (This is XM prices for some including shipping and duty) Also, shipping has doubled for everybody else, bad timing for that, it is $90 and taxed to boot.. You're happy, that's perfectly fine. But have you ever seen such a reaction to pricing before that nobody even bothers to post pictures of the item in question? Even one as nice as this? Pricing is always a touchy subject with the constant rises, we're used to that but this is something else and you are clearly in the minority with this one. And missing the point somewhat, It isn't that it's $570 that's the issue at all, the 1/4 P2 was $1200 if we're comparing any old 1/4 statue as we weirdly seem to be. It is just that THIS particular statue with it's simple design and base, with few features just doesn't seem to justify that price tag. It's making people scratch their heads anyway. It just so happens he's one of the more popular characters from this movie, harder to simply walk away from.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #516
actionjackson83
Midnighter

Kylo Ren is not worth $600 after taxes to me, the end. He is not as big as Lobo, or the new Hulk PF. He definitely doesn't look as complicated to make as Darth Vader PF which also includes light up functions and more sculpted parts and that statue is $499 and even Vader I don't feel was worth $499 when he came out. So how is it that his price is justified again?

Yeah it's true other statues from other companies cost more, but they at least appear to offer more value (more switch out parts, better packaging, printed color instructions on how to rebox your items, and assemble them, and more heft to their statues in polystone weight). And here you are with your skinny ass 90% cloth statue with a lame ass EX for a money grab, and no light up feature despite every single SW lightsaber wielding character having one up to this point.

Tell me why should I even bother continuing supporting your company again when you are not stepping up your game and actually trying to compete with your competition? Everyone in here wants your company to do well and succeed, but if you think that just because you hold an exclusive license in NA you can ass rape your customers and take advantage of a pricing advantage and not bother giving us more value then you have already made your grave and you have lost a loyal customer for the last 15 years.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #517
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Preach!
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #518
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:

I agree about XM. Thanos and Mags were amazing but aside from that I don't see anything else that spectacular to warrant the price tag. Especially for US collectors.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #519
COI

I regret bring up other companies.

Value is subjective, period. Lots if people don't see $550 in this piece, lots of people don't see $1000 in XM's pieces, and the reverse of both of those things is also true. Heck, I don't understand the secondary market at all. I've had the She-Hulk and Ms Marvel PFs and I can't fathom why people pay $1000+ for either; I currently have the Spidey comiquette and love it, but I wouldn't pay the $1500-ish it goes for.

So ultimately this discussion, interesting as it is, is just a dead-end. If you're hesitating even slightly at these prices, walk away and feel good about it. Similarly, if you didn't hesitate to hit that order button, buy the piece and feel good about it.

Group hug.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #520
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote