Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #521
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
people confuse practices they might personally not like as a consumer with unethical practices as if they are one and the same. It's happening in this thread right now, with people conflating savvy business with unethical business practices.

I would invite those of you who equate everything Sideshow does with either a lack of ethics, or a cold, uncaring interest in profits, to try to take a more balanced, nuanced perspective. It's possible to care about the customer base, and also care about profits. This will create dilemmas, and they will never be perfect in how they address those dilemmas, but it's not a zero-sum game.
It's the nature of the business Sideshow is in. For the most part, these are emotional purchases bound to get emotional reactions.

Increasing prices, increasing edition sizes and QC that could at any point be sub-par add to the anxiety and fire. Other quality choices in what many consider the ideal scale (1/4) are limited (importing XM, settling for New52 P1, etc.). All in all it's easy to label Sideshow as evil/unethical but they are a company like any other and things are rarely simple in business. There are better ways to do certain things but it's hard to argue with success in dollars and cents.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #522
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

All we can take from this whole debate is that forps is a maniac.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #523
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

That's a conclusion not just for all debates, but in life.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #524
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
It's good for us collectors, as it gave sideshow its run for the money on coming up with better statues and QC, especially now days when XM statues can be purchased in US easily.
Except for the good chunk of old school collectors who are now priced out of the hobby.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #525
newe82
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
@forps there aren't any if at all prime 1 pieces that are worth more than retail. Maybe the 1/3 miller bats but they're making more with the dk3 line. Also since they have some licenses through sideshow couldn't sideshow just crush them by not letting them make statues anymore?
At this point I think the potential of Prime 1 outweighs what they have already released. The quality and art direction on the Arkham lines have been great, but the masses are not typically going to spend $1k on pieces based on games. My perception of Prime 1 completely changed with the release of Frank Miller Batman. That piece looks like it just stepped out of the comic. Swamp Thing, Doomsday, and the announcement of Hush, New 52 batman, etc the future is very bright indeed for Prime 1. I am not ordering anything (except maybe their Swamp Thing) before they show the 1/3 Superman. If that meets expectations then they have my money for doomsday as well.

All of these statues are maxed and leave no profit for the aftermarket, but I see SS pieces going down in value much more than the elite Prime 1 pieces. I am not saying I won't by SS anymore, because they still have the Gore Group. I pretty much order his stuff site unseen.
newe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #526
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

That P1 Superman/Doomsday combo will be epic. Everyone that's waiting for a massive sculpt from Sideshow like a Juggernaut PF or a powerful standing up straight, strong and tall Hulk PF should check out Doomsday.

Sideshow has the ability to do that in 1/4 scale but they won't.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #527
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Guys, Sideshow STILL has the upper hand being the wholesaler and simply allowing Prime1 to do stuff. BUT, have you seen the remarks regarding Swamp Thing 1/3 from Prime1 insiders TODAY?....Prime1 is a bit "afraid" of Sideshow, they dont want to lose Sideshow cause Prime1 doesnt have the needed "knowledge" regarding worldwide sales, distribution etc. Prime1 is slowly BUILDING her own empire. Slowly.....They are "weak" to go full out on Sideshow, Sideshow has their ..... for the moment....

But Sideshow finally got it. Prime1 has a strategy similar to Mao Zedong. First take the easy targets (villages eg 1/3 and 1/3 scale) so as your enemy wont get upset and then when you are STRONG ENOUGH, declare the war against the cities (1/4 scale, Sideshow's expertise). They now cooperate, but as soon as other competitors are fully out and Sideshow + Prime1 are the sole dominators of the market, then the REAL battle begins.

So Sideshow should down-scale (produce some 1/6 statues) but she should also up-scale. 1/3 is waiting for Sideshow. Go for it, Sideshow. Prepare yourself for the upcoming battle.

On a side note, WHERE is the PO for Batman XE suit 1/3 scale? 5-6 days have passed.....Hmmm, maybe Sideshow got pissed off from Prime1's Swamp Thing 1/3 and they delayed the PO for Batman 1/3 XE suit....Today's "apology" from Prime1 on social media makes me wonder if......Ok, Sideshow will eventually put Batman XE suit 1/3 up for PO, but she showed Prime1 who is still the boss....
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #528
Legion564
Mephisto

Wow forps really is crazy.
Legion564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #529
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by forps View Post
Guys, Sideshow STILL has the upper hand being the wholesaler and simply allowing Prime1 to do stuff. BUT, have you seen the remarks regarding Swamp Thing 1/3 from Prime1 insiders TODAY?....Prime1 is a bit "afraid" of Sideshow, they dont want to lose Sideshow cause Prime1 doesnt have the needed "knowledge" regarding worldwide sales, distribution etc. Prime1 is slowly BUILDING her own empire. Slowly.....They are "weak" to go full out on Sideshow, Sideshow has their ..... for the moment....

If they were afraid of damaging relations, they would have canned (or delayed) the project, it wouldn't have been a huge issue considering the amount of product they make. I took their comments be to rather mature, and genuinely sincere. And presumably Sideshow took a similar view as they probably could have made it a bigger issue internally if they felt differently. Assuming Sideshow do actually distribute the P1 version..
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #530
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Sideshow is the North American distributor so they should