Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-20-2017, 03:05 AM   #531
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Drop the insults Tbolt!

He’s not expending anymore energy defending the movie than you are slamming it. If you can’t handle someone else pointing out that your Kamikaze reference isn’t really applicable here without insulting them than I suggest posting your thoughts and moving on. This is a discussion board after all.

As for the stereotypes you referenced, I didn’t see any of the scenes you mentioned as being like that. Not saying they weren’t intended to be, I have no idea. I just didn’t and wouldn’t have viewed them in that light had you not mentioned it.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:09 AM   #532
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
You are putting an awful lot of energy into defending this movie. You feel personally attacked if someone disagrees with your love of said movie, and doesn’t explain themselves to your satisfaction.

Frankly, it’s comical.

I had no ulterior motive for stating the scene was as reminiscent of a kamikaze maneuver (to me, watching it today, snowy) especially given their handling of Asian Ninja character in the superior Rogue One, a movie I didn’t bother with until it hit Netflix, and probably the only reason I went to the theater for this one.

Disney got my $10. What more do you want from me. My patronage and the thousands like me will ensure you get more movies like this one, of which you are so fond.

Again, simply noted I was aware of the SJW criticism and thought that the elements that was derived from were fairly OBVIOUS, and not subtle at all. How is that political?

Touchy, touchy, touchy.

It’s ok if other people think your child (Star Wars movie) is ugly. It doesn’t make YOU love them any less.
This is always the way it goes. I point out the flawed logic in someone's argument, and rather than getting a response that directly addresses said criticism I get deflection. "Oh, you're so defensive." "Oh look, another *insert insulting adjective*." "It's so funny that you *insert belittling statement*".

I didn't go into the specifics of your SJW claims until you decided to hash it out with me for disagreeing with you. If anyone is demonstrating sensitivity about being critiqued it's you. What, you think you're actually disguising the fact you're angry someone had the gall to say they disagreed with you by throwing insults? Do you think attempting to seem more macho is actually helping? If anything it it's doing the opposite. Go ahead. Keep puffing your chest. It's doing wonders.

I don't care that people don't like a film I like. I don't make critiques of certain statements because I am trying to defend something as subjective and trivial as a movie. I just tend to have an allergic reaction to stupid, ill informed, objectively asinine statements. And the only remedy for me is to point it out to the people who spew such garbage. I do that for my own sanity and in the hopes that said stupidity doesn't spread. That said, if you'll bother to go back and read my first post towards you, you'll notice the only thing I did was said I disagreed and then pointed out your incorrect comment about kamikazes. It wasn't until you referred to me as a "snowflake" that this dumb argument started.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:22 AM   #533
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

You have been pointing it out for the last 20 pages anytime anyone had a criticism of the movie.

How is your last post not an attack? Nobody can express an opinion that you disagree with. Again, your touchiness is reminiscent of, nope, not going there.

You shout louder and post more, that’s how you win the internet! Reverse the argument, search your feelings, you know it to be true!

I didn’t like the movie, wanted it to end, contemplated leaving
Early. Thought it tedious, the wrong tone, and wrongly portrayed the main characters.

Not much else to say. I’ll step aside so you can take on the next challenger.

Frankly, didn’t know this section even existed until today.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:30 AM   #534
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
You have been pointing it out for the last 20 pages anytime anyone had a criticism of the movie.

How is your last post not an attack? Nobody can express an opinion that you disagree with. Again, your touchiness is reminiscent of, nope, not going there.

You shout louder and post more, that’s how you win the internet! Reverse the argument, search your feelings, you know it to be true!

I didn’t like the movie, wanted it to end, contemplated leaving
Early. Thought it tedious, the wrong tone, and wrongly portrayed the main characters.

Not much else to say. I’ll step aside so you can take on the next challenger.

Frankly, didn’t know this section even existed until today.
Cool exaggeration. Please tell me, who else have I been in a debate with regarding this film other than candyrocket786 and nbr3bagshotrow? Or are you going to now suggest those two and yourself are the only people on this board to have voiced negative criticism about the film?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:08 AM   #535
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
It's been a while since I read Revenge of the Sith in book form or saw the movie, but I clearly remember that the book gave a lot more detail about Anakin's turn to the Dark Side when he cut Windu's hand off and helped Palpatine kill him, and this after just preaching to Windu that he couldn't kill Palpatine because it was wrong.

I don't remember if Anakin checked the Jedi archives for the Plagius raising the dead legend, but the part that really turned it all for me was in the book, where Anakin killed Padme, and admitted to himself that all his talk of wanting to save Padme hadn't been true. His true motivation for turning to the dark side was that he wanted to be the biggest, baddest and bestest. His turn to the dark side had never been about Padme at all. He then goes to the temple and kills all of those children. It's pretty hard to put lip stick on that pig after that. And, to think that all he needed to do to wipe the slate clean was to toss Palpatine down a huge ventilation shaft, or whatever that thing was he threw him down.

Sorry for the rant.
You’re not ranting, dude, that was all good stuff!
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #536
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I don't know, they lost me when they killed Luke... First Han and now Luke... :/ And i don't feel the new kids. They don't mean anything to me except Emo Ren. I don't like Emo Ren... He's so whiny so the new films really lack at the villains departmant. Snoke died like a punk... lol Luke's state of mind was so bad... He quit being Jedi and everything was dissapointing, but if they didn't kill him and he had a big part in Episode IX as the jedi master, i would be happy even if all the flaws... But they had to show him in such a terrible state of mind and then kill him... :/ They totally lost me.

Eveything was good at the end of episode 6. Palpatine and Vader were no more. It was the end of the Sith, the prophesy fullfiled... It was the end of The Empire... The happy end. How did it all go so wrong in the form of The First Order from there and turned in to this ? Did i miss something ?
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #537
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I don't know, they lost me when they killed Luke... First Han and now Luke... :/ And i don't feel the new kids. They don't mean anything to me except Emo Ren. I don't like Emo Ren... He's so whiny so the new films really lack at the villains departmant. Snoke died like a punk... lol Luke's state of mind was so bad... He quit being Jedi and everything was dissapointing, but if they didn't kill him and he had a big part in Episode IX as the jedi master, i would be happy even if all the flaws... But they had to show him in such a terrible state of mind and then kill him... :/ They totally lost me.

Eveything was good at the end of episode 6. Palpatine and Vader were no more. It was the end of the Sith, the prophesy fullfiled... It was the end of The Empire... The happy end. How did it all go so wrong in the form of The First Order from there and turned in to this ? Did i miss something ?
Luke gave himself for the resistance, this isn't Luke's story. He already had his journey. As did Han and Leia. I think the misconception is that these movies were going to be about Luke and the Rebels again, and it isn't. Just because The Emperor and Vader are dead that doesn't mean the Empire died completely. I took the First Order as a rising of a faction of the Empire that was not eradicated, maybe one even more radical than the Empire.

Luke obviously tried to restart the Jedi order, but as he said, in his own vanity being a "Legend" did not see what was happening under his nose. In a fleeting moment he thought about killing his own nephew. Something he even says he was remorseful for the second he thought it, and the fact that he lost Ben was such a powerful thing that he closed himself off, thinking himself as unworthy.

I think people aren't giving this film a chance, they just aren't getting what they thought or what they wanted and dismissing it. Nothing I've seen goes against character for any of them, even Luke succumbing to a momentary lapse in judgement he's immediately remorseful about isn't out of character, as a matter of fact if you look at his reckless mistakes in Empire and A New Hope it's something he's struggled with.

Now if Luke had actually tried to kill Ben, different story and I'd get all the anger. But he didn't.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #538
Mister H
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Luke gave himself for the resistance, this isn't Luke's story. He already had his journey. As did Han and Leia. I think the misconception is that these movies were going to be about Luke and the Rebels again, and it isn't. Just because The Emperor and Vader are dead that doesn't mean the Empire died completely. I took the First Order as a rising of a faction of the Empire that was not eradicated, maybe one even more radical than the Empire.

Luke obviously tried to restart the Jedi order, but as he said, in his own vanity being a "Legend" did not see what was happening under his nose. In a fleeting moment he thought about killing his own nephew. Something he even says he was remorseful for the second he thought it, and the fact that he lost Ben was such a powerful thing that he closed himself off, thinking himself as unworthy.

I think people aren't giving this film a chance, they just aren't getting what they thought or what they wanted and dismissing it. Nothing I've seen goes against character for any of them, even Luke succumbing to a momentary lapse in judgement he's immediately remorseful about isn't out of character, as a matter of fact if you look at his reckless mistakes in Empire and A New Hope it's something he's struggled with.

Now if Luke had actually tried to kill Ben, different story and I'd get all the anger. But he didn't.
I get that this is not a story focused on Luke or the rest of the original characters, I just don't really care about any of the new characters. Rey, maybe a little, and I don't despise Ren like I did in the second half of TFA. Phasma would be pretty fantastic, but she has had a few scant minutes of screen time in two movies. I don't think she's dead btw. I want to like these guys, don't get me wrong, maybe in the final episode they will win me over. (not that they need to)
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #539
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I try to think of the positives with this one. Usually there are tons of memorable moments with SW flicks.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #540
SONICobra
Batman

7.5/10 for me

enjoyable but had a couple issues
- too much humor
- i didnt see luke, i saw mark hamill
- i think R1 was a better example of a "star wars movie" even TFA, for whatever reason. i just didnt get the same vibe i do when watching the OT or even the prequels, it felt almost synthetic if that makes any sense
- phasma continues to be a complete waste

not a bad movie, just not what i was hoping for - maybe ill like it a little more the second time
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote