Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #541
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I think the runaway success that was the Avengers is going to assist most superhero movies, regardless of being from Marvel or DC, that come out from now on, at least, until a major flop ruins the momentum.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #542
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
I think everyone needs to toss out their preconceptions about MoS. there's enough hints in the trailers that this Superman will not be the one we know and love. That his backstory will be different. This might be IM3 Mandarin level sacrilege for fanboys or a brilliant move. We'll find out soon enough.
If you watched that video with the Director and Producers they have stated that this will not be based on comics books, that their goal like Nolan's with Batman Begins was to make this movie more realistic, dark and modern.

I think for this very reason it will be a huge success...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #543
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Regardless, it is still yet another reboot of a story we already know. This is what annoys me about the remakes of the last several years. They constantly treat these characters like this is the first time anyone is seeing them and that we have forgotten the seven movies that came before and all the information contained within. This one looks even more lazy as they have fallen back on the Zod storyline, essentially making it a total retelling/ripoff of Donner's first two movies. I mean, really, is a Superman origin story really necessary? People living in the deepest depths of the Amazon rainforest who have never even seen a television before know who Superman is. Enough with the longwinded origin stories. Tell us a new one.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #544
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

You can't assume everyone know Superman's origin. You have to understand that the target audience is the general public who are not comic book fans. And most of the younger folks were not even born during the Chris Reeve series or were little kids during the last one.

Every time i talk movies with the young folks at work (in their mid twenties) a lot of them have never bothered to see 70's and 80's and sometimes 90's "classics"

But all signs point to major changes to Supes origin.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #545
jedi_don

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
If you watched that video with the Director and Producers they have stated that this will not be based on comics books, that their goal like Nolan's with Batman Begins was to make this movie more realistic, dark and modern.

I think for this very reason it will be a huge success...
I'm ok with that, but there are some elements of character they shouldn't. What if Nolan didn't kill off Bruce's parents and they were only shot? Batman fans would have would have been pissed.

If they deviate significantly from Superman's origin, i hope they can pull it off. But we all know that there will aleays be some fans who will be displeased.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #546
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKni9hT View Post
Regardless, it is still yet another reboot of a story we already know. This is what annoys me about the remakes of the last several years. They constantly treat these characters like this is the first time anyone is seeing them and that we have forgotten the seven movies that came before and all the information contained within. This one looks even more lazy as they have fallen back on the Zod storyline, essentially making it a total retelling/ripoff of Donner's first two movies. I mean, really, is a Superman origin story really necessary? People living in the deepest depths of the Amazon rainforest who have never even seen a television before know who Superman is. Enough with the longwinded origin stories. Tell us a new one.
Normally I'd agree with you in regards to origin stories, but not in the case of Superman. The last time we saw his origin on screen in a live action feature was 35 years ago. Man of Steel is a complete reboot/retelling so they need to start from square one. I'm sure it will prove interesting and fresh as opposed to a simple retread of whats come before it. Doing this will give a whole new generation of viewers a great starting point.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #547
jedi_don

The Amazing Spider-man was really questionable if they needed to waste time with an origin rehash. Listening to Sheen's Uncle Ben say "with great power comes great responsibility" but not using those words was hilarious.

I think audiences would have been more forgiving, knowing that TAS was a reboot to forgo a straight up origin retell. They could have been more clever and slowly revealed the new origin throughout the story.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #548
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Agreed on ASM. That was one origin story I really didn't need to see again so soon. Decent film however and probably my favorite of the 4 Spider-Man films.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #549
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Disaster...just realised I cannot see MoS on opening weekend as the girlfriend's parents are staying in London that weekend.

Plus side I do get to go to see Springsteen at Wembley stadium, down side no Superman until the weekend after...
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #550
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Disaster...just realised I cannot see MoS on opening weekend as the girlfriend's parents are staying in London that weekend.

Plus side I do get to go to see Springsteen at Wembley stadium, down side no Superman until the weekend after...
I almost felt sorry for you until I got to the Springsteen bit....