Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #5581
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarron View Post
Yep i saw the post.

Just gotta try and hold out for it rather than buy it dvd now
It's actually up for order already and is being released on 12/04/12

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #5582
Spideristic
Kingpin

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection - YouTube

Amazon.com: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection [Blu-ray]
US Blu-ray set.

Universal Classic Monsters Collection: Limited Edition Coffin
Limited Edition Coffin UK set.

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection Blu-ray 1931 Region Free
The regular UK set is also available at a lesser price.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #5583
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Just an FYI to anyone who ordered NOTLD from Twilight Time.

Apparently there is a big brouhaha over at Bluray.com Forums about the transfer on this, it seems to be very dark compared to what's come before on home video. Twilight Time is checking with Sony to see if this is what was signed off, and if so then that's that. You can send your copy back for a full refund if you're not happy, but everyone is assuming a recall won't happen due to the fact that TT is a very small operation. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, I received my copy yesterday but haven't checked it out yet.
Yeah I've been trying to keep up with the developments on this for the past couple days. Should hear back from Sony some time this week on what will happen. Looking at the screen captures its pretty drastic. There is a blue hue to most of the film and it's incredibly dark. Hard to tell if its a problem with the color timing or intentional tinkering by Sony. I think we'll see this repressed and replacement discs offered when all is said and done. I'm going to wait to open my copy until this is sorted.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #5584
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Yeah I've been trying to keep up with the developments on this for the past couple days. Should hear back from Sony some time this week on what will happen. Looking at the screen captures its pretty drastic. There is a blue hue to most of the film and it's incredibly dark. Hard to tell if its a problem with the color timing or intentional tinkering by Sony. I think we'll see this repressed and replacement discs offered when all is said and done. I'm going to wait to open my copy until this is sorted.
I've been casually keeping an eye on it as well. Yesterday people were making comments that made it seem doubtful there would be a reissue. I think it really depends on who is to blame for this, and even then Sony can just turn around and say "that's how we wanted it to look". Guess we'll have to wait and see, although it really shouldn't take this long for someone to take a look at it and say "yep, that's right" or "nope, that's wrong". And given the size of the release and the fact that it's not Sony releasing it directly, I've got a bad feeling about this. Oops, wrong movie.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #5585
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Yeah we could be screwed. Which would suck considering this film can't be re-released for 3 years. Couple that with the fact that Sony didn't believe in the title in the first place (hence TT getting it) we'll probably never see another Blu-ray release.

On the plus side these are already selling for double retail on the secondary market so worst case scenario you can flip it to recoup costs and even make a few bucks to put towards something else should you choose.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #5586
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Yeah we could be screwed. Which would suck considering this film can't be re-released for 3 years. Couple that with the fact that Sony didn't believe in the title in the first place (hence TT getting it) we'll probably never see another Blu-ray release.

On the plus side these are already selling for double retail on the secondary market so worst case scenario you can flip it to recoup costs and even make a few bucks to put towards something else should you choose.
Well, if they don't re-issue it I have a feeling Sony will re-master and do an actual release once the 3 years are up. They've already proven they can move 3,000 units, and when you add to that the fact that it was a lousy transfer originally, I think all they would need to do is throw one or two "special" features on it and there's your mainstream re-release. People who bought this one and weren't happy will re-buy, while the ones who don't want to pay through the nose on ebay will have their chance as well.

But the fact that we can flip these regardless is a nice option to have.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #5587
Marvelito

Looks like it is what it is according to TT:

UPDATE: As promised, we have discussed NOTLD at the studio and are able to verify via SPE's Mastering Department, that our Blu-ray is indeed the approved transfer from 2010, generated for the film's 20th anniversary, and done in consultation with the film's director of photography. As you will have also seen on this page and elsewhere on the internet, director Tom Savini has now had a chance to view the end product and declared it "fantastic."

As we are aware that some fans of the film will remain disappointed, our offer of a full refund still stands if you wish to return your copy. However, we would caution you with this thought: this is a limited edition run of 3,000 copies, and the title is sold out. Right or wrong, it is a collector's item, and there are no guarantees this title will ever be repressed. Going forward, if TT encounters another situation where the new transfer differs greatly from the old, we will bring that to collectors' attention prior to the disc being offered so that you may know of the changes beforehand. Thanks for all your support.

Best,

Nick Redman and Brian Jamieson.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #5588
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Well I guess there you go then.

I'll probably be viewing my copy in the next week or so as part of my Halloween movie marathon and will reserve personal judgment on the PQ until afterwards. I'm hoping it looks good enough to keep.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #5589
Marvelito

It seems like opinions vary on the PQ. Some are reporting it's different, but not bad, while others don't want to accept the changes made. I'm not a die hard fan of the film so I'm willing to give it a shot. I'll watch it, and make up my own mind after I've seen it.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #5590
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

I kid, I kid.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote