Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 11-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #551
Darkhumor
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Are you guys going to do anything more than starwars? Anything horror? 1:6 scale statues? Less busts. I would have been all over that Walking Dead Rick Grimes but it was a bust. So disappointing.
Darkhumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #552
Movieman
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhumor View Post
Are you guys going to do anything more than starwars? Anything horror? 1:6 scale statues? Less busts. I would have been all over that Walking Dead Rick Grimes but it was a bust. So disappointing.
I disagree. The busts that Gentle Giant put out are not only exceptionally well done, not to mention awesome, but they also allow a collector to have more characters displayed in a smaller space. Keep up the good work with the mini busts and please hurry up with that Avengers Hulk movie bust.
Movieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #553
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
I disagree. The busts that Gentle Giant put out are not only exceptionally well done, not to mention awesome, but they also allow a collector to have more characters displayed in a smaller space.
Been saying this for years myself.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #554
Movieman
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I read over on Facebook that the Avengers Hulk movie bust won't even have a press release until last quarter of 2012. I'm not sure who actually made this comment so I was wondering if I could verify the validity of it here. If this is true is there any reason why such as design changes or alterations. I hope not because the one at SDCC was perfect and in my opinion looked pretty ready to go.
Movieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #555
Darkhumor

Im neither a Star Wars fan, a Marvel fan or a bust fan. I do have a couple animaquettes from Gentle Giant and those pieces are what got me started as a statue collector. I would love to support GG but I think they just alienate the rest of their fans by only catering to one type of fanbase. And in my opinion theyre just going to keep milking the star wars franchise because thats what brings the money in, instead of branching out and trying something new and exploiting the talent they have. I would love a statue that isnt Star Wars, Marvel, or Sucker Punch. Again, a Walking Dead Rick Grimes statue would have been a whole helluva lot nicer to own. I guess this fan has to respectfully depart away from GG. Losing a fan isnt much of a loss as long as GG can keep making their money off their star wars/marvel cash cow. Goodbye GG. You will be missed.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #556
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhumor View Post
Im neither a Star Wars fan, a Marvel fan or a bust fan. I do have a couple animaquettes from Gentle Giant and those pieces are what got me started as a statue collector. I would love to support GG but I think they just alienate the rest of their fans by only catering to one type of fanbase. And in my opinion theyre just going to keep milking the star wars franchise because thats what brings the money in, instead of branching out and trying something new and exploiting the talent they have. I would love a statue that isnt Star Wars, Marvel, or Sucker Punch. Again, a Walking Dead Rick Grimes statue would have been a whole helluva lot nicer to own. I guess this fan has to respectfully depart away from GG. Losing a fan isnt much of a loss as long as GG can keep making their money off their star wars/marvel cash cow. Goodbye GG. You will be missed.
IMHO, there's a lot of unfair statements in here. First of all, you're accusing GG of doing what every collectibles company is doing, capitalizing off of known I.P. Of course they're going to continue to make Star Wars products, until they lose the license or it nolonger brings in a return. That's just good business. Can you imagine what it costs to get a license to make Star Wars collectibles? To have that type of investment on your books and NOT use it would be business suicide.

Lumping Sucker Punch in with the other big names is massively unfair. GG were the first company to bring us something from the film, well ahead of Sideshow and HotToys & they were the only ones to complete the whole line! Sideshow brought out Babydoll (and so far) that's it. Hot toys brought out Amber and Baby Doll and seem to have dropped it. Let's give GG credit for not jumping off as soon as it was realised the film wasn't going to be an epic hit. Not to mention, these are some of the best female statues ever produced (IMHO).

You want something which isn't Star Wars, Marvel or Sucker Punch, ok, what about HoneyTrap? What about Walking Dead? Harry Potter? and The Hobbit?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #557
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Well said
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #558
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
IMHO, there's a lot of unfair statements in here. First of all, you're accusing GG of doing what every collectibles company is doing, capitalizing off of known I.P. Of course they're going to continue to make Star Wars products, until they lose the license or it nolonger brings in a return. That's just good business. Can you imagine what it costs to get a license to make Star Wars collectibles? To have that type of investment on your books and NOT use it would be business suicide.

Lumping Sucker Punch in with the other big names is massively unfair. GG were the first company to bring us something from the film, well ahead of Sideshow and HotToys & they were the only ones to complete the whole line! Sideshow brought out Babydoll (and so far) that's it. Hot toys brought out Amber and Baby Doll and seem to have dropped it. Let's give GG credit for not jumping off as soon as it was realised the film wasn't going to be an epic hit. Not to mention, these are some of the best female statues ever produced (IMHO).

You want something which isn't Star Wars, Marvel or Sucker Punch, ok, what about HoneyTrap? What about Walking Dead? Harry Potter? and The Hobbit?
Great post.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #559
Darkhumor

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post

They've already done Harry Potter and The Hobbit/LOTR. Which I have no interest in as well. Why not try a different license? How many statues do you need of the same characters? Make new characters that havent been made before that other companies have not made.

I understand they made the sucker punch line before other companies had jumped on board. And Im not saying to stop making money off of the fanbase they already have on the product they already own. Just it'd be nice if they branched out appealing to more of a broader audience than just the licenses they currently possess. If they do a nice Walking Dead statue I will indeed support it but I havent bought anything from GG in years. I would like to, but there's nothing appealing except to the fans they already have. Its nice that they've started on the walking dead so there's a glimmer of hope.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #560
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Lol. Broader audience? Star Wars, LOTR, Hobbit, Harry Potter, and now they are doing Marvel. Talk about broad. Anything else they branch out to is going to be a much smaller audience and much smaller profit.