Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 12-02-2023, 05:55 PM   #561
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I saw your comment in the Batman thread

That's true.
But at the same time, I know just how close they are right now with Reeve. Truncating the neck and expanding the jaw a few MM are the types of tweaks that are not uncommon in the industry between prototype and production.
If they do those, I can see following through on the order and sticking to my plan of checking out.
Firstly, congratulations on the exit plan - it sounds eerily similar to my own. Do you have a new "go to" to focus on? Us hobbyists never stop (why would we) - just change course, and hopefully find a more accommodating wave to ride.

With regards to my comment in the Batman thread. I wasn't trying to be harsh, but my frustration stems from the unrealistic expectations some people seem to cling to.

As a customer, or should I say, potential customer - in negotiating with a company, I have one line of leverage....my $$$. It's the only thing they'll listen to. If I relinquish that leverage, and then try to negotiate......

Secondly, when these statue companies release a piece, generally, they're mostly TELLING you what you're getting. It's not a market test, or a debate - this is it, they've put their best foot forward and it's a take it or leave it scenario. Sure, there's the odd unicorn moment where a company appears to solicit feedback, and then make changes - but who are we kidding if we expect that to be the "norm".

That's what I was trying to get across
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:12 PM   #562
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Firstly, congratulations on the exit plan - it sounds eerily similar to my own. Do you have a new "go to" to focus on? Us hobbyists never stop (why would we) - just change course, and hopefully find a more accommodating wave to ride.

With regards to my comment in the Batman thread. I wasn't trying to be harsh, but my frustration stems from the unrealistic expectations some people seem to cling to.

As a customer, or should I say, potential customer - in negotiating with a company, I have one line of leverage....my $$$. It's the only thing they'll listen to. If I relinquish that leverage, and then try to negotiate......

Secondly, when these statue companies release a piece, generally, they're mostly TELLING you what you're getting. It's not a market test, or a debate - this is it, they've put their best foot forward and it's a take it or leave it scenario. Sure, there's the odd unicorn moment where a company appears to solicit feedback, and then make changes - but who are we kidding if we expect that to be the "norm".

That's what I was trying to get across
Most companies supposedly aren’t in a position to make any major alterations. As any major changes (or even minor) may require them to go through the approval process again with the licensor. Which is why so often the manufacturer refuses to adjust for even simple fixes.

I still remember my issues with multiple statues that Iron Studios put out of Black Panther. All they had to do was paint silver some additional mask accents that were already in the sculpt, but because of what was approved, they couldn’t do a damn thing (or simply refused to).

Though given the quality drops that frequently occur between prototype to production, of which licensors accept by their inaction, I think this excuse from manufacturers is BS.

And sometimes we’re at the mercy of manufacturers choices in production. I was pretty much alone in hating JND for changing the colour on their Golden Wonder Woman at the eleventh hour, which from their posted commentary, almost seemed to be chosen at the whim of their director. Sure it might have been more accurate to the physical movie armour worn during filming, but not how it looked in any of the many scenes of the movie, which admittedly did have quite a bit of variation, but which I still think the prototype was a far closer match.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 03:17 AM   #563
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
No, I'm not really looking to shift over to anything else.
If anything, I want to start clearing things out and making some lifestyle changes.
What about yourself?

Quote:

As a customer, or should I say, potential customer - in negotiating with a company, I have one line of leverage....my $$$. It's the only thing they'll listen to. If I relinquish that leverage, and then try to negotiate......[ ]
I can't argue with any of that. It is foolish to expect that things will be changed, in the way you personally want them changed, when these things enter production.

To bring the conversation back to this Gadot, I was happy to see, with the most recent pics, an attempt made to get the hair more in line with how it looks/drapes in the film(s).
That was a criticism of the prototype I brought up earlier this year in this thread. I don't know if someone at JND saw it, ran across that same criticism elsewhere, or if they arrived at the realization on their own. Whichever way, it's nice to see them cognizant of this kind of stuff, and willing to make alterations towards a sharper likeness.

Phoenixblazes is correct that these companies are usually contractually boxed in from making major changes- but I doubt tweaking the hair, or trying to implement the changes I suggested for Reeve, would be problematic. Unless the licensor was adversarial to begin with.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:44 AM   #564
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
No, I'm not really looking to shift over to anything else.
If anything, I want to start clearing things out and making some lifestyle changes.
What about yourself?
I'm looking to move away from the Collecting / Hoarding aspect of this "hobby" - and move more into the creative side. I'm not expecting or willing to create something commercial (e.g. Ripperverse) - but just my own private sandbox to play in. I'm not limiting myself to statue creation either, I want to explore writing, and animation as well. I've already created a framework setting for my characters, with what feels like endless possibilities for story telling, and I'm in the process of outlining character designs. Once those designs are digitized I plan to create 1/3 - 1/2 scale pieces, but I'll use those designs in animations as well.

I'm not saying I'll never buy another statue - but I certainly plan to significantly reduce my focus or awareness of the commercial statue industry, and modern pop culture as well. I'm tired of all the ridiculous gender politics, wokedom and the subversion of our once loved and treasured I.P's that, even at my worst level of creativity, I'm certain I can make something more tasteful than the trash being served up today......at least for my own personal entertainment.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:36 AM   #565
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
I'm looking to move away from the Collecting / Hoarding aspect of this "hobby" - and move more into the creative side. I'm not expecting or willing to create something commercial (e.g. Ripperverse) - but just my own private sandbox to play in. I'm not limiting myself to statue creation either, I want to explore writing, and animation as well. I've already created a framework setting for my characters, with what feels like endless possibilities for story telling, and I'm in the process of outlining character designs. Once those designs are digitized I plan to create 1/3 - 1/2 scale pieces, but I'll use those designs in animations as well.

I'm not saying I'll never buy another statue - but I certainly plan to significantly reduce my focus or awareness of the commercial statue industry, and modern pop culture as well. I'm tired of all the ridiculous gender politics, wokedom and the subversion of our once loved and treasured I.P's that, even at my worst level of creativity, I'm certain I can make something more tasteful than the trash being served up today......at least for my own personal entertainment.
I find that most of the things that are being complained about in these areas have existed since the 90’s. Particular in tv shows. However many seem to be extra sensitive to things that have existed in media for nearly 3 decades in western entertainment. Something like Buffy, which was beloved by many at the time, would in todays environment be lambasted as being extreme woke etc.

Sure nowadays some is blatantly on the nose, and imo, those points in themselves aren’t the problem. If it has a good story, I couldn’t care less about most of what is considered woke, as the original definition has been ridiculously expanded by many to include nearly everything nowadays. But if all it has are so called woke aspects, then nothing can or should save it. First it must at least have a solid story foundation.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:10 AM   #566
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I find that most of the things that are being complained about in these areas have existed since the 90?s. Particular in tv shows. However many seem to be extra sensitive to things that have existed in media for nearly 3 decades in western entertainment. Something like Buffy, which was beloved by many at the time, would in todays environment be lambasted as being extreme woke etc.

Sure nowadays some is blatantly on the nose, and imo, those points in themselves aren?t the problem. If it has a good story, I couldn?t care less about most of what is considered woke, as the original definition has been ridiculously expanded by many to include nearly everything nowadays. But if all it has are so called woke aspects, then nothing can or should save it. First it must at least have a solid story foundation.
For sure, I think you're right. To be clear, I'm fed up with both sides of the argument. In my opinion, the "anti woke" are just as toxic and childish as the so-called "woke". I recently watched the first season of Loki, and honestly, it was entertaining. But before long, the anti woke brigade took to YouTube and tore the show to pieces, nit picking everything they could to find those grains of "anti male sentiment" - and trying to run the show down.

It's funny, because the lead up to Barbie being released, the anti woke slammed it as a film delivering "the message" - and they were pegging it as a complete failure.......and then, it did really well at the box-office......so the anti woke, quickly rallied, and turned that into a new narrative, by saying "See Hollywood, if you just make movies for women, based on I.P. designed for women, you'll be successful, so leave our male oriented I.P's alone....." - it was just another example of how both sides spin the story to suit their own agenda.....and it's just depressing to watch. I just want to be entertained, have a little escapism, see some sexy women without being ashamed of how I'm wired....etc etc.....and all this Red Pill, Ultra Feminism, Blue Pill, Black Pill, Incel....blah blah blah can be someone else's hobby
Old 12-03-2023, 08:20 AM   #567
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
For sure, I think you're right. To be clear, I'm fed up with both sides of the argument. In my opinion, the "anti woke" are just as toxic and childish as the so-called "woke". I recently watched the first season of Loki, and honestly, it was entertaining. But before long, the anti woke brigade took to YouTube and tore the show to pieces, nit picking everything they could to find those grains of "anti male sentiment" - and trying to run the show down.

It's funny, because the lead up to Barbie being released, the anti woke slammed it as a film delivering "the message" - and they were pegging it as a complete failure.......and then, it did really well at the box-office......so the anti woke, quickly rallied, and turned that into a new narrative, by saying "See Hollywood, if you just make movies for women, based on I.P. designed for women, you'll be successful, so leave our male oriented I.P's alone....." - it was just another example of how both sides spin the story to suit their own agenda.....and it's just depressing to watch. I just want to be entertained, have a little escapism, see some sexy women without being ashamed of how I'm wired....etc etc.....and all this Red Pill, Ultra Feminism, Blue Pill, Black Pill, Incel....blah blah blah can be someone else's hobby
Its got to the stage where I don’t trust any critic reviews, as many have their own left or right ideologies that they follow.

I’ve read audience reviews on the newest Captain Marvel film, and many say that other than having female leads, there was surprisingly little other woke politics present. Most said it was fairly entertaining, but the story itself was a bit of a cut and paste mess. Though being what it is, I would hazard a guess many who haven’t seen the movie would consider it nothing but woke propaganda.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:19 PM   #568
Iko Iko
Fantomah

Hi all. What was the "all in" price on this from Spec again? I ordered direct from JND and seeing if I saved money or lost on the shipping bet.

Getting ready to pay this off and man, that is a big chunk of change. Still, I have been wanting a 1/3 Gal for a while and I just like this one a lot better than the Prime 1 version.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:23 PM   #569
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
I'm still eyeing 2024 as my exit year.
Is there really such a thing as "exit year"?

Can you really quit cold-turkey after the CR Superman? You are bound to experience some withdrawal symptoms.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:35 PM   #570
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
I think the cost is irrelevant. When I consider the Indiana Jones piece, it just doesn't work. I don't mean this in a nasty way, (I remain a big JND supporter)...but I wouldn't have that piece in my collection if they gave it to me for free....

I understand that as the price goes up, we expect to get more for our money - either in terms of quality, or quantity....but likeness (for each observer) is pretty digital - either it works, or it doesn't......a cheaper price doesn't change that.

That said, I personally feel, JND has done really well on their female pieces - and I feel their Gal Gadot WW pieces are the benchmark for the industry (similar to how InArt have created the benchmark for Aragorn). I would say they have a 50/50 hit rate for their male pieces....or there abouts......

But all this proves is that we all see different things.
I have a Cost-to-Perfection Ratio when it comes to collecting. Higher the price, more stringent the judgement and greater demand for perfection, especially on character likeness if the statues are movie-based.

That's why I always judge inexpensive figures differently from the expensive statues, especially the ultra-expensive hyper-realistic ones. It is fair play in my book.

I will not demand a Honda Civic to have the same performance of a Ferrari, and vice-versa.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote