Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #561
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

No communication that the statue is made out of vinyl is immoral and wrong.

I would expect sideshow to honor refunds based on their lack of transparency. It should be clear as day how collectors feel about vinyl.
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 AM   #562
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwinter92 View Post

I would expect sideshow to honor refunds based on their lack of transparency. It should be clear as day how collectors feel about vinyl.
You would think so. But it’s happening more often nowadays. In the past year we’ve got Predator Bust, Swamp Thing, now Doomsday and I’m sure I’m forgetting something else. Prime 1 also has a Dino being made out of Vinyl.

There’s even a Hot Toys Nano Gauntlet that just went up for preorder, and even though I don’t believe it was mentioned on their sales page, they have stated on social media that it’ll be made out of the dreaded Vinyl.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:51 AM   #563
TD980
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwinter92 View Post

I agree with you. One more thing about this statue, his forearms are squeezable and bendable. I am really surprised about this. None of my other statues have this quality.
TD980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:05 AM   #564
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD980 View Post
I agree with you. One more thing about this statue, his forearms are squeezable and bendable. I am really surprised about this. None of my other statues have this quality.
That’s simply ridiculous!

You’re not buying a vinyl toy here, you’re supposed to be buying a statue.

I buy Hot Toys figures as well, and even I would return this if I had purchased it.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 AM   #565
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

I used to collect these, they are priced between 15 USD and 50 USD for the bigger exclusive deluxe pieces with art box and everything:

They look incredible detailed and have a very high quality, they are about 1/6 scale.

I assume Doomsday is made of the same material. Doomsday is 1/4 and an a bit taller character than the Tauron Shamane.

50 USD (retail price of the big chars from WOW) / 4 x 6 (scale conversion) = 75 USD x 1,5 (to compensate the size of the characters) = 112,50 USD
+ 1/2 of Doomsday is made of polystone
+ base that is missing on the WOWs
+ add some higher license fees for DC
+ higher fee for the designers
+ SSC service
+ the profit margin of Sideshow
-----------------------------------------------------

= 1235 USD

Chris
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #566
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
You would think so. But it’s happening more often nowadays. In the past year we’ve got Predator Bust, Swamp Thing, now Doomsday and I’m sure I’m forgetting something else. Prime 1 also has a Dino being made out of Vinyl.

There’s even a Hot Toys Nano Gauntlet that just went up for preorder, and even though I don’t believe it was mentioned on their sales page, they have stated on social media that it’ll be made out of the dreaded Vinyl.

Not sure about predator bust, but for the rest of the other products it was communicated they were made out of vinyl before collectors paid their deposits.

They could have communicated the change at any point of the production process but collectors are only finding out about it when they have fully paid for the item. Zero consideration given for the amount of money ppl have put up for this.

Imo they just lost all credibility being able to deliver on the promised goods.
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:12 AM   #567
gearhead
The Herculoids

I just looked at the order page for this and it does says polyresin/PVC for materials. Now I think it's safe to assume that most of us would take that to mean mostly polyresin with a few small fragile bits PVC, not half the statue. I don't have a dog in this fight since I didn't order it, but I'd be super pissed if I had. The only way this doesn't happen again is if enough of you send it back. Out of curiosity I also looked at Gladiator Hulk and Juggernaut (didn't order those either) and they both only say polyresin for material on the order pages.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:06 AM   #568
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I just looked at the order page for this and it does says polyresin/PVC for materials. Now I think it's safe to assume that most of us would take that to mean mostly polyresin with a few small fragile bits PVC, not half the statue. I don't have a dog in this fight since I didn't order it, but I'd be super pissed if I had. The only way this doesn't happen again is if enough of you send it back. Out of curiosity I also looked at Gladiator Hulk and Juggernaut (didn't order those either) and they both only say polyresin for material on the order pages.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they alter the product pages after the fact from time to time.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #569
Rycher
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Hasn’t it been said previously that it’s actually more expensive to produce and create the molds for PVC statues than it is for polystone and resin statues?

From my understanding using PVC may actually be more expensive on the factory side, but supposedly you more than make up for it on the shipping costs and the reduction in breakage issues.

Note, I prefer for my ‘statues’ to have the heft you would expect from something that is called a statue, however I’m fine when particular protrusions from the statue etc are made of a more flexible material, if necessary.
I'm going to wildly speculate here and say you are spot on. I would tend to think the choice to use vinyl is, at some point along the supply chain, a cost cutting move. Shipping costs are going up aren't they?
Rycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #570
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD980 View Post
I just unboxed him. He looks good and has a presence. A tad smaller than abomination PF. However, you can smell the rubber as soon as you open the box. The head sculpts are very light and squeezable. His spikes in the upper and lower body are all bendable. His entire upper body is made out of rubber. Actually the you can hear the rubber sounds when you tap on him. He weighs about 25 lbs at the most.
smh
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote