Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 07-27-2022, 08:33 AM   #581
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I also can't stand a bunch of added crap just for the sake of adding crap detail. Perfect example. XM Jean Grey. Whatever costume they're trying to pull off is barely recognizable due to all the BS they have added.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #582
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanizor View Post
I'm fine if her face is gonna be a little cartoony as an observer, but definitely the portrait could be better.
Yeah, I don't think "cartoony" is the problem. Not that I'm sure we're all talking about the same thing when it comes to the usage of that word.

I know some weren't enamored with Sideshow's latest Catwoman PF because of it's "cartoonish" look and that's what sold me on it.

IMO, it's that mouth that is throwing off this TH Wonder Woman. Not that I love the pose, either. It's not "awful", but it is an easy pass.

I don't think the Sideshow PF with the lasso about to be thrown is going to be beat for me.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:45 PM   #583
Mechanizor
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
Yeah, I don't think "cartoony" is the problem. Not that I'm sure we're all talking about the same thing when it comes to the usage of that word.

I know some weren't enamored with Sideshow's latest Catwoman PF because of it's "cartoonish" look and that's what sold me on it.

IMO, it's that mouth that is throwing off this TH Wonder Woman. Not that I love the pose, either. It's not "awful", but it is an easy pass.

I don't think the Sideshow PF with the lasso about to be thrown is going to be beat for me.
I hear ya, but when I say cartoony I mean comic-esque or animation-esque if that makes any sense, and mostly in the portrait and the anatomy, costumes come later.
Mechanizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #584
Markhatestoys
Justice League

There's a lack of detail in that Catwoman portrait that is reminiscent of a 2-D medium; where some describe it as "cartoonish" I would probably say "comic booky". I think that kind of look is fine--but not for 1/4 scale statues. For 1/4 scale I want good detail in the portrait.

This Wonder Woman doesn't suffer from that problem in my opinion, it's more that her lips don't look good to me, her eyes are sort of far apart, and she has a large jaw. It's just not for me. Hopefully Tweeterhead takes another shot at her soon, preferably without the gigantic base.
Markhatestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:01 PM   #585
No1WonderFan
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhatestoys View Post
This Wonder Woman doesn't suffer from that problem in my opinion, it's more that her lips don't look good to me, her eyes are sort of far apart, and she has a large jaw. It's just not for me. Hopefully Tweeterhead takes another shot at her soon, preferably without the gigantic base.
100%
No1WonderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #586
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I also can't stand a bunch of added crap just for the sake of adding crap detail. Perfect example. XM Jean Grey. Whatever costume they're trying to pull off is barely recognizable due to all the BS they have added.
Yup, that's exactly what I mean when the "details" on a sculpt get out of hand. Same thing happened with the XM Nightcrawler for me. Costume is just too busy for my liking. I'm a HUGE fan of sideshow retuning to more comic accurate costumes since Igo left. I'm really hoping Tweeter stays the course and doesn't become too obsessed with "details".
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #587
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Same here.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:30 PM   #588
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Yup, that's exactly what I mean when the "details" on a sculpt get out of hand. Same thing happened with the XM Nightcrawler for me. Costume is just too busy for my liking. I'm a HUGE fan of sideshow retuning to more comic accurate costumes since Igo left. I'm really hoping Tweeter stays the course and doesn't become too obsessed with "details".

I can't compliment SSC enough for doing this. So glad they're swinging back.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:23 PM   #589
Mechanizor
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Are you guys referring to the unwanted "details" like added stitching, rivets, new modern styling, raised emblems and such?!

Becuase sometimes these 2D comic costumes will look very plain in 3D sculptures!
Mechanizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:36 PM   #590
Demona
Lex Luthor

I think the consensus is adding texture (scales, cheap leather, paneling), buckles, or undo armor can go. Also changing the look of a very popular costume design just to maybe be “modern” usually fails - especially if the colors are wrong. Seams and stitching is find by me, it just doesn’t need to be over done.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote