Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC / McFarlane

Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #51
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Once again I am in complete agreement. Honestly I got the original at cost but if I had paid secondary market price on this and the re-release showed up I would be choked.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "collectability is the backbone of the industry." The proof is in the pudding as DCD is now all but defunct and a large part of that is that they have a handful of pieces, out of the hundreds they have released, that have increased in value.
It's more than a handful. They are still churning out Black & White pieces that increase in value pretty quickly.

I was thinking of getting the variant since I had sold my original given it's increased value, but I passed because I thought the white base would look so out of place with the rest of the B&W statues. DCD did more then enough to differentiate this from the original.

And, really, all of this uproar over a variant (again, something every statue manufacturer does) has been over nothing. Has anyone looked to see how much damage this variant has done to the value of the original? The last two sold on Ebay for $340 and $499. I sold mine awhile back before this variant was announced and it went for less than most of them seem to be selling for now. There were a couple under $200 in February, but most of these are well over that amount.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #52
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
It's more than a handful. They are still churning out Black & White pieces that increase in value pretty quickly.

I was thinking of getting the variant since I had sold my original given it's increased value, but I passed because I thought the white base would look so out of place with the rest of the B&W statues. DCD did more then enough to differentiate this from the original.

And, really, all of this uproar over a variant (again, something every statue manufacturer does) has been over nothing. Has anyone looked to see how much damage this variant has done to the value of the original? The last two sold on Ebay for $340 and $499. I sold mine awhile back before this variant was announced and it went for less than most of them seem to be selling for now. There were a couple under $200 in February, but most of these are well over that amount.
they did MORE then enough to differentiate between the statues? A hackjob symbol and a white paint ring on the base? give me a break
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #53
Gustavo Freire
Jubilee

Well, I've missed somehow the opportunity to buy the original release, so this re-issue sounded like perfection to me, you know. I'm pretty okay with the images I've seen so far, but I know it's better for me to wait until I receive mine to judge it properly.
Gustavo Freire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #54
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
they did MORE then enough to differentiate between the statues? A hackjob symbol and a white paint ring on the base? give me a break
Yes, for collectors a "hackjob symbol" and a different colored base is WAY more than enough to differentiate it (it's funny how you argue that it doesn't differentiate it while referring to the different symbol as a "hackjob" symbol). Hell, DCD could've done NOTHING different and printed "2nd run" on the bottom of the base and there are plenty of collectors that would STILL place more value on the original. You seriously aren't aware of this? Many of the same group that collect comic book statues are the same people that would pay more if a book says "first printing" in microscopic print on the inside.

Then there's the whole thing where the original has not dropped in value at all and has seen some of it's highest priced sales on Ebay recently. Oh - and good luck even getting the variant for a decent price. Like many recent B&W statues, DCD seems to have made them to order and they become scarce right after they hit the streets. It's already sold out at most (if not all) online retailers and the Ebay prices are climbing. I was actually reconsidering picking it up after I saw it pictured with the other statues in someone else's collection and didn't think the white base was as off-putting as I thought. I'm apparently too late since it's no longer as cheap of an alternative to the original (which I sold long before the variant was announced for less than what I would probably get now) as I would like.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #55
tripletn@mac.co
Shadowhawk

I have the whole run of Black an White statues with the exception of the Pat Gleason and First Wave one which I do plan on picking them up. I wasn't going to get the Mignola Variant, but it is a "variant" and part of the line so I picked it up. I also realized that when I walked into my LCS and they had one, it would probably be my only chance to get it at this price point plus $10 off from the store. The originals haven't gone down in value, and the variants have already gone way up. Win/win.
tripletn@mac.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #56
siren3-4
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Original run on the 1st statue was 3800 right ?

What is the edition size for the variant re-release ?
siren3-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #57
Big B
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siren3-4 View Post
Original run on the 1st statue was 3800 right ?

What is the edition size for the variant re-release ?
Yup. 3800 for the first statue.

Unknown as they are not labelled. Judging by how fast they sold out at my LCS there had to be fewer than the original run.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #58
elijah_snow
I'm the Fourth Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleweed View Post
i dont agree with this at all. I never understood that line of thinking. I dont buy things based on their run sizes, and i dont use my statues as a 401k. I bought a UCS lego millenium falcon because i liked it. the price has since tripled since my purchase, but would have no issues if lego decided to re-release it. because i still like my purchase, and honestly, if i am looking to flip something for profit, youve got to know when to strike. you sound like the old lady with the attic full of "retired" beanie babies. and just like her, you bought a bad stock and held onto it too long. Going back to the lego example, the number of guys trying to scrape their pennies together to pay falsely inflated prices has no bearing on me since i already own it. and i dont take satisfaction in being the "coolest kid on the block" with the rare toy. And i dont think gouging guys who were either too young, too broke, or too late on the first go around is the backbone of this industry.
Couldn't disagree more....it's not about flipping something for a profit....I have never purchased a piece with the intent of re-selling it later on.....but that doesn't diminish the fact that I still enjoy knowing when a statue I've purchased escalates in value and becomes scarce....I DO like knowing that "I have that piece" when I see it fetching crazy prices on the boards and ebay....that's what collecting is about. That doesn't mean I'm gonna list it on ebay, though. It's just nice knowing that you were one of the (insert edition size here) to get one.

This piece (although gorgeous) is nothing more than a quick and dirty re-hash of the first. Even Bowen's "variant" Ultimate Captain America (which is another example) had more "variations" than this does. This kind of sh!t is bad for the hobby.
elijah_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #59
siren3-4
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Yup. 3800 for the first statue.

Unknown as they are not labelled. Judging by how fast they sold out at my LCS there had to be fewer than the original run.

Thanks,

It's interesting because I have seen 2nd print comics go for more than the 1st print at times . . . just because of it's rarity . . . that is bad business not to publish the edition sizes . . for this hobby anyway . . .
siren3-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #60
SuperBenSl8
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I want to get this piece. Is there a decent/reliable place to order it from online? My LCS closed and I'm in need to find a new place to get all my goods. thanks in advance.
SuperBenSl8 is offline   Reply With Quote