Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #591
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I do think there are people who wouldn’t have been satisfied no matter what was done. I connected to Rey as a character and thought the tradition was passed down. My son loved it and it made me remember everything I loved about the originals. I go to these movies to have fun and I totally did.
That's fair... It's all you can ask from a movie...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #592
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Some people are easy to please.
For sure expectations play a major part and I don’t hold it to as high of standards as some. I don’t speak Tusken Raider or know the names of every star ship so I understand our perspectives and emotional ties to the franchise vary.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #593
Luminous
Cyclops

EDIT: Nevermind. Not doing this again.

Glad you enjoyed it, adee. I had a blast and my kids loved it too.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #594
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
I do think there are people who wouldn’t have been satisfied no matter what was done. I connected to Rey as a character and thought the tradition was passed down. My son loved it and it made me remember everything I loved about the originals. I go to these movies to have fun and I totally did.
Because this is chapter three of a Trilogy where many people didn't like the first two chapters. Think about a book or comic you've read and stopped before finishing or stopped picking up new issues. You realize that no matter what the next chapter or issue contains, you're just not going to like it. Same thing here, it's not hate for the sake of hate, it's just not liking where the story is going or went.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #595
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

My wife and I just got back from seeing it. My hope was, I was SO turned off by the previous two and would have SUCH low expectations for this one, that I would actually enjoy it. Well, I did, sort of. I wasn't bored, thought there were some neat scenes, some cringe worthy scenes, and don't feel like we wasted our money. Do I feel the need to see it again in the theaters? Nope. Would I watch it on TV? Sure (which I don't do with TFA or TLJ).

It was a typical JJ flick, rehash old ideas, rehash old locations, rehash movie plot points and call it an original movie. Some worked I thought, some didn't. I didn't think the music always set the right tone, some of it seemed too light hearted or "jolly" in how it was presented for what (I thought) the mood was.

And why on earth was Palpatine sleeping around anyway? Makes no sense?
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #596
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Because this is chapter three of a Trilogy where many people didn't like the first two chapters. Think about a book or comic you've read and stopped before finishing or stopped picking up new issues. You realize that no matter what the next chapter or issue contains, you're just not going to like it. Same thing here, it's not hate for the sake of hate, it's just not liking where the story is going or went.
That’s cool but then I’d ask why they even went to the third if they didn’t like the first two.

I really thought the reveal was gonna be that Palpatine created Anakin and Rey through artificial midichlorian insemination. That part in the opera where he was explaining how Plagueis could create life had me convinced.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #597
risingstar
Jedi Order

Speaking for myself, I was starting to get fed up with all these new Jedi powers which kept popping up. At one point, I was saying, "If they can do that, why didn't they.... earlier". All this to say, while I can see some attempt to find new ground to take the franchise, they never really quite hit the intended marks. In the end, it all felt too familiar, trite, and predictable. You never ever felt like the rebels were ever in real danger, and perhaps most unfortunate, no matter how many vastly superior starships the new/final/whatever order had, you never believed it was ever going to be enough to beat this band of largely 20-somethings...

I go into these things with really low expectations, and still, it was barely entertaining. Well, at least my kids liked it, which makes it somewhat worth it.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #598
Mister H
Ultimates

I’ve heard they will abandon the trilogy format for a while and put out fewer movies.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #599
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
That’s cool but then I’d ask why they even went to the third if they didn’t like the first two.
Actually people did indeed stay away. This movie has the lowest opening of the trilogy, even though it opened on a weekend that leads directly into the two-week holiday season. It also has the lowest Cinemascore (meaning general audiences liked it even less than The Last Jedi).
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #600
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Actually people did indeed stay away. This movie has the lowest opening of the trilogy, even though it opened on a weekend that leads directly into the two-week holiday season. It also has the lowest Cinemascore (meaning general audiences liked it even less than The Last Jedi).
It's no surprise this brought in less than TLJ considering how "some" reacted to the previous film. You want to base this on box office performance? TLJ brought in $220 mil on opening weekend and RoS brought in a reported $175.5. That's $44.5 mil in ticket sales missing compared to the last outing. A large sum to be sure. However, that's roughly 20% of the TLJ audience that "stayed away". So 80% were still ready and willing to be here on this opening weekend. And going down to a B+ cinemascore from A isn't really indicative of much.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote