Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #601
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
This ES stuff will never end.

It's very simple: if the edition sizes are lowered, prices will increase even more than they already have. Sideshow isn't setting a Wolverine or Spider-Man or Dark Phoenix ES at 300 or 500 EVER, but if you want to play out that hypothetical, IF they did, they would probably charge 50% more to cover the spread. The reality is, SS pieces sell out eventually, so why the heck would they set their edition sizes lower than they can sell, being a large company who have invested in the infrastructure and manpower required to sell way more? Makes zero sense, and it won't happen.

If the day comes that edition sizes decline sharply, you guys will not be happy because it would be an indication that the market has contracted to an extent that Sideshow would probably can half the stuff it has in the pipeline due to poor sales. Want more Stanley Lau originals? TOO BAD, poor sales. Want more 1966 Batman pieces? TOO BAD, poor sales. Want the He-Man line to expand beyond the three already made? TOO BAD.

Additionally, if you're not a PCS collector and aren't familiar with what happens when a company keeps their edition sizes super low, feel free to wander over there and check it out. Sure, it makes for some very happy customers who get what they want, but it also creates MASSIVE, FLAMING BUTTHURT for those who miss out. It also attracts flippers like flies on ----, so enjoy being scalped to death if you happened to miss out on something you really want.

There's no perfect scenario. If you want super-low ESs, it should've dawned on you several years ago that Premium Formats aren't the place to be for that. And if they ever do become the place for that, there will be undesirable consequences you're not foreseeing. If you want cool statues without all the drama, pull up a chair and order some PFs because they're getting better than ever.

Or don't, and keep wishing for rainbows and unicorns.
I totally agree with this. I'm in this hobby to get the most iconic characters from my childhood and have them displayed nicely in my theater room. The last thing I'd want to deal with is having my hopes dashed because people with "bots" are able to scoop up the entire ES within seconds of the offering going live.

I've completely given up on Mondo releases. I get so pissed off with them that I don't even bother anymore. Unless the print is a timed release, I don't ever entertain the thought of adding the print to my collection. The scum on Ebay who turn around to flip within minutes of the order can go straight to hell!
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #602
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Why? He's the big orange world eating evil horn villain from transformers? I had him display for a year before I got into statues. He didn't seem to do any harm? Wished I kept him from the toys. But will dream of a statue to come instead.
A for effort
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #603
DingleDangle
Kindly Asked To Leave

xxxx
DingleDangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #604
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingleDangle View Post
Haha- this sums it up perfectly, if you look up "Conan, The Prize" or "Conan, Fury of The Beast" on Ebay, they both go for $1000+. Every other big collector I've seen on Youtube has one or both of these and aside from knowing that his name is Conan, they know nothing else of the character. This creates that "FLAMING BUTTHURT" effect for me lol.
I've got them both, but if it makes you feel better, Conan is probably my second favorite character.

And those pieces were fairly slow sellers initially. Fury of the Beast didn't sell out until it started shipping, and the Prize took a while to sell out too. Unfortunately we all miss stuff, that's the game.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #605
DingleDangle
Kindly Asked To Leave

xxx
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #606
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Haha- this sums it up perfectly, if you look up "Conan, The Prize" or "Conan, Fury of The Beast" on Ebay, they both go for $1000+. Every other big collector I've seen on Youtube has one or both of these and aside from knowing that his name is Conan, they know nothing else of the character. This creates that "FLAMING BUTTHURT" effect for me lol.
Selling those at 1000.00 a piece is not worth it after fees. All that trouble for so little money. Maybe if they sold it for 1500.00 to 2000.00 then it's ok imo. So at so little profit and the risk of no one buying these at the higher prices. It might be a long time before it moves after the seller lowers it back down to retail or near it.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #607
DingleDangle
Kindly Asked To Leave

xxx
Old 08-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #608
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
I totally agree with this. I'm in this hobby to get the most iconic characters from my childhood and have them displayed nicely in my theater room. The last thing I'd want to deal with is having my hopes dashed because people with "bots" are able to scoop up the entire ES within seconds of the offering going live.

I've completely given up on Mondo releases. I get so pissed off with them that I don't even bother anymore. Unless the print is a timed release, I don't ever entertain the thought of adding the print to my collection. The scum on Ebay who turn around to flip within minutes of the order can go straight to hell!
Ditto
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #609
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
This ES stuff will never end.

It's very simple: if the edition sizes are lowered, prices will increase even more than they already have. Sideshow isn't setting a Wolverine or Spider-Man or Dark Phoenix ES at 300 or 500 EVER, but if you want to play out that hypothetical, IF they did, they would probably charge 50% more to cover the spread. The reality is, SS pieces sell out eventually, so why the heck would they set their edition sizes lower than they can sell, being a large company who have invested in the infrastructure and manpower required to sell way more? Makes zero sense, and it won't happen.

If the day comes that edition sizes decline sharply, you guys will not be happy because it would be an indication that the market has contracted to an extent that Sideshow would probably can half the stuff it has in the pipeline due to poor sales. Want more Stanley Lau originals? TOO BAD, poor sales. Want more 1966 Batman pieces? TOO BAD, poor sales. Want the He-Man line to expand beyond the three already made? TOO BAD.

Additionally, if you're not a PCS collector and aren't familiar with what happens when a company keeps their edition sizes super low, feel free to wander over there and check it out. Sure, it makes for some very happy customers who get what they want, but it also creates MASSIVE, FLAMING BUTTHURT for those who miss out. It also attracts flippers like flies on ----, so enjoy being scalped to death if you happened to miss out on something you really want.

There's no perfect scenario. If you want super-low ESs, it should've dawned on you several years ago that Premium Formats aren't the place to be for that. And if they ever do become the place for that, there will be undesirable consequences you're not foreseeing. If you want cool statues without all the drama, pull up a chair and order some PFs because they're getting better than ever.

Or don't, and keep wishing for rainbows and unicorns.
Amen. Your post also gives me the opportunity to again say I give 2 sh!ts about ES. I'd rather be able to get my hands on a piece without worry than basically having to hope I win the lottery every time a piece goes up for order because the ES is 500 and the whole world if trying to get it. That's just my opinion.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #610
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
In just about every post you insinuate no one knows anything about a given character, makes you come off as a self proclaimed end all be all of comicdom .
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote