Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #621
jet_force_juno
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liquid View Post
I'm thinking that, the demographic for which this Godfather piece is intended is going to have a hard time knowing this exists. I mean, how many hardcore Godfather fans even know about a company called Cinemaquette? I could be completely wrong, but it just seems that CM would need to do some serious advertising to reach that demographic.
Indeed.. Cap, would your three friends even know about the Godfather CM if it weren't for you telling them?

I don't see "Godfather fans", be they casual collectors or otherwise not collectors at all, suddenly rushing for this piece. There are far more established, lower maintenance things for fans to collect - principaly signed photographs, movie scripts, posters, artwork, etc. etc. A $1500 statue, cool as heck as it may be... will it pull new people in?
The demographic for a Godfather piece is totally miles away from the demogrpahic of the Terminator or Alien piece. Terminators and Aliens will sell becase they have broad appeal to the demographic associated with collecting. You won't find many people on Statue Forum who wouldn't love either an Alien CM or T800 CM given the chance. The Don just won't appeal to the normal collecting demographic in the same way. So CM will have to work twice as hard to sell these pieces.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #622
cap70
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liquid View Post
Well, I'm cheering for CM to sell out on this, and every other piece they sell. Without CM, we'd have nothing left in the same league as what they're putting out. They absolutely pwn when it comes to accurate likenesse.

I'm always cheering for them too
I have been a HUGE fan of their work since they started, when there was not even 5 people talking about their products here.

I won't collect all pieces, just the characters I REALLY like, but I'm happy with their releases, even if it's a character I won't buy it, cause I know there will be always people out there there will buy these, and I ain't selfish.

But if people here are expecting EVERY character to be their most favorite, then they are wrong and choosed the wrong brand to collect.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #623
jet_force_juno
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap70 View Post
There will be buddy. There is magazines, word of mouth etc. When something as The Godfather is released(and looking _this_ wonderfull), people will know.
I can see it apearing at many mags, not as "paid" advertizing", but in notes and even on gifts lists for grow ups.
Mark my words, this piece will do VERY well. The few times I have spoken with some of my connections, I heard the popularity and interest on this piece is going EXTREMELY well
Yes, the one thing CM have on their side is time. With a probable two year wait on this the piece will build up demand no doubt.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #624
cap70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet_force_juno View Post
Indeed.. Cap, would your three friends even know about the Godfather CM if it weren't for you telling them?
THEY know cause me, and THIER friends will know cause them, and so on. It's called word of mouth.
I know/met people that told me about it without me mentioning it, though.

Quote:
I don't see "Godfather fans", be they casual collectors or otherwise not collectors at all, suddenly rushing for this piece. There are far more established, lower maintenance things for fans to collect - principaly signed photographs, movie scripts, posters, artwork, etc. etc. A $1500 statue, cool as heck as it may be... will it pull new people in?
Again, I think you are understimating the $$$ and desires of some of these people that are a fan of this movie. Something cool as this won't have any problems whatsoever finding it's way in these people's shelfs. Trust me, it will sell VERY well.

I won't repeat myself again, but take my Dad as exemple. There's many like him out there. People LOVE to collect. And you don't need to be an active STATUE collector to get this piece, or know about it's existance. You are thinking with an "active collectors" mind. Many people will get this piece and that may be the only CM piece they will ever own.

Quote:
The demographic for a Godfather piece is totally miles away from the demogrpahic of the Terminator or Alien piece. Terminators and Aliens will sell becase they have broad appeal to the demographic associated with collecting.
Yes, and I never said the Godfather was a bigger demographic, I said he will mostly apeal to a different audience. And it will. And it is.
You are using the SF mentality to judge.

Quote:
You won't find many people on Statue Forum who wouldn't love either an Alien CM or T800 CM given the chance. The Don just won't appeal to the normal collecting demographic in the same way. So CM will have to work twice as hard to sell these pieces.
You said it all, "on statue forum". Like I said, you may not find HERE, but SF is not the only place to know about these, ya know.
There's movies forums and other collectors forums out there.
I think they won't have to work harder AT ALL, just the same.
They knows there is a need out there to this kind of collectible.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #625
cap70

Quote:
Yes, the one thing CM have on their side is time. With a probable two year wait on this the piece will build up demand no doubt.
They have the time, word of mouth and a WONDERFULL product that sells itself, probably the best likeness of them yet. This thing WILL sell, and good.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #626
cap70

By the way, let's speak about Sparrow, which this thread is about.

How many people here won't be getting this piece cause it's prince range, or for no love for the character?

I bet there's MANY. Even if Sparrow is very popular now, many stills feel this piece it's expensive, or don't like the character enough to shell out $1750 for it. Or like me, just changed their collectible focus(even though I may still end up getting this one). Many Aliens, Terminators and LOTR collectors that won't be getting this piece after all.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #627
jet_force_juno
Kindly Asked To Leave

Well there is plenty of time left to see how this one pans out.

If we have already established that CM will need to look beyond regular statue collectors to sell this piece, how will it be done?
It's going to take a lot more than adverts and word of mouth that's for sure. I read movie magazines all the time - never once seen an advert for CM's. Sure you see adverts for places like Forbidden Planet - but I have to be interested in collecting in the first place to want to go follow those adverts up. I don't see adverts for Forbidden Planet and suddenyl think "must go check to see if they have a £1500 1:3 maquette of the Don for sale"

I accept there are other websites related to movies in gneral and certain specific films. So yes sure the buzz might grow on these forums, but I would point this out - how did CM's miracle approach to marketing suddenly tap in to the millions of Lord of the Rings fans across the globe which caused them to sell all the Aragorns they did? There are literally hundreds of Lord of the Rings websites, magazines, fanzines, conventions - you name it - these guys are rabid... and word of mouth is rife. An Aragorn CM would be at least as important to that cmmunity as a Godfather CM to the Godfather loving community. So why was Aragorn such a por seller?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #628
monsterfan
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

The world of toys/statues/props is filled with companies that have gone belly up from bad decisions. I know that there are fans of the Godfather movies.. What I don't know is if they would be willing to shell out $1500 for a Godfather CM. To be honest Elvis (I'm not joking!) might have been a better decision as those collectors are just as crazy as us!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #629
jet_force_juno
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap70 View Post
By the way, let's speak about Sparrow, which this thread is about.

How many people here won't be getting this piece cause it's prince range, or for no love for the character?

I bet there's MANY. Even if Sparrow is very popular now, many stills feel this piece it's expensive, or don't like the character enough to shell out $1750 for it. Or like me, just changed their collectible focus(even though I may still end up getting this one). Many Aliens, Terminators and LOTR collectors that won't be getting this piece after all.
cap, I think this is selling very well. I know there is massive over-subscription for it in the UK. At least they got it released to con-incide with the release of the DVD of number three. Leaving it in to next year, when all the buzz had died down would have been bad.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #630
cap70

Quote:
Well there is plenty of time left to see how this one pans out.

Cap I don't think that three friends and one father is a good enough indication of how this will go sales wise. Your a fan of the character - and that is swinging your judgement.
Not at all. I know people. I work in the movie business and marketing and knows about what's out there, and what sells and what not. There IS need for something like that.

Quote:
If we have already established that CM will need to look beyond regular statue collectors to sell this piece, how will it be done?
It's going to take a lot more than adverts and word of mouth that's for sure. I read movie magazines all the time - never once seen an advert for CM's. Sure you see adverts for places like Forbidden Planet - but I have to be interested in collecting in the first place to want to go follow those adverts up. I don't see adverts for Forbidden Planet and suddenyl think "must go check to see if they have a £1500 1:3 maquette of the Don for sale"
There's more out there than you know. How many people do you think saw this piece at the last Comic Con? Millions. Word of mouth nowdays DOES sell, and it's a powerfull way to sell your product, be it a movie or collectible.
Principally of a cool and unique, never seen before statue like this one.
I have seen statues in MANY magazines before. There was a nice article in one, talking about SS's Terminator 1/4 scale piece some years ago. It was in the "HOT" list. I think I mentioned it here.

Quote:
I accept there are other websites related to movies in gneral and certain specific films. So yes sure the buzz might grow on these forums, but I would point this out - how did CM's miracle approach to marketing suddenly tap in to the millions of Lord of the Rings fans across the globe which caused them to sell all the Aragorns they did? There are literally hundreds of Lord of the Rings websites, magazines, fanzines, conventions - you name it. An Aragorn CM would be at least as important to that cmmunity as a Godfather CM to the Godfather loving community. So why was Aragorn such a por seller?
Aragorn was a poor seller for VERY obvious reasons. I have seen this piece MANY times in person and is BY FAR the poorest of them all. NOT a bad piece, but the pose choice is BAD(like I always said here), and the likeness is FAR from beeing as good as the other pieces by CM. MANY extreme LOTR fans I know, didn't like this piece at all, and many had a chnace to see them in person in the Cons. No way they would fork $1500 for it.

ALSO, LOTR collectibles is NOT as popular as before. They don't seem to have hold their popularity well after the movie hype was over. Still there's interest, but is much lower now. And with a $1500 piece that don't look perfect to many collectors, that's an easy pass for them.
Closed Thread