Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 06-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #631
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

some photos from the upcoming movie, hard to tell if it will be good. The photos look pretty serious, not some geezy wayans brothers crap...

gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #632
elijah_snow
I'm the Fourth Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
some photos from the upcoming movie, hard to tell if it will be good. The photos look pretty serious, not some geezy wayans brothers crap...
John Wagner, the writer who created Dredd, was recently interviewed and said he has seen the film and loved it.

Good enough for me.

Only thing that has me more excited than the movie is this diorama. I still can't believe I paid $500 for it, but I have a feeling it will be beautiful (and worth 3 times that within a year of release...especially with a 150 ES)
elijah_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #633
hulksmash
The Riddler

Amazing pictures gaga, I'm glad they took a more serious take on dredd than the first one with Sly.

Agreed Elijah, I think this one was well worth it and I hope sideshow will make space for this bad boy to display at SDCC....
hulksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #634
dao2
Cyclops

I hope it's good :/ Not liking the helmet much seems off... Also Urban doesn't seem to have the body/lower half-face too look like Dredd... I do like him though hope his acting in it makes up for it ;p
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #635
Ex-Parrot
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Yeah I still think they should have gotten someone like Ray Stevenson for Dredd, Karl Urban just doesn't seem big or imposing enough to visually carry the role. He's a quality actor though, so hopefully he'll be able to carry it off regardless.

Right now though, the whole situation kind of reminds me of Timothy Olyphant in Hitman, a quality actor capable of kicking much on screen ass (as Deadwood and Justified have proven), but who just didn't really fit the casting needs, and looked a bit awkward in the role as a result. But again, hopefully I'm wrong here.

As for the helmet and look of Dredd in the new film, can't say I'm a huge fan based on what I've seen at this point, but maybe it looks better in the context of the film, and it does at least look like it was based on the very earliest Dredd look by original artist Carlos Ezquerra, so I can't really fault them on their choice. Especially as it gives them a chance to visually distance themselves from the Stallone version to begin with, and it also allows them to transition towards the more iconic Dredd look if they choose to do so at a later date, in the same way that characters like Batman or Ironman tend to develop visually film to film.

I just hope it is a quality film this time out. The Stallone film visually looked great, but in pretty much every other regard was a bit of a turkey unfortunately. Very much a Hollywood take on the idea of Dredd. Hopefully this time we get something that feels a little more in line with the 2000AD source material. Wait and see I guess.

As for Wagner giving it his approval, I'd like to take that as a good sign, but it is hard to know these days whether such comments are based in truth or if they are more just part of the marketing. I mean Palmiotti and Gray, who write the superb Jonah Hex comics for DC, praised how that film was coming along too, as did Geoff Johns with Green Lantern, and yet look how they turned out...
Ex-Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #636
El Pulento
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah_snow View Post
John Wagner, the writer who created Dredd, was recently interviewed and said he has seen the film and loved it.

Good enough for me.

Only thing that has me more excited than the movie is this diorama. I still can't believe I paid $500 for it, but I have a feeling it will be beautiful (and worth 3 times that within a year of release...especially with a 150 ES)
That is some good news...
El Pulento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #637
premium_substit
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Yeah it is good news, when the creator gives support that says it all.. Dredd with Sly was campy fun, but it wasn't a Dredd movie.. I can't wait for this new 1.. I can't find it, but I saw a pic on some site and it showed the back view of someone being shot in the head, you could see all the residue it looks dark and graphic, and the cast have also said it is a more darker actual Dredd movie, so I have high hopes too..

I do think they should've added a subtle prosthetic chin, such a prominent feature of Dredds
premium_substit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #638
BLADES OF STEAL
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

My WL converted yesterday on this piece.
BLADES OF STEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #639
dao2
Cyclops

grats
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #640
hulksmash
The Riddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLADES OF STEAL View Post
My WL converted yesterday on this piece.
Absolutely, congrats. This statue is going to be massive and epic rolled all up into one.
hulksmash is offline   Reply With Quote