Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #631
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Interesting posts so far for Man of Steel. My son and I went with the Walmart tickets last night to the 7:00PM show, along with several other friends. My opinion is that this movie was EPIC!!!

Did I like every aspect of the movie? No. Did I still love the movie? Absolutely!!! It was amazing in so many ways! As mentioned, Henry Cavill was absolutely AWESOME!!! And, Faora was my favorite of the villains. A true creeper! This is a fabulous film!!! I hope people will give it a chance! I loved Amy Adams as Lois Lane. Physically, she llooks all wrong for the part. But, I've always hated Lois Lane. I've NEVER understood why Superman would EVER like the total cretinous jerk that is Lois Lane!!! But, I could definitely see why he loved Lois Lane in this movie. It's fabulous! Go see this movie!!!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #632
Rainy
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post
When I was small, my parents took me to watch Superman III at the cinema. That was my 1st Superman movie. 30 years later, I am watching again a brand new retelling of the Superman legend on the big screen. Legends can be retold again and again and it never gets old because fundamentals of the characters and myth stay intact. Just like the legend of the Monkey King. It is retold countless times, and some times, it gets reinterpreted in a different way so that the new audience of a new era could relate and find it relevant. But in all reinterpretations, the characters remain true to their values and persona. Man of Steel is first and foremost a story about aliens called Krytonians from the planet Krypton. It is not a superhero movie. It is a sci-fi movie. It is a bold direction in which a comic book superhero so well known is reintroduced to modern sensibilities. It invites you to look at this, and it invites you with a serious tone to consider this as a possibility that there could be a Kryptonian among human society. One who was adopted and raised as a human with unwavering & unbreakable moral values, so deeply ingrained and so deeply planted by his foster parents. His humility, his humbleness, and his gentleness, and his self control to contain all his greatness when in all aspects of daily life, his birthright had blessed him and predestined him with enormous powers to be a god amongst men. The story of Kal-El is actually also a great story about parenthood. The good old fashioned family bond and values he learned and nurtured proclaim without a doubt the age old proverb "If a child is trained up in the right way, even when he is old he will not be turned away from it." Kal-El is the greatest champion among all heroes of his kind in legends because he was trained and molded in great love by his adopted earth parents. Man of Steel proved that Kal-El can be relevant to modern audience. It's how you tell the story. It is a breath of great fresh air into a hero that is 75 years old. The story is well crafted, the set pieces were well arranged, funneling the audience to experience his birth, his childhood, and his journey to becoming a hero through confusion ,hurt, ostracization, humility, self discovery and self control. All this culminating with an epic battle in the city. Amidst falling buildings, much explosion and debris that fly everywhere through bone crunching and terrifying battles, you could feel that although Kal-El was imbued with super abilities and invulnerability due to his alien physiology, it still feels painful and a great struggle for a titan. Near the very end, Kal-El would make a very difficult decision, one that would have many people familiar with his legend stop and gasp at the climax. And one that would cause Kal El to bear much anguish and pain. Zack Snyder and his team has truly created a new Superman that compels the modern audience to revere and suspend their disbelief, and embrace the possibility of such a hero in our modern world could exist.

first I thought its a wall of text, but after reading man this what was in my mind.
The movie is good and for sure I will watch it again with my son
Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #633
ratchet
Mandarin

The desicion at the end isn't what bothered me so much - as the amount of destruction and what had to be countless loss of life and property damage that was done before hand. In this version - Supes didn't seem to have an issue brawling in the middle of a crowded city where thousands of people were scrambling to get away - and many caught in the crossfire. Superman might have thought about maybe moving the fight to a less populated area - but didn't. This bothered me more than anything.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #634
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
The desicion at the end isn't what bothered me so much - as the amount of destruction and what had to be countless loss of life and property damage that was done before hand. In this version - Supes didn't seem to have an issue brawling in the middle of a crowded city where thousands of people were scrambling to get away - and many caught in the crossfire. Superman might have thought about maybe moving the fight to a less populated area - but didn't. This bothered me more than anything.
I haven't even seen the movie yet and my question would be "would Zod have agreed to move the fight to a less populated area?" Just from the trailers that seemed like Zod was ready to punish Earth until he "got" Kal-el. I think that's too easy to say Superman would have/could have just moved the fight.

We are too used to the Christopher Reeve "Superman saves everyone" movie when this movie appears to be a much more pragmatic movie where the bad guy is really "bad".
Old 06-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #635
albeeman
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
That is what I was thinking! I remember the "Man of Steel" only saving a handful of people in this movie.. Pity.. Occupied buildings smashed to pieces.. Only using his abilities when it was convenient for him, in proximity to, or when he was forced to. That is not a hero. He was selfish and a bigger loner than Bruce Wayne. A hero is supposed to inspire and fill you with hope, to do good because you have the ability. This was the biggest deal breaker for me. Superman is supposed to be a hero!!

Superman is supposed to do things because he can for the sake of good. He doesn't lie, doesn't steal, doesn't cheat, doesn't kill, and definitely cannot let you die.
albeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #636
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I haven't even seen the movie yet and my question would be "would Zod have agreed to move the fight to a less populated area?" Just from the trailers that seemed like Zod was ready to punish Earth until he "got" Kal-el. I think that's too easy to say Superman would have/could have just moved the fight.

We are too used to the Christopher Reeve "Superman saves everyone" movie when this movie appears to be a much more pragmatic movie where the bad guy is really "bad".

I agree with this assessment, and I have seen the movie. I don't think Superman could "move" this fight. He was trying to do the best he could under unbelievable circumstances that were in scope, even beyond his ability to control. That was the way it felt to me. He tried to stop them as quickly as he could, and he did care about all of the people who were in danger, IMO. Some events are like a whirlwind, and we try to maintain our balance and fight through them the best we can...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #637
albeeman
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Mark Waid, a HUGE Superman fan, with his heavy spoiler-filled review: http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-st...nce-you-asked/
Haha yes!!!
albeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #638
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

How does Superman have sex with Lois Lane?
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #639
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

from what i have been reading on here and on some other sites. guess this film wasn't as great as everyone was hyping it up to be after all. not surprised.
looks like ill just wait for the dvd to watch this one.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #640
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeeman View Post
That is what I was thinking! I remember the "Man of Steel" only saving a handful of people in this movie.. Pity.. Occupied buildings smashed to pieces.. Only using his abilities when it was convenient for him, in proximity to, or when he was forced to. That is not a hero. He was selfish and a bigger loner than Bruce Wayne. A hero is supposed to inspire and fill you with hope, to do good because you have the ability. This was the biggest deal breaker for me. Superman is supposed to be a hero!!

Superman is supposed to do things because he can for the sake of good. He doesn't lie, doesn't steal, doesn't cheat, doesn't kill, and definitely cannot let you die.
Hm, let's think about the first Christopher Reeves Superman movie. Lex puts him in a bad spot, 2 missiles. One headed for New Jersey and one headed for California fault. He stops the one heading for NJ but the warhead hits California. Although it "implies" it didn't hit a populated area but when we see it hit the movie showed the hit from miles in the air. maybe not a hit on San Francisco but I'm sure there were some population affected from the blast and the resulting radiation blowing east would have killed a lot. So much for the hero there. To think no casualties in a fight between supermen? Ha!