Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 04-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #641
amloprinzi
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Congratulations gomur.
amloprinzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #642
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
My Brown Wolverine arrived a few days ago, but I finally got around to snapping pics tonight. I have a crappy smart phone, so don't expect wonders!

The paints on mine could've been nicer with better masking and less clumping around the ribs. My claws also had a few small scratches. That shouldn't happen with adamantium!

Going by Koto's track record with Cyclops as an 'F' and Magneto as an 'A', then most of us will probably receive a 'B' or 'C' effort. B- overall? I really wish the Fine Art line were as consistent as the ArtFX, ArtFX+, and Bishoujo series. Those statues are consistently well painted with vibrant colors.

The gold standard at 1/6 scale remains Bowen Designs. I have Brown Action Wolvie and my bro owns Brown Museum, and both have top notch paints. The colors are richer and the shading more evident. Just cleaner overall.

One area I cannot criticize is the sculpt. Erick Sosa delivered big time! Wolverine is ripped and ready to rumble. So many beautiful viewing angles, and a pose that works alongside museum and action statues. Some collectors were worried that Wolverine was too small, and that is not the case. Shoulder to shoulder, he is yoked compared to the Bowens.

I've finally got the Wolverine my Blue Team deserves, and I cannot thank Koto enough for listening to the fans and making this happen. Now to wait for Rogue to complete the line-up!

Congrats, buddy!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #643
Askani81
The Herculoids

Congrats gomur and thanks for sharing. I am still thinking if I should get this piece.
Askani81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #644
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by amloprinzi View Post
Congratulations gomur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
Congrats, buddy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askani81 View Post
Congrats gomur and thanks for sharing. I am still thinking if I should get this piece.
Thanks guys! We did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsbells51 View Post
Don't mess with these berserker raging Wolverines!

I feel like I'm transported back to Comic-Con 2010, seeing these 3 variants at the Koto booth. Beautiful shot, HB. Your X-Force is one of a kind!
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #645
amloprinzi
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Thanks guys! We did it.

I feel like I'm transported back to Comic-Con 2010, seeing these 3 variants at the Koto booth. Beautiful shot, HB. Your X-Force is one of a kind!
Now if we could just get a few more x-men.
amloprinzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #646
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
My Brown Wolverine arrived a few days ago, but I finally got around to snapping pics tonight. I have a crappy smart phone, so don't expect wonders!

The paints on mine could've been nicer with better masking and less clumping around the ribs. My claws also had a few small scratches. That shouldn't happen with adamantium!

Going by Koto's track record with Cyclops as an 'F' and Magneto as an 'A', then most of us will probably receive a 'B' or 'C' effort. B- overall? I really wish the Fine Art line were as consistent as the ArtFX, ArtFX+, and Bishoujo series. Those statues are consistently well painted with vibrant colors.

The gold standard at 1/6 scale remains Bowen Designs. I have Brown Action Wolvie and my bro owns Brown Museum, and both have top notch paints. The colors are richer and the shading more evident. Just cleaner overall.

One area I cannot criticize is the sculpt. Erick Sosa delivered big time! Wolverine is ripped and ready to rumble. So many beautiful viewing angles, and a pose that works alongside museum and action statues. Some collectors were worried that Wolverine was too small, and that is not the case. Shoulder to shoulder, he is yoked compared to the Bowens.

I've finally got the Wolverine my Blue Team deserves, and I cannot thank Koto enough for listening to the fans and making this happen. Now to wait for Rogue to complete the line-up!

Congrats, Gomur!

Pics are awesome!
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #647
CassioSCCP
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

This is the Wolverine that I was waiting for it.

But now I have to wait and keep track of when this figure will be available in Brazil… And also if my usual seller is going to receive as ordered.
CassioSCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #648
jy90274
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Thumbs up Koto DRS > Bowen counterparts

Quote:

I agree with your comments. The Bowen paint apps are superior in many cases compared to the Koto DRS statues, and there's no question about that.

But outside of the paint apps, the Koto 1/6th line of X-men statues have better sculpts than any comparable Bowen statue.

So far, Koto has released or is releasing the following X-Men team members:

1. Blue/Yellow Wolverine
2. Psylocke
3. Gambit
4. Colossus
5. Cyclops
6. Brown Wolverine
7. Rogue

I've carefully compared each design/sculpt to the Bowen counterpart, and I can't get over how just resoundingly superior the Sosa sculpts are in comparison to the Bowen ones. It's incredible - in some cases to a comical degree. I personally own the Bowen Brown Museum, and it (along with the Blue/Yellow Museum statue) is the one Bowen counterpart that doesn't look comically bad next to the Koto/Sosa sculpts.

Now don't get me wrong - if you look at some of the Bowen statues on their own merits, they rate well. The Bowen Museum Wolverines are exquisitely beautiful in the pared-down, minimalist way that captures the basic likeness/essence of the character. The Blue/Yellow Action Bowen Wolverine's pose is dynamic and outstanding. It's just that when you put them next to a Sosa DRS statue, they just pale in comparison. In my opinion your combo shots of Bowen and Kotobukiya Brown Wolverines provide supporting evidence (more so the Action/Unmasked Brown Wolverine).

For example the Brown Unmasked Bowen has a bizarre-looking 'dolphin' forehead and top-to-bottom 'squashed' face, which just kills it for me. It probably has that look because it's a re-sculpt of the Bowen Blue/Yellow Action statue (which I also own). Even that has a weird forehead but looks acceptable because he is masked.

Next, I've always maintained that the proportions on all the Wolverine Bowen statues are flat-out wrong. The guy is supposed to be 5'3" and 185 pounds - looking at it proportionately, he should look like an Olympic powerlifter (read: SQUAT and muscle-bound, to the extreme). In comparison to this standard, the Bowen Wolverines are positively lanky/slender, even if the arms are muscled (note the relatively puny 'chicken legs')!

Basically as far as sculpts are concerned - Koto + Sosa nails it completely; Bowen misses it by a mile. Check out my attached photo of the DRS Brown Wolverine, Gambit, and Psylocke - I'm lucky enough to be able to enjoy this view at work every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150424_110237_335.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	89926  
jy90274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #649
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #650
bat22
Frackin!

Between Kotos and Bowens, I generally don't view one sculpt as superior over another. There are a few exceptions (flight jacket Rogue) but it's mostly artistic preference. I like the brown and tiger stripe Bowen Museum Wolverines because they're still muscled ("chicken legs" my...) but also looking lean and agile, the way I prefer Batman done by Neal Adams as opposed to Ed McGuinness. This is the Wolverine of my childhood who squared off against Sabretooth invading the X-Mansion in Uncanny 213.

The way one might prefer Bowen Colossus w/ the proportions of John Byrne, or Koto Colossus who jumped right out of the Children of the Atom arcade game.

Or the green and grey Bowen Retro Hulks who harken to Sal Buscema as opposed to the Koto Classic more in line w/ Gary Frank.

Generally the Bowen sculpts have a more classic Joe Jusko look, more by design than miss.
bat22 is offline   Reply With Quote