Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #661
travis
A.I.M.

That koto guy just took it in the bum from the Bowen guy. That's why Koto is hunched over in pain. Koto guy is saying "Damn I hate when that sheet happens!" Fact jack
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #662
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I'd have to go with Bowen's Variant on this one. They're both terrific sculpts. Yeah people can say the Koto Hulk is more dynamic, but if you really think about it, Bowen's is just as dynamic. They're both very pissed off...it's just that one is expressing it while being hunched over, and the other is expressing it while standing straight up.

For me, the paint app and the base is why Bowen wins. It's flawless on the Variant. He has a green tongue and his purple pants are blowing in the wind...how cool is that? The Koto Hulk obviously has better detail in it's sculpt, but the weak paint app and fish eye has failed it.

Bowen's base is much more creative than Koto's. Smashed pavement Vs a rock. Sosa's hulk could've really been something had the paint app been better.

On a fair note, I don't own one Bowen statue; however, I own plenty of Kotobukiya statues. All my Koto statues are perfect...very picky when it comes to statues. But between these two, Bowen has won me over just on quality alone. I know a good statue when I see one (new Punisher PF), and if I had to absolutely have my very 1st Bowen statue right now, it'd be this Hulk Variant.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #663
built2shred
Phoenix

I don't own the Bowen one either but based on the pictures the really bright paint makes it look more like a plastic toy then a statue. Might look better in person..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #664
T-Jam
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
That koto guy just took it in the bum from the Bowen guy. That's why Koto is hunched over in pain. Fact jack
T-Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #665
T-Jam
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
I'd have to go with Bowen's Variant on this one. They're both terrific sculpts. Yeah people can say the Koto Hulk is more dynamic, but if you really think about it, Bowen's is just as dynamic. They're both very pissed off...it's just that one is expressing it while being hunched over, and the other is expressing it while standing straight up.

For me, the paint app and the base is why Bowen wins. It's flawless on the Variant. He has a green tongue and his purple pants are blowing in the wind...how cool is that? The Koto Hulk obviously has better detail in it's sculpt, but the weak paint app and fish eye has failed it.

Bowen's base is much more creative than Koto's. Smashed pavement Vs a rock. Sosa's hulk could've really been something had the paint app been better.

On a fair note, I don't own one Bowen statue; however, I own plenty of Kotobukiya statues. All my Koto statues are perfect...very picky when it comes to statues. But between these two, Bowen has won me over just on quality alone. I know a good statue when I see one (new Punisher PF), and if I had to absolutely have my very 1st Bowen statue right now, it'd be this Hulk Variant.
if one day you do get him im sure you'll love him. both the reg and the variant are amazing and love seeing them everyday.
btw, killer avatar brother.
T-Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #666
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I don't own the Bowen one either but based on the pictures the really bright paint makes it look more like a plastic toy then a statue. Might look better in person..
Then you haven't seen a good quality paint job yet.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #667
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
Then you haven't seen a good quality paint job yet.
Quality of the paint app might be top notch but that doesn't change the fact that the bright colors make it look like a toy
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #668
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jam View Post
if one day you do get him im sure you'll love him. both the reg and the variant are amazing and love seeing them everyday.
btw, killer avatar brother.
Thanks for the avatar props. It's too bad Koto doesn't do 1/6 Star Trek characters. There's a lot of great characters they could do. Old-school Star Trek, of course. I'd be all over it.

I definitely plan on picking up the Variant via eBay...he's on my A-list of statue wants, for sure. I also love the Savage, but just prefer the Variant a little more.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #669
crankyjammies
I am da law!

Quote:
Quality of the paint app might be top notch but that doesn't change the fact that the bright colors make it look like a toy
In person, it really doesn't. It just gives it more of that comicbook-feel.
crankyjammies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #670
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
To be fair, it's not like Bowen Hulk isn't using a bright green either. I can argue that his gloss finish and cartoonish face... okay, that was mean... "Bronze Age stylings" have more of a plastic "toy" feel than the Koto. Unless Hulk stopped by Muscle Beach to lube himself up or something.

In person the Koto does look amazing and the sculpt speaks to my inner fanboy more than the Bowen - but to each their own. Can people finally stop with the mud-slinging?

For those who are bothered by the Koto's matte finish, I wonder if there's a spray can that can add a layer of gloss after masking the statue? Maybe a question to ask a resident painter on this here forum.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote