Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 06-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #61
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171
IMO, it would be kick ass to have Union Jack in a Marvel team up kind of thing............have short story arcs with him and other Marvel heroes battling terrorism and the like. I think it could be a sweet idea.
Sounds cool, London is an untapped goldmine of potential as far as comics is concerned.

Of course the ideal conclusion is an invaders title, but I think that's a bit too hopeful
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #62
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Joe, I was kind of let down with Sgt Rock #6. IMO, there was no climax to the story. I will have to re-read these......

Capt America was awsome!! I wish Union Jack was going to be in more issues....
Mike, I understand what you mean by Sgt. Rock. That's actually why I referenced the final episode of NYPD Blue. Though the series ended it didn't seem as if the story did. That's because life goes on and, in Rock's case, this mission took place during WWII and Rock and Easy still had a job to do after completing this mission. In a way you're left hanging at the end but, to me, that made this story in particular more compelling because it added to the realism Kubert was creating aftert bathing us in the realities of both war battles and Holocaust horror. But, again, I understand your point.

As far as Union Jack, I really hope his upcoming book is a big seller. I also think he'd make a great Avenger though he's stationed in London.

And, yeah, Captain America is just awesome these days! I'm so glad he's back on top of the comics world!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:50 PM   #63
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

More praise for Captain America, from www.newsarama.com:

Captain America # 19 (Marvel; by Koben): Forget about his upcoming work on Marvel's merry mutants, this is the Brubaker book not to miss! While evil heavy, Lukin, converses with the voice in his head, Captains America and Britain, along with Spitfire, take on the threat of the Master Race, resulting in the major explodo. An interrogation of a big-time arms dealer sheds some light on the whereabouts of the Winter Soldier. What ties does the Red Skull have to the leader of the Master Race? Steve Epting's art, inked by himself and by Perkins, is beautiful, realistic, and brutal. Simply fantastic, every month. Did I mention the gorgeous Agent 13? Yeah, Sharon's in there, too. *sigh*
Old 06-27-2006, 12:21 AM   #64
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Mike, I understand what you mean by Sgt. Rock. That's actually why I referenced the final episode of NYPD Blue. Though the series ended it didn't seem as if the story did. That's because life goes on and, in Rock's case, this mission took place during WWII and Rock and Easy still had a job to do after completing this mission. In a way you're left hanging at the end but, to me, that made this story in particular more compelling because it added to the realism Kubert was creating aftert bathing us in the realities of both war battles and Holocaust horror. But, again, I understand your point.

As far as Union Jack, I really hope his upcoming book is a big seller. I also think he'd make a great Avenger though he's stationed in London.

And, yeah, Captain America is just awesome these days! I'm so glad he's back on top of the comics world!
I would LOVE to see Marvel start up the Invaders again with Union Jack in the lead as a super powered anti-terrorist group. Union Jack, Spitfire, Winter Soldier..............who else would be good to have?????

Joe, do you think they are going to kill Bucky at the end of this Capt America arc??? Gods, I hope not.......
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #65
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would LOVE to see Marvel start up the Invaders again with Union Jack in the lead as a super powered anti-terrorist group. Union Jack, Spitfire, Winter Soldier..............who else would be good to have?????

Joe, do you think they are going to kill Bucky at the end of this Capt America arc??? Gods, I hope not.......
Mike, I sincerely doubt it. They've put too much into bringing him back and he has too much potential in his new identity since being back. Plus, they've integrated him into Wolverine's history. I think we'll be seeing more of Buck Barnes after this latest Cap arc.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:43 AM   #66
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

I just wish they'd release the new Cap America series in oversized HC format.
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #67
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

I got Eternals on the basis that it was written by gaiman. wasn't too keen that it was drawn by Romita though...can't stand his art style - it's too... "blocky"

I'll probably stick with it
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #68
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division
I got Eternals on the basis that it was written by gaiman. wasn't too keen that it was drawn by Romita though...can't stand his art style - it's too... "blocky"

I'll probably stick with it
Romita Jr is the artist who's style most closely resembles Kirby in terms of sheer power and dynamism. Not to say he can mimick Kirby like Steve Rude or Bruce Timm can. JR JR did some outstanding work on Thor that had the Kirby feel to it and I think he's doing the same thing on Eternals.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #69
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

but it is so different from Kirby! It is too sketchy! It looks like it is half finished
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #70
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division
but it is so different from Kirby! It is too sketchy! It looks like it is half finished
Often this is a function of who's inking the pencils. Kirby's Thor work often looked sketchy due to Vince Coletta's simply awful inking. Check out JR JR's work on Iron Man with Bob Layton inking him, or his Thor and Wolverine work both inked by Klaus Janson, or his earlier Spider-Man inked by Jim Mooney, X-Men inked by Dan Green, Daredevil inked by Al Williamson, Hulk inked by Tom Palmer, or his later Spider-Man inked by Scott Hanna. All exceptional stuff!

It's really the pure power and energy his work conveys rather than similarity in styles, which do have similarities after all.