Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 07-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #61
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Guys, the market is too crowded nowadays. PCS is a rather small company that earned its living from 2 licenses. Mortal Kombat and SF. Mortal Kombat is an already rather "dead" license and SF is becoming slowly (nowadays only a fraction of boys play SF vs 20 years ago). PCS should find other niches and they should focus on Jerry's expertise. Big, muscular males.

A better solution would be Jerry to become a freelancer and help Sideshow with its Marvel and DC lines. He together with Martin Canale would be the IDEAL sculptors of a 1/3 or 1/2 Marvel or DC line, sculpting behemoths, like Hulk, Bane, Darkseid etc.

This probably wont happen in the coming months or years (Jerry loves to have his own studio) but someday he will think of his legacy and i see a possibility in the future. SF is a good license and a Sagat 1/3 is going to be a grail, but for how many years? 10-20? SF is an old game with a rather old fan base. There are too many games nowadays and young boys play 100s of games. When they get older, they would have other priorities.

A Hulk 1/3 or 1/2 from Jerry will seal his legacy as the best male sculptor of our era along with Martin Canale. Or a Thanos 1/3/1/2 etc.

This is my personal dream. To have a monstrous Hulk or Thanos sculpted by the masters of our era (Jerry and Martin) in front of me. The ultimate pop culture statues by the ultimate sculptors!
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #62
Python
Omega Red

Any sign of the Karl Urban Dredd at the show?
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #63
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by forps View Post
Guys, the market is too crowded nowadays. PCS is a rather small company that earned its living from 2 licenses. Mortal Kombat and SF. Mortal Kombat is an already rather "dead" license and SF is becoming slowly (nowadays only a fraction of boys play SF vs 20 years ago). PCS should find other niches and they should focus on Jerry's expertise. Big, muscular males.

A better solution would be Jerry to become a freelancer and help Sideshow with its Marvel and DC lines. He together with Martin Canale would be the IDEAL sculptors of a 1/3 or 1/2 Marvel or DC line, sculpting behemoths, like Hulk, Bane, Darkseid etc.

This probably wont happen in the coming months or years (Jerry loves to have his own studio) but someday he will think of his legacy and i see a possibility in the future. SF is a good license and a Sagat 1/3 is going to be a grail, but for how many years? 10-20? SF is an old game with a rather old fan base. There are too many games nowadays and young boys play 100s of games. When they get older, they would have other priorities.

A Hulk 1/3 or 1/2 from Jerry will seal his legacy as the best male sculptor of our era along with Martin Canale. Or a Thanos 1/3/1/2 etc.

This is my personal dream. To have a monstrous Hulk or Thanos sculpted by the masters of our era (Jerry and Martin) in front of me. The ultimate pop culture statues by the ultimate sculptors!
i always appreciate your kind words regarding my skills but no way i will ever be working for outside companies.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:35 AM   #64
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:

I disagree with your point on Street Fighter having an old fan base. Street Fighter V is probably one of the worst title launches of this generation, but it is still very popular and growing in the fighting game scene.

It didn't sell as well as it could have due to Capcom's decisions, but that has not stopped a numerous amount of new players joining the game. I have seen far more young gamers playing Street Fighter now more than ever. Even Street Fighter 4 was the same way.

As for who actually buys the statues, that's a different matter altogether.

Lastly, I think it's fair to say that PCS works best and most comfortable with what they want to work on most. If you stay in one area of expertise, you still leave a lot of areas untouched to grow in. True, you could do muscular male sculpts, but naturally human beings do want to try different things.

They've branched out to Power Rangers for one, which looks very promising. Even the recent 1:3 Chun-Li was an amazing piece that was put together, and it was different than the suggested area of expertise.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #65
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
I disagree with your point on Street Fighter having an old fan base. Street Fighter V is probably one of the worst title launches of this generation, but it is still very popular and growing in the fighting game scene.

It didn't sell as well as it could have due to Capcom's decisions, but that has not stopped a numerous amount of new players joining the game. I have seen far more young gamers playing Street Fighter now more than ever. Even Street Fighter 4 was the same way.

As for who actually buys the statues, that's a different matter altogether.

Lastly, I think it's fair to say that PCS works best and most comfortable with what they want to work on most. If you stay in one area of expertise, you still leave a lot of areas untouched to grow in. True, you could do muscular male sculpts, but naturally human beings do want to try different things.

They've branched out to Power Rangers for one, which looks very promising. Even the recent 1:3 Chun-Li was an amazing piece that was put together, and it was different than the suggested area of expertise.

Guys, you are ALL making the SAME mistake. WE, WE, WE like Robocop or SF or MK. A generation of men between 30 and 50. New generations of men (today's boys) play 100s of games, 100s. They play one game for 6 days, another for 2 weeks etc. In our era, guys played SF or MK for MONTHS. Fewer games, less competition, different consoles etc. Or checkout Robocop. New generations dont give a F..K about Robocop. Its a thing of older guys. Who will give a sh.t for SF in 25-30 years ? Noone.

But Superman or Hulk are ALREADY part of pop culture, part of history. Superman is a character nearly 90y old. And he will be there in the next 100y. DC or Marvel are for new generations what MOTU was for older and even more. New generations GROW UP with DC and Marvel. Comics, toys, movies.

How will give a f...k for a Sagat in 30years ? NOONE. Jerry is going to sculpt the ULTIMATE muscled male but his sculpt will vanish.

Its a thing that Jerry will probably start to think about in 4-5 years. His Legacy. To produce a sculpt to pass the test of time. A sculpt that next generations of human beings are going to admire as part of pop culture of the 21st century.

He loves to work with his own studio, its obvious, but in 4-5 years his legacy is going to be the first thing to think about. He earned enough money, he bought enough things and cars, time to seal his legacy as THE male sculptor of our era. SF and MK are mere video games, MK is nearly "dead" as a license and SF is slowly "dying". Collectors would love a 1/3 or 1/2 Hulk sculpted from the master himself, Jerry! A true piece of art!

Jerry, Martin, Andy or Steve (Wang) are masters, money isnt their only motivation. I bet that in some years time, Jerry is going to clear his mind and go full out to achieve greatness, to seal his legacy. SF is good, but Jerry deserves BETTER licenses to fulfil his potential.

My 0.48 cents, guys!
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #66
Spartan01
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
i always appreciate your kind words regarding my skills but no way i will ever be working for outside companies.
Any updates on American Werewolf 7 inch line ??

Thx
Spartan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #67
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Guys, you are ALL making the SAME mistake. WE, WE, WE like Robocop or SF or MK. A generation of men between 30 and 50. New generations of men (today's boys) play 100s of games, 100s. They play one game for 6 days, another for 2 weeks etc. In our era, guys played SF or MK for MONTHS. Fewer games, less competition, different consoles etc. Or checkout Robocop. New generations dont give a F..K about Robocop. Its a thing of older guys. Who will give a sh.t for SF in 25-30 years ? Noone.

But Superman or Hulk are ALREADY part of pop culture, part of history. Superman is a character nearly 90y old. And he will be there in the next 100y. DC or Marvel are for new generations what MOTU was for older and even more. New generations GROW UP with DC and Marvel. Comics, toys, movies.

How will give a f...k for a Sagat in 30years ? NOONE. Jerry is going to sculpt the ULTIMATE muscled male but his sculpt will vanish.

Its a thing that Jerry will probably start to think about in 4-5 years. His Legacy. To produce a sculpt to pass the test of time. A sculpt that next generations of human beings are going to admire as part of pop culture of the 21st century.

He loves to work with his own studio, its obvious, but in 4-5 years his legacy is going to be the first thing to think about. He earned enough money, he bought enough things and cars, time to seal his legacy as THE male sculptor of our era. SF and MK are mere video games, MK is nearly "dead" as a license and SF is slowly "dying". Collectors would love a 1/3 or 1/2 Hulk sculpted from the master himself, Jerry! A true piece of art!

Jerry, Martin, Andy or Steve (Wang) are masters, money isnt their only motivation. I bet that in some years time, Jerry is going to clear his mind and go full out to achieve greatness, to seal his legacy. SF is good, but Jerry deserves BETTER licenses to fulfil his potential.

My 0.48 cents, guys!

My Legacy is the Street Fighter action figures and 1:3 statues

Thats plenty for me. My ego isnt so big i need more
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #68
SONICobra
Batman

-sigh- ill just have to keep imagining a macaluso juggernaut...

on topic, the power ranger stuff looked awesome
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #69
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:

My 0.48 cents, guys!
I'm just going to say I respect your thoughts. Street Fighter has been around for 30 years so I think it will still be remembered in the future. These charactrs have a charm that I and many others will always love.

I don't think there's a "better" license so to speak, I suppose if you're referring to money then I get it. Ultimately, it's just a matter of a preference. A Street Fighter statue is just as special as a Marvel statue and vice-versa.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #70
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
-sigh- ill just have to keep imagining a macaluso juggernaut...

on topic, the power ranger stuff looked awesome
You know he should sculpt one, get it painted up and just say eat me to everyone.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote