Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 06-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #701
Jyester
Kindly Asked To Leave
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I think 600 could be a lot but I think Jerry wants to experiment with a 1 week TBD ES with an upper bound and this is a good statue to experiment with. Filmation fans are kinda low in numbers but this pair has a lot of hype so we will see.
Ok but why experiment at this stage of the game? What about the old adage if its not broke dont fix it.

Set your ES on the EX pieces and have an open ES on the regular. This has seemed to work ok to date.
Jyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #702
dao2
Cyclops

I think it'll sell 600 :P
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #703
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyester View Post
Ok but why experiment at this stage of the game? What about the old adage if its not broke dont fix it.

Set your ES on the EX pieces and have an open ES on the regular. This has seemed to work ok to date.
Because it is not as much of a risk as other lines like MK & SF as MOTU is not as sensitive to ES.

Diehard MOTU fans will order this regardless of ES.
If he sells to just them he could miss out on higher numbers. If he can sell a bunch he will justify the lower price without gouging or alienating regular buyers. If it flies like hotcakes then he makes a tidy profit. Plus he knows things are selling based on flip potential and set ES but it can be hard to gauge how much. He's just trying out the other side of the fence.

Missing out has an effect on the psyche. Many will forgo a piece rather than not have everything. Nobody wants a lesser $500+ Battle-Cat.

The broad appeal gives chance for people to hop on board the line or ordering direct from PCS in general.

All this said, I'm getting this regardless but there is a certain appeal of a couple months back thinking Battle-Cat might be some truly limited piece like Darkness or Scorpion.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:32 AM   #704
hockeyflow33
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyester View Post

I'd rather have the artist make money on his work than some guy on ebay selling 5 of these for 300% profit.
hockeyflow33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 AM   #705
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

battle cat will be the first statue I buy from PCS

is there anything I should know about the buying process when it is available for PO?

how is the webpage response like?

any info is much appriciated

One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:00 AM   #706
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyflow33 View Post
I'd rather have the artist make money on his work than some guy on ebay selling 5 of these for 300% profit.
Flipping is what many people do. Flipping houses, automobiles, antiques, old fixer up cars and games, etc. what's the difference with statues? These are not special that it can't be flip right? There's no rule about how someone must collect or can't get rid of a statue we don't want. So if someone buys doom, first hulks pf etc for thier own collection and decide they don't want it anymore. Will they sell it for retail? Of course not. Most statues now stay on PO for hours to months. If someone can't order it then it's not the flippers to be blame but the people who waited or was not prepared. It will never go away no matter how we dislike it. I think it's more about people getting angry seeing others make small change and wasn't prepare to order and miss out. This battle cat set will sell well but it will not sell out in minutes. There's also a TBD ES on BC ex. What are we all worried about missing out? Im not even going to order until release day if I like it. I bet I can still find enough by then at retail in the after market. I'm saying there's going to be plenty for all who wants one. Flipping for small change is more part of the hobby to get what you want and not to get rich from. At least my opinion it is. If your a store ordering a massive amount at the store 50% or do off rates then that's different than a private seller ordering 1, 2, 3 to flip or trade.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #707
Timothy
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Flipping is what many people do. Flipping houses, automobiles, antiques, old fixer up cars and games, etc. what's the difference with statues? These are not special that it can't be flip right? There's no rule about how someone must collect or can't get rid of a statue we don't want. So if someone buys doom, first hulks pf etc for thier own collection and decide they don't want it anymore. Will they sell it for retail? Of course not. Most statues now stay on PO for hours to months. If someone can't order it then it's not the flippers to be blame but the people who waited or was not prepared. It will never go away no matter how we dislike it. I think it's more about people getting angry seeing others make small change and wasn't prepare to order and miss out. This battle cat set will sell well but it will not sell out in minutes. There's also a TBD ES on BC ex. What are we all worried about missing out? Im not even going to order until release day if I like it. I bet I can still find enough by then at retail in the after market. I'm saying there's going to be plenty for all who wants one. Flipping for small change is more part of the hobby to get what you want and not to get rich from. At least my opinion it is. If your a store ordering a massive amount at the store 50% or do off rates then that's different than a private seller ordering 1, 2, 3 to flip or trade.
No, I disagree. Anyone flipping statues for profit is a HORRIBLE person.
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #708
bonedaddy77
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
It's an expensive hobby so if somebody can make a few bucks to help support the addiction then more power to them.
bonedaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #709
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
So same goes for anyone trading for more than what they paid in collectibles, homes, cars, antiques, etc. I wonder what my lcs will say if I ask them to please don't charge more than what they paid for all their items? They sell personal collection items and my lcs raises the prices of statues to almost 100.00 or more above suggested retail on new statues. It would be wrong and they are terrible for doing so. BBTS buys older toys and sells them for more. Also if anyone here sells the early pf or XM pf for more than retail I would love to get them. I highly doubt it will happen. I look at it as people are doing it mostly to put all the money back into collecting. Its to keep their hobby alive. Btw many small flippers of statues wont make much more after all the fees and risk of things breaking in transit which will cost them quite a bit if they would get a return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedaddy77 View Post
It's an expensive hobby so if somebody can make a few bucks to help support the addiction then more power to them.
Yeah i really don't care what someone else does with their things. If they make some change then good for them. If they lose money then that's just too bad. These days most statues linger around for hours or months before they sell out.
As for this PCS he-man BC set. It's going to be huge. This cat works for the filmation statues saying if we don't get a BC filmation I would buy this BC for sure later on. He looks awesome! But at this point I dont need two BC just yet.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #710
Timothy
The Spirit

[QUOTE=Comicbookguy;5067290]So same goes for anyone trading for more than what they paid in collectibles, homes, cars, antiques, etc. I wonder what my lcs will say if I ask them to please don't charge more than what they paid for all their items? They sell personal collection items and my lcs raises the prices of statues to almost 100.00 or more above suggested retail on new statues. It would be wrong and they are terrible for doing so. BBTS buys older toys and sells them for more. Also if anyone here sells the early pf or XM pf for more than retail I would love to get them. I highly doubt it will happen. I look at it as people are doing it mostly to put all the money back into collecting. Its to keep their hobby alive. Btw many small flippers of statues wont make much more after all the fees and risk of things breaking in transit which will cost them quite a bit if they would get a return.

With all due respect, transactions that involve homes and cars is a false analogy. People invest into homes and cars in disrepair to fix them up. That scenario is different than when a person buys a statute and puts it up on ebay before receiving the statue. Their whole intention was to take advantage of the connection that people feel with these characters by price gouging limited edition statues.
I am reminded of a Batman Returns Catwoman figure that my sister wanted. It retailed for 5 dollars and a "flipper" charged 20 dollars. That flipper offered many of your same arguments. It takes a big man to scam a little girl like that. I guess as long as it "keeps your hobby alive" that is all that matters.
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote