Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #721
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
The teeth definitey look more menacing.
They do have a more razor sharp appearance.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #722
Sandman585
Hydra

Quote:
The teeth definitey look more menacing.
The smoother body looks better too I think.
Sandman585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #723
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman585 View Post
The smoother body looks better too I think.
Agree with that too. XM's will be a massive, hulking, lunging Venom in that pose when he's released. He'll be more than enough big, that's for sure.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #724
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
To everyone comparing SS to XM, please keep things in perspective.
XM is twice the price.
And not sold here.
And requires insane shipping.
And middlemen resellers from Singapore who all charge handling.
And if you don't like what you get, well...

So let's keep things grounded. If you prefer pictures of XM concept art please pay $600 more and roll the dice. I personally don't think XM pieces merit the hassle and markup over SS where I get peace of mind and great quality regardless.

This Venom looks amazing,and I would buy the SS Venom and Carnage combined before buying the XM standalone venom as they'll probably run around the same cost. Perhaps that should be more what people are comparing...
I would rather pay more to get the one I want otherwise I will be complaining to myself daily. Heck these are high priced no matter which version we buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoToys View Post

Sweet..looks like it'll be the EX
I can't tell the difference between the ex and reg heads except the tongue is a bit longer? Need to see more.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #725
Cali604
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
C'mon man...I get it that people like XM better and are willing to pay more, and I also get that some people got a connection to Singapore on day one and are able to secure pieces for close to their actual retail price, but if this isn't the reality for the majority of "outsiders" at this point, then the retail price on XM's website is simply irrelevant. I don't care what other places in the world pay for it, I can only care about what an XM piece would actually cost me compared to a PF, if it comes down to deciding between the two.

I have zero issue with people arguing for the quality of XM over Sideshow, but the price thing really gets annoying. They're not in the same ballpark if you're not "in". I know this having just paid an arm and a leg for a pre-order on an XM piece.
you are 100% right...but some people dont want to hear the truth.
Cali604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #726
w00tw00t
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

haven't been this excited about a piece in probably 3 years =)
w00tw00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #727
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Not true. I can buy Prime 1 1:3 for cheaper pricing than I can find XM 1:4, at least based off the prices I have seen on past statues and the the prices my buddy is paying for his XM statues. I don't think he has paid under $1200 to date for any of his statues and he had paid a good deal more on many of them. From my experience in the US, you can expect to pay at least double Sideshow pricing for XM statues. And there is a pretty significant difference between 1:3 and 1:4 so even if the pricing was a bit higher on the 1:3, I would still choose 1:3 Prime 1 over 1:4 XM.
Well, so you are going off 1 individual? I don't pay near as much for my statues. Darkness will obviously be costly...as well as Ghost Rider, but these puppies are weighing in at a good 40 - 45lbs and 47 - 52 lbs. The majority of statues after shipping run around $900. Don't get me wrong, it's still expensive, but I feel much better knowing my Venom won't tilt over and go splat, have paint chips or mishaps, be engineered all funky (COTD statues anyone?), have tons of extras and a high quality print to boot, oh not to mention the best packaging in the industry.

Also, size doesn't mean a great quality product. Fortuantely, for Prime 1 their product in terms of QC is top notch. The AD is as lame as a ducks quackin ass. Some of the most simple and boring poses in the market. There is no agressive progression on pushing this industry forward IMO from Prime 1 on a pose standpoint. I do love their translucent resin paint ups and what not. Here's the other thing, for some strange reason both Prime 1 and SS (a match made in heaven IMO) just for some reason love to do rehashed characters...and I mean obnoxiously so! Meanwhile, XM has top notch QC, agressive forward thinking poses to push the medium forward while also having a few select museum poses, AND most importantly, tackle characters SS has never done in 15 years. OH and somehow, they still manage to continue to make different takes on the same character (Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man) instead of just repaints (whoopdeedoo).

The bottom line is, those who are so defensive and gung ho with SS is mainly due to the fact they are harder to obtain, shipping is absorbent (welcome to others pain arrogant US buzzards), so they SETTLE for what they can get. And in all honesty, that's not a bad thing, but from someone who has owned product from all companies just about at one point or another (except Prime 1...waiting to see how GI Joe comes out) no company I have ever bought product from have the highest consistent quality of product from box to the highest point of the statue and all the other goodies that come with it like XM. NOT ONE COMPANY.

Getting back to this Venom, obviously, the sculpt in and of itself is of decency, as I don't have the sculpting skill to come remotely close to it, but the style (bumpy, elephantitis like, super duper varicose vein look is UGLY TO ME (I stress ME). Secondly, the pose is not befitting of Venom (just like Black Canary). The base is...meh at best...but I guess it goes in step with the Spiderman statue so it's not all bad. As to which Venom I prefer in regards to SS Comiquette or this new SS Venom PF....hmmm...I'd guess I'd lean towards this new Venom because at least I know what the hell Venom is doing. The Comiquette is one of those statues like ROGUE PF where you look at the pose and think what the hell are they doing? Rogue the almighty airhead looking up at the clouds for what? Venom looking like he is doing a Cameo Rigor Mortis dance off. I like statues that make sense. So yeah, at least this new Venom makes sense as to what he is doing, except, I don't see him doing a Cesar from Planet of the Apes maneuver like what he is doing here.

I'm going to say this again, I do not dislike SS. I think they have some fantastic looking statues (Deadpool PF New one, Bane, MOTU, CotD...if SS can ever get their QC correct...how much anyone want to bet me that Malevestros the Court Jester will have issues?), they clearly have some of the best and most skilled artists working with them (Gore Group, Will Harbottle, Mark Newman, et. al.), and they have a wealth of licenses to play around with....BUT with all that said, cost has increased on SS statues while quality of cast and materials has decreased, poses by and large are too simple and safe with too many Captain Morgan one leg up poses, or stepping down the stairs pose, QC is let's all be honest, hit and miss. When it's great, SS is top notch. When it's shoddy (and it happens often), SS is disappointing.

Personally, I do tire of hearing the XM vs. SS comparisons. Collect what you like, and like what you collect. I know XM is sick of hearing the SS vs. XM talk. Hell, they like SS too. They have products from other companies they buy and own...so I don't know where all this vitriol for XM is coming from. At the end of the day, this is all just art and some like some art pieces while others do not. For me, I do not like this Venom. I prefer the hulking more menacing smoother looking XM Venom. But no one is wrong for liking whatever you like. I just don't like misinformation, or skewed information because of experiences with 1 person.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #728
SONICobra
Batman

SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #729
Sandman585
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Well, so you are going off 1 individual? I don't pay near as much for my statues. Darkness will obviously be costly...as well as Ghost Rider, but these puppies are weighing in at a good 40 - 45lbs and 47 - 52 lbs. The majority of statues after shipping run around $900. Don't get me wrong, it's still expensive, but I feel much better knowing my Venom won't tilt over and go splat, have paint chips or mishaps, be engineered all funky (COTD statues anyone?), have tons of extras and a high quality print to boot, oh not to mention the best packaging in the industry.

Also, size doesn't mean a great quality product. Fortuantely, for Prime 1 their product in terms of QC is top notch. The AD is as lame as a ducks quackin ass. Some of the most simple and boring poses in the market. There is no agressive progression on pushing this industry forward IMO from Prime 1 on a pose standpoint. I do love their translucent resin paint ups and what not. Here's the other thing, for some strange reason both Prime 1 and SS (a match made in heaven IMO) just for some reason love to do rehashed characters...and I mean obnoxiously so! Meanwhile, XM has top notch QC, agressive forward thinking poses to push the medium forward while also having a few select museum poses, AND most importantly, tackle characters SS has never done in 15 years. OH and somehow, they still manage to continue to make different takes on the same character (Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man) instead of just repaints (whoopdeedoo).

The bottom line is, those who are so defensive and gung ho with SS is mainly due to the fact they are harder to obtain, shipping is absorbent (welcome to others pain arrogant US buzzards), so they SETTLE for what they can get. And in all honesty, that's not a bad thing, but from someone who has owned product from all companies just about at one point or another (except Prime 1...waiting to see how GI Joe comes out) no company I have ever bought product from have the highest consistent quality of product from box to the highest point of the statue and all the other goodies that come with it like XM. NOT ONE COMPANY.

Getting back to this Venom, obviously, the sculpt in and of itself is of decency, as I don't have the sculpting skill to come remotely close to it, but the style (bumpy, elephantitis like, super duper varicose vein look is UGLY TO ME (I stress ME). Secondly, the pose is not befitting of Venom (just like Black Canary). The base is...meh at best...but I guess it goes in step with the Spiderman statue so it's not all bad. As to which Venom I prefer in regards to SS Comiquette or this new SS Venom PF....hmmm...I'd guess I'd lean towards this new Venom because at least I know what the hell Venom is doing. The Comiquette is one of those statues like ROGUE PF where you look at the pose and think what the hell are they doing? Rogue the almighty airhead looking up at the clouds for what? Venom looking like he is doing a Cameo Rigor Mortis dance off. I like statues that make sense. So yeah, at least this new Venom makes sense as to what he is doing, except, I don't see him doing a Cesar from Planet of the Apes maneuver like what he is doing here.

I'm going to say this again, I do not dislike SS. I think they have some fantastic looking statues (Deadpool PF New one, Bane, MOTU, CotD...if SS can ever get their QC correct...how much anyone want to bet me that Malevestros the Court Jester will have issues?), they clearly have some of the best and most skilled artists working with them (Gore Group, Will Harbottle, Mark Newman, et. al.), and they have a wealth of licenses to play around with....BUT with all that said, cost has increased on SS statues while quality of cast and materials has decreased, poses by and large are too simple and safe with too many Captain Morgan one leg up poses, or stepping down the stairs pose, QC is let's all be honest, hit and miss. When it's great, SS is top notch. When it's shoddy (and it happens often), SS is disappointing.

Personally, I do tire of hearing the XM vs. SS comparisons. Collect what you like, and like what you collect. I know XM is sick of hearing the SS vs. XM talk. Hell, they like SS too. They have products from other companies they buy and own...so I don't know where all this vitriol for XM is coming from. At the end of the day, this is all just art and some like some art pieces while others do not. For me, I do not like this Venom. I prefer the hulking more menacing smoother looking XM Venom. But no one is wrong for liking whatever you like. I just don't like misinformation, or skewed information because of experiences with 1 person.

Sandman585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #730
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Man, why do you guys struggle so hard with subjectivity vs objectivity? Putting aside how condescending you're being, your statement in bold isn't a statement of fact.

Quality and value have some objective elements in the real world, but in this fantasy land of a hobby where we're talking luxury and vanity items with no actual intrinsic, utilitarian value or purpose, these are SUBJECTIVE elements. SUB-JEC-TIVE.

What's happening here is that people on both sides of these silly debates are PROJECTING their tastes, their estimates of value, their financial circumstances, and their personal, SUBJECTIVE estimations on what things are worth onto everyone else to make themselves feel good about their collections, the money they're spending, and their self-worth. It's transparent as all hell, and it's draining to read.

The fact that EITHER SIDE feels the need to bog down these threads, writing novels about why what they chose is the DEFINITIVE, OMG GRAIL, GOAT is a testament to INSECURITY, not passion, reason, or interesting discussion.

Yeesh.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote