Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #71
Royd
Producer
Producer

Great....wait..what...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink90210 View Post
Don't worry, Royd, we have you covered, we're planning a "Shanna! Heavily Important Topic" appreciation show with you as a guest soon.
(hm, that doesn't abbreviate very well...)
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #72
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

That reminds me, Royd do you have any info yet on the Jim Cheung sketch situation?

Do you know if he will be taking pre cons or what his prices will be?
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:02 AM   #73
Royd
Producer
Producer

Back in early December, I did ask Jim whether he was interested in taking on any pre-show requests which I would be happy to help arrange for him.

However, he replied that while he'd received some enquiries from Aussie fans about pre-show pieces, he wasn't planning on them until nearer the time. he said he would let me know closer to the shows if he could take such requests on and that he didn't want to commit to anything as it would depend on his schedule.

Sorry I don't have better news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
That reminds me, Royd do you have any info yet on the Jim Cheung sketch situation?

Do you know if he will be taking pre cons or what his prices will be?
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #74
dfens91
Frackin!

Don't want to make a big issue but even though you may have purchased a VIP ticket to get in early to get in line for a commission it doesn't help when other people with so-called "trade passes" beat you to it. I guess if it means so much to them 'good luck, your a hero' but is it fair for fans waiting 2 or more hours outside who is just as keen without any trade contacts and who paid extra to wait an additional couple of hours for a commission so the 'trade passes' get their commissions first. Where's the fair game. I love collecting commission but i know at the end of the day its a piece of paper with ink on it.
dfens91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #75
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens91 View Post
Don't want to make a big issue but even though you may have purchased a VIP ticket to get in early to get in line for a commission it doesn't help when other people with so-called "trade passes" beat you to it. I guess if it means so much to them 'good luck, your a hero' but is it fair for fans waiting 2 or more hours outside who is just as keen without any trade contacts and who paid extra to wait an additional couple of hours for a commission so the 'trade passes' get their commissions first. Where's the fair game. I love collecting commission but i know at the end of the day its a piece of paper with ink on it.
I can't say that I've ever encountered anything like that at any of the Aussie cons that I've been to (although to be fair I have never been to a Sydney con before). And with Supanova, Royd has always been up front in stating that other fans should take precedence over himself.

About the only time I can think of something similar occurring was when a particular artist wasn't doing sketches for the general public, but was later on being seen sketching something for one of the organisers as a thank you. But that's a bit of a different situation.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #76
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens91 View Post
Interesting Hung.... I've only done the one Sydney Supanova (last year) and I was a VIP pass holder also, and thankfully I was lucky enough not to experience what you've described. I've been a top tier VIP holder at other Nova cons, (Brisbane most recently, where I was a Game of Thrones VIP) and was again fortunate enough not to be "trumped" by exhibitors. It's a shame you've had this bad experience but as Wrothy said, I know Royd always does his utmost to ensure us collectors are treated fairly.

I do remember at Armageddon 2013 an exhibitor (quite arrogantly IMO) cut a LONG line for Brent Anderson and addressed everyone waiting in line saying "it's ok I'm an exhibitor I can do this" which I thought was despicable, but that's the only time I've known of it happening here in Oz that I can recall.

I know in the US it's sadly pretty much common practice
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #77
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Interesting Hung.... I've only done the one Sydney Supanova (last year) and I was a VIP pass holder also, and thankfully I was lucky enough not to experience what you've described. I've been a top tier VIP holder at other Nova cons, (Brisbane most recently, where I was a Game of Thrones VIP) and was again fortunate enough not to be "trumped" by exhibitors. It's a shame you've had this bad experience but as Wrothy said, I know Royd always does his utmost to ensure us collectors are treated fairly.

I do remember at Armageddon 2013 an exhibitor (quite arrogantly IMO) cut a LONG line for Brent Anderson and addressed everyone waiting in line saying "it's ok I'm an exhibitor I can do this" which I thought was despicable, but that's the only time I've known of it happening here in Oz that I can recall.

I know in the US it's sadly pretty much common practice
Having been to the US twice for cons, I can say that what we experience in Australia is nothing compared to the clandestine world of art collecting there (granted, they have a bigger pool of artists that people can choose from). I've been on the receiving end of a VIP-pass-getting-trumped-by-Exhibitors (and in fact, so has Rocket in the US), it's definately not fun and can make you question the fairness of everything.
Who was this Exhibitor at Armageddon 2013? That's pretty abominable right there. I tell ya, Armageddon needs to pull itself together.
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #78
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink90210 View Post
Having been to the US twice for cons, I can say that what we experience in Australia is nothing compared to the clandestine world of art collecting there (granted, they have a bigger pool of artists that people can choose from). I've been on the receiving end of a VIP-pass-getting-trumped-by-Exhibitors (and in fact, so has Rocket in the US), it's definately not fun and can make you question the fairness of everything.
Who was this Exhibitor at Armageddon 2013? That's pretty abominable right there. I tell ya, Armageddon needs to pull itself together.
I remember that well mate, we both looked at each other in utter shock and despair. I think Tim Sale has it perfected in refusing to take any requests until the doors have opened to the public.

Don't quote me, but I believe it was one of the Kings Comics staff members? I know he requested a Green Lantern for the amateur detectives out there
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #79
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I believe Adam Hughes also had a policy of not taking requests until 10min in to the con. Hopefully in Australia he'll do the same...

Ok so next con, we're on the lookout for possibly a King's Comics staff member who like Green Lantern. If spotted, please report him to Royd so he can dish out some SF-justice.
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #80
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post
I can't say that I've ever encountered anything like that at any of the Aussie cons that I've been to (although to be fair I have never been to a Sydney con before). And with Supanova, Royd has always been up front in stating that other fans should take precedence over himself.

About the only time I can think of something similar occurring was when a particular artist wasn't doing sketches for the general public, but was later on being seen sketching something for one of the organisers as a thank you. But that's a bit of a different situation.
I had that problem with Lienil at Adelaide Nova. Now dont get me wrong, he was the nicest guy and I could see how honestly bad he felt saying no, but Lienil said no to adding a small headshot to my Batman jam because he didn't have time cause the con owner wanted sketches for himself and some friends (at least that's what I was told). Lienil mentioned he did these commissions for free, so basically a paying fan missed out so organisers could get multiple freebies.

I'm not sure if this was the person you were referring to Wrothy.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote