Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:52 AM   #71
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Both parties have conducted themselves with class and dignity from everything I have seen.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #72
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Both parties have conducted themselves with class and dignity from everything I have seen.
I think you could have handled it better.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:59 AM   #73
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Let's just say you will be happy with what you will soon see. No worries!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
You are hilarious bro. If only you knew.....
Didn't you post these same sort of vague comments in the Hard Hero section? Must be nice to get all that insider information.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:18 AM   #74
isDatUcollector
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Didn't you post these same sort of vague comments in the Hard Hero section? Must be nice to get all that insider information.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:50 AM   #75
Hellsbells51
Nightwing

Sad to hear. I wish the best for both parties. When I first heard Erick was joining the (up and coming) XM Studios crew I thought it was a dream team in the making...I guess this is what happens when you have too much talent and not enough resin.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #76
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
Might have been part of the reason. But Jerry did make a post on FB saying how annoyed and upset he was with artists that couldn't do work right the first time and that he had to spend his time fixing the majority of what was submitted, while the artist he's paying took all the credit publicly. A few days after that post John posted that he left PCS.

Don't think that was a coincidence.

Chris
Clearly and PCS was very different. Jerry wanted all the sculptors in house, especially as they're going more traditional and they moved their offices to a new state. He offered to clearly to move but he has to take care of his father so he was unable too.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:57 AM   #77
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I am going to say that I think one of my BIGGEST disappointments with hearing this news is simply thinking about all of the pieces that could have been made by Erick over the past year and beyond and that only 1, Thor, made it out of the pipeline.

I, like many others, was drooling over the thought of a 1/4 Erick Sosa Avengers line. Hell, just the thought of a 1/4 modern raging Hulk and a dynamic 1/4 swinging Spiderman (which has now been done as a private commission and which is amazing) had me on the edge of my seat for MONTHS waiting for a reveal. However, it never came, and while XM has made several of those character already The latter two would have been INSTANT orders for me. The fact that XM never pulled the trigger and got those pieces made in 1/4 by Erick will always make me sad for what could have been. So much potential.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #78
MagnumOpus
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I was a very fanboy of XM but not anymore. Something is going wrong with them that I couldn't explain it. To me, their phoenix portraits are very bad! Also She-Hulk's and unmasked portrait of Daredevil are bad in terms of painting not sculpt! Spider-Man diorama concept does not have an appeal to me. And Ghost Rider concept is very expected, nothing new. I am sure he will look awesome when we see the final product but XM had a feeling on me about giving their consumers to some concepts which have never been done before! From that point Ghost Rider is a big let down for me also. Lastly they lost an outstanding artist! After hearing Prime 1's 1/3 Arkham Batman price, I begin to think XM is over-priced! Yes, their product's QC are top-notch but 800$ without shipping is some serious money for a 1/4 statue. I payed 1000$ for their Wolverine without custom fee and I guess this is madness)) Maybe I need to get some help) Anyway Erick's talent is out of this world and he will continue to give us awesome pieces but maybe I got excited early for XM's success! They rise where Sideshow's QC is sinking! If XM couldn't solve the portrait problem, their Star Wars line could not be as successful as Marvel!
Old 06-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #79
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
The end is near...
How? People keep moaning about how XM makes BILLIONS of dollahs with their sellouts.
Ah right, average collector doesn't know s--t about costs involved in the manifacture of these statue, that's why

Seriously though... XM is selling out all their pieces in a heartbeat. They make enough to keep the factories well paid and surely they're not losing money on the things that jack the price for us (high shipping, customs). They just acquired the Star Wars license.
Let's be serious.

Regarding the matter, a few points that were already brought up.
XM was doing great before Erick worked with them, so it's not like all of a sudden they'll become a bunch of useless monkeys. Same way Erick has made his name on himself and doesn't need XM, so it's not like his life is over either.
My personal opinion is that, as an artist, Sosa knows his thing but he's also very far from the top sculptors in the game. I've seen many of his works and none of them really wowed me, I think he tries too much to be "balanced" in his style and his anatomies often have me scratching my head.
His Spidey(s) pales in comparison to Canale's Spidey(s), his Hulk(s) pales in comparison to McDevitt's raging Hulk, his Wolverine pales in comparison to XM's or Resinworx's. Thor is one of the XM statues that left me most unimpressed. If I look at the most impressive XM pieces, I think of Magneto, Black Bolt, Thanos, Dr Strange, Cable. None of them had Sosa's involvement, as far as I know. I'll go as far to say that if Magneto came out with that huge chinned Jim Lee head I would have probably not even considered to buy it.

This is not to bash him, just my straight unbiased opinion since I have no interest favoring an artist over another. But to me the Pereira brothers are probably the best young talents out therem bar none. They've done some of the most impressive sculpts ever. Mufizal is another guy who surely knows his s--t for good and someone to keep an eye on imho.
This doesn't take away from Sosa. He's young (I think, well, that's my impression at least), I like that he interacts a lot with people and overall he always seemed to me as a reliable person, very down to Earth and willing to improve. I just think he needs to focus more and find his own unique style to get the best out of his sculpts.
But he's surely one of the people I most respect (and trust) in this industry, and that's not something I say very lightly.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #80
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumOpus View Post
I was a very fanboy of XM but not anymore. Something is going wrong with them that I couldn't explain it. To me, their phoenix portraits are very bad! Also She-Hulk's and unmasked portrait of Daredevil are bad in terms of painting not sculpt! Spider-Man diorama concept does not have an appeal to me. And Ghost Rider concept is very expected, nothing new. I am sure he will look awesome when we see the final product but XM had a feeling on me about giving their consumers to some concepts which have never been done before! From that point Ghost Rider is a big let down for me also. Lastly they lost an outstanding artist! After hearing Prime 1's 1/3 Arkham Batman price, I begin to think XM is over-priced! Yes, their product's QC are top-notch but 800$ without shipping is some serious money for a 1/4 statue. I payed 1000$ for their Wolverine without custom fee and I guess this is madness)) Maybe I need to get some help) Anyway Erick's talent is out of this world and he will continue to give us awesome pieces but maybe I got excited early for XM's success! They rise where Sideshow's QC is sinking! If XM couldn't solve the portrait problem, their Star Wars line could not be as successful as Marvel!
Don't take it personally... but I think you're WAY too quick to jump to conclusions, more often than not.
PCS 1:3 pieces are 600$, so I guess that this makes even Prime1 overpriced? You're paying 1000$ for an XM piece, but let me know how much you will pay for that Prime1 Batman. The regular retails at nearly 1200€ (I suppose you're from Europe, more or less), the Exclusive will cost you some more.
I'm paying 650€ for my XM Wolverine. No way I'd be able to get the Prime1 Batman at the same reasonable price, even by burning reward points and ordering from Sideshow. Same way, a Lobo Ex would cost me over 700€. With Dawg, make that 850€. More than what I've paid for ANY XM piece so far.
I think it's just a matter of what a person does to obtan what he wants, when he's not in his comfort zone.
Closed Thread