Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #71
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
If it's a matter of increasing ES to allow SS to distribute in the US, then it is to XM's benefit if they do exactly that. The only question is whether or not increasing production levels has a negative impact on QC. otherwise what's the downside to XM's business model if they increase ES by 50% and allocate it to SS? Based on the demand for their pieces they won't have any trouble selling every single piece IMO
Another thing to consider is XM will have to share any profit with Sideshow from the sales of XM pieces on their site. XM may not want to go down that road.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #72
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
If it's a matter of increasing ES to allow SS to distribute in the US, then it is to XM's benefit if they do exactly that. The only question is whether or not increasing production levels has a negative impact on QC. otherwise what's the downside to XM's business model if they increase ES by 50% and allocate it to SS? Based on the demand for their pieces they won't have any trouble selling every single piece IMO
Terrible idea. Collectibility does mean something to some people. Just because someone can make more of something doesn't mean they should. Can't you see the corellation between high ES from SS and inconsistent QC and loooonnnggg sell out times? Haven't you seen how long their statues last and sit in their warehouse?

Don't make XM SS please. Let XM be XM and SS be SS.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:50 PM   #73
haljordan99
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Terrible idea. Collectibility does mean something to some people. Just because someone can make more of something doesn't mean they should. Can't you see the corellation between high ES from SS and inconsistent QC and loooonnnggg sell out times? Haven't you seen how long their statues last and sit in their warehouse?

As much as I wish it was easier to get XM products in the USA, I agree with you. I mean is it really a "collectible" when Sideshow makes 7,500 Batman PFs that have been available to purchase for 4 years now? I like that XM actually sets low ES and sticks to them (even if it does mean I can only afford a couple XM statues). I hope XM doesn't start making variants of the same statues either.
haljordan99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #74
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by toe View Post
XM doesn't need Sideshow. They sell out without their help. Just keep doing what you guys are doing XM.
Quote:

no one is suggesting that they become like SS. But there is a lot of room for expansion based on the insane demand for XM's products on the secondary market.

XM right now is like Ferrari without the ability to directly sell in the largest market (namely the US). IMO they will make more money as a business if they strike a deal with SS to distribute in the US, then modestly increase both their production numbers and retail price to better reflect real market demand.

Bottom line is when a company has their merchandise regularly selling at 50%-100%+ above retail on the secondary market, they are leaving way too much money on the table. If they balance supply and price appropriately they can still command that "exclusivity" collectors crave, but harvest much of the excess into their own bottom line. If they do this right they can still leave a ~20%-25% premium for the secondary market which will satiate collectors (and flippers LOL!!).

The key to all this is that they can never screw up the QC like Iron Studios recently did with their Spiderman Diorama. One slip up like that and it could undermine the brand equity they currently command.

if XM is reading this, send me a PM. I'm happy to do a little management consulting for you on my down time LOL!!!
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #75
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

From their very first piece the XM mantra was that it's about their vision and art for the collectible and not how much money they can make from each piece. Their main goal as collectors themselves was to make a premium collectible for collectors to enjoy. Their base principle was to not make any ES over 999 to ensure the pieces collectability. I don't think they are looking to make as much $$$$ as possible for any piece with an ES increase. The may compensate for the $$$ by making a lot of characters that have not gotten much attention from other companies. It looks like their business model is working just fine to me.
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #76
Mamba
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

There are just too many statues in the market right now. Unfortunately many people did impulse buying including me sometimes. Once they realize they don't have enough money or space they will have to sell the ones that they like the least, especially when they see plenty of better statues than what they preordered/have are coming. Most statues are not worth it as a profit maker so we need to be very wise and selective. If we all do that I think statue makers not just xm will have to reduce the ES. Btw I have seen lots of sale for pcs too and the price is keep getting lower.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #77
Mamba
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Other than Batman, Ghostrider, Cable and Venom, any other XM statues from STGCC that you guys think will have a potential to be sold more or significantly more than retail in the future? I can't think any others beside those 4.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #78
Gollum
The Herculoids

Quote:
Im trying to get all 1/4 Comic XM statues. Now granted, I have sold my Magneto, Captain America, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine and maybe soon Black Widow. All went to great statue owners. I had to sell Mags especially because I was in the process of moving and needed the funds for security deposit and what not.

Also, I expect XM to make another Magneto down the line, definitely another Captain America (action pose), and Warbird. Obviously, I sold Wolverine because I knew about the new Wolvies coming out and I hate the blue and yellow pansy costume (XM's was phenomenal thogh).

But so far, I have all XM statues on PO up to and including Boba Fett. Sandman, Mysterio, and Ghost Rider should be starting to ship soon. Sandman is next for me. Oh!!! I'm passing on Elektra...just not a fan of that pose at all! I still don't know what the hell she is doing?? Lambada? Cha cha cha? Robocop? Beats me.
Thanks Loricstone for your great answer and for letting me know your future plans and PO's

Yeah I agree with you the only way to get them all is to sell the ones that are being updated like Captain America and Wolverine and keep the real gems like Phoenix. It's almost impossible to have them all unless you live in a mansion.

I'm surprised Elektra hasn't been released yet maybe there re-doing the portrait because there is a massive difference between last years female head portraits and this years. Catwoman, Lady Sif, She Thor, Magdalena, Mary Jane, Witch Blade and the massively improved She-Hulk. Elektra's portrait looks very dated now.

It's going to be a very exciting year and XM are making it almost impossible to pass on a statue

Sandman is a monster a very impressive statue you won't be disappointed with him I've never had so much fun unboxing a statue
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #79
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
Other than Batman, Ghostrider, Cable and Venom, any other XM statues from STGCC that you guys think will have a potential to be sold more or significantly more than retail in the future? I can't think any others beside those 4.
If it's based on the awesomeness of the piece, I would say Darkness. Unfortunately, he's not a very well known character.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #80
Gollum
The Herculoids

Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote