First thought when I saw the one on the left... Cameron Diaz:

Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #822
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaguy705 View Post
It just shocks me how this makes it through the approval process.

How many sets of eyes does this have to go through and yet no one at SS says, "hmmmm. Wait a minute here... This just doesn't look good."
If they had 20 to 30 statueforum members reviewing potential statues they would never get anything approved.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #823
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

The wind direction is all over the place on this sculpt, you have Supergirls hair and the cape on her cat blowing upward like they are standing over a wind tunnel, but her cape and skirt remain downward. Her skirt and cape should be blowing up like Marilyn Monroe standing over the subway vent.

majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #824
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
If they had 20 to 30 statueforum members reviewing potential statues they would never get anything approved.
Not if they picked the appropriate members. There are some really talented people in these threads.

And even more who are savvy collectors who know what looks good.

What's mind boggling is that the pros at SS get thing so glaringly wrong at times.

A backwards salute? C'mon. It doesn't take 30 SF members to recognize that mistake.

And I don't think replacing it with an awkward 'flicking the side of my head' hand is a great improvement.

Just my two cents
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #825
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic1 View Post
The wind direction is all over the place on this sculpt, you have Supergirls hair and the cape on her cat blowing upward like they are standing over a wind tunnel, but her cape and skirt remain downward. Her skirt and cape should be blowing up like Marilyn Monroe standing over the subway vent.

One should account for that but there is no logic to ssc art direction. Let's just hope there is a switch out head for this.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #826
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Hence why Sideshow doesn't use Statue Forum members in regards to making design decisions. That being said, the professionals in the hobby, or those people Sideshow does use to make such decisions, should be able to come to some sort of consensus that ultimately equates to a quality statue. Obviously not everyone is going to agree and concessions need to be made here and there when your working with a bunch of opinions, but again at the end of the day, they should be able to come together and make compromises that ultimately produce a quality statue and that just hasn't been what has unfolded with this piece.

And while Sideshow would be foolish to use Statueforum members to make such decisions, that doesn't mean that many of Statueforum's member comments are not worthwhile, insightful, or helpful. Supergirl is perfect example. When you have this percentage of people giving negative feedback....well, Sideshow would be foolish not to take that feedback very seriously. I know if I was in change of Sideshow and I saw a piece getting as much negative feedback as Supergirl has gotten, I would send it back to the drawing board and actually use user comments as a basis for what changes need to be made.

Personally, my biggest advice would be to redo the face to make it look a good 10 years younger and use a hairstyle like this as opposed to the crazy hairstyle that is currently in place:

I personally love the hair in this picture and think it would be perfect for this statue. Again its a hair down style but it does have some movement in the front/bangs to give it some wind/movement effect that would really match nicely with the skirt and overall style of the piece. IMO, Even the arms/hands placement in this picture is vastly superior to the statue version.

Basically, if Sideshow were to go back to the drawing board with the face/hair/arms/hands and alter the face to make her cuter and roughy 10 years younger looking and change the arms/hand pose, this really could be a beautiful statue.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #827
decoyoctopus10
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I don't usually bash statues, but that face is really really unappealing. It's a shame because neck down the piece is perfect. Hopefully there are different portraits for a COH.
decoyoctopus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #828
chunkster702
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
When you have this percentage of people giving negative feedback....well, Sideshow would be foolish not to take that feedback very seriously. I know if I was in change of Sideshow and I saw a piece getting as much negative feedback as Supergirl has gotten, I would send it back to the drawing board and actually use user comments as a basis for what changes need to be made.

Agreed!

THAT Supergirl is HOT.

Love it if the piece looked like her!
chunkster702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #829
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkster702 View Post
Agreed!

THAT Supergirl is HOT.

Love it if the piece looked like her!
First thing I thought when I saw it was Brittany spears.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #830
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

while the pic might look like Brittany Spears it looks a whole heck of a lot better than what Sideshow is showing. This is one of those cases where the statue has been a miss and minor tinkering isn't going to fix it.The portrait doesn't suit the character, which should read as a 17-19 year old. The entire left arm should have been redone as opposed to a hand swap. I will still pick it up and hope that portrait #2 is much better. Overall Sideshow has done a great job with the DC 1:4 line, but this is a disappointment thus far.

The other thing is when companies stop listening to customer feedback is when customers start looking elsewhere. Right now SS has 1:4 DC locked up, but that won't last forever.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote