Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC / McFarlane

Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #81
isculpt
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
DCD does it's own thing and always has. DCD was the first to produce the confrontation style dios and their Batman Vs. Croc is yet to be surpassed.

The covergirls line is on par sculpt and quality wise with BD. Granted they are 15-20% smaller but their price is less than half of that of a BD museum pose. The DCU Online line seems to be following this trend and has already hinted at rarely and never before sculpted pieces being done.

They have produced bookends, props and the new Dynamics line which no one else has done. Are their choices always good? Absolutely not, but I don't think that they need to always follow what their competitors are doing. DCD could definitely beef up their offerings and drop the MSRP on a few pieces. There is a new regime in place at DCD and let's see where they take us.
They were? I thought sideshow was?
isculpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #82
tripletn@mac.co
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman Professor View Post
Probably not past the big 7 and some iconic villians.

If you want to dwarf all other collectibles, go LIFE-SIZE.

Do you own a store or just have an amazing batcave in your home? If that's your home I'd pay money for a tour of your collection of Bat stuff.
tripletn@mac.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:57 AM   #83
tripletn@mac.co
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gto View Post
Again, I'm not referring to the overall quality. I think both Marvel and DC are about the samein that regard. They have good ones and they have bad ones. I am referring to the overall comparative size of the offerings and , in that regard, Marvel is severely eclipsing DC.
I'm really just a Batman statue/bust collector, whether its by DC Direct or private commissions, or 'garage kits' from the past, etc. So for me, it's that singular 'universe'. I would collect Star Wars if I had money and space, but... If I had to label myself, I'm more of a DC guy. That being said I do have a passing interest in many of the Marvel characters. Recently I went into a local comic shop here in L.A., and saw in person a gigantic Hulk statue that I'm assuming is 1/4 scale. I've seen many of the Sideshow Marvel statues as well. These are all amazing!! I do collect the Batman Black and White line of statues as well as most of the hard to find Batmans from the past for DC. I love them as well. However, Marvel currently has more product out there that is very well done, and in several different scales. Currently I'd have to say, they are more on top of their game than DC as far as experimenting with different scales, and characters and unfortunately a lot of times the quality (however, I don't know what's wrong with the people who criticize the Batman 1/4 Scale Museum statue. I't's beautiful, and you know it.). That's not to say that DC hasn't hit several home runs such as with the Batman vs. Croc statue, and the covergirls line ( which I'm not collecting). I would love it if DC gave out licenses to other companies like ARH and Sideshow, but regardless, I'm a Batman guy, and there are many, even 'non-DC direct' Batman's out there to collect, and pursue.
DC has many incredible sculptors in their corner (Villafane, Bergholts, etc.). I just wish that perhaps they could "loosen the reigns" a little and allow the sculptors to have a stronger say or presence in the product. Alterton made a line of statues that will never see light of day. They were meant to inspire DC to do a line of Bat Character statues, and they looked amazing. I hope I'm not wrong in this, but if I am I apologize. I did see a prototype for a Batman vs. Azbats on his section of this site. Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling. I could go on.
tripletn@mac.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #84
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletn@mac.co View Post
I'm really just a Batman statue/bust collector, whether its by DC Direct or private commissions, or 'garage kits' from the past, etc. So for me, it's that singular 'universe'. I would collect Star Wars if I had money and space, but... If I had to label myself, I'm more of a DC guy. That being said I do have a passing interest in many of the Marvel characters. Recently I went into a local comic shop here in L.A., and saw in person a gigantic Hulk statue that I'm assuming is 1/4 scale. I've seen many of the Sideshow Marvel statues as well. These are all amazing!! I do collect the Batman Black and White line of statues as well as most of the hard to find Batmans from the past for DC. I love them as well. However, Marvel currently has more product out there that is very well done, and in several different scales. Currently I'd have to say, they are more on top of their game than DC as far as experimenting with different scales, and characters and unfortunately a lot of times the quality (however, I don't know what's wrong with the people who criticize the Batman 1/4 Scale Museum statue. I't's beautiful, and you know it.). That's not to say that DC hasn't hit several home runs such as with the Batman vs. Croc statue, and the covergirls line ( which I'm not collecting). I would love it if DC gave out licenses to other companies like ARH and Sideshow, but regardless, I'm a Batman guy, and there are many, even 'non-DC direct' Batman's out there to collect, and pursue.
DC has many incredible sculptors in their corner (Villafane, Bergholts, etc.). I just wish that perhaps they could "loosen the reigns" a little and allow the sculptors to have a stronger say or presence in the product. Alterton made a line of statues that will never see light of day. They were meant to inspire DC to do a line of Bat Character statues, and they looked amazing. I hope I'm not wrong in this, but if I am I apologize. I did see a prototype for a Batman vs. Azbats on his section of this site. Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling. I could go on.
that's the dream!
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #85
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

To me the problem isn't that DC Direct makes a lot of small scale pieces, as a lot of those pieces are actually pretty good, and some are downright great. No, the problem is that DC Direct doesn't offer enough variety to their target markets. They need to offer a wider range of scales, a wider range of character choices, and a wider range of price points, so that there is 'something for everyone' across the demographics of DC fans and collectors. They need to take some risks and try to do more than just retread familiar ground.

I'd never ask nor expect them to stop making small scale pieces like the Batman black and whites and the mini statues and busts, because those lines sell well, have many fans (including me), are usually well realised more often than not, and as such they serve a certain section of fandom and collectors quite well. Instead what I'd like to see is DC Direct taking a leaf out of Sideshow's book in the idea of offering a greater variety of product types and scales, so that they can truly meet cross market demand, better serve their in-house sculpting and design talent, as well as their library of classic characters, and give consumers and fans greater choice as a result, reeling back in many dc fans and collectors that are out there, just waiting for something that better suits their collecting tastes and habits. And until DC Direct does branch out a bit further they will continue to miss out on a huge untapped market that is out there, just waiting for some DC pieces that fit into their collecting ideals...

My opinion anyhow.
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #86
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

It is odd that they don't ever to 1/6 or 1/5 scale stuff beyond these few "movie" statues (none of which are that great, IMO).

For some reason, they seem to have some criteria where they have to be able to sell a ton of whatever they put into production. You just won't ever see a 300 ES from DCD. Although, I can't see one well-designed 1/6 scale Batman statue with an MSRP of $200-$250 not selling more than every single one of their Batman Family dio components combined.

Sometimes I am amazed by what they do put out (Superman Family dio, that horrific upcoming Superman Vs. Brainiac thing) given all of their other options...
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #87
06gto
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

No, I'm not criticizing what they do make just what they don't make (enough of). Again, I cite my example of going into th ecomic shop and approaching the statue display are where you see the right side dominated by 2-3 foot statues and the left side averaging less than half of that, and the contrast is increasing weekly..
06gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #88
A Cimmerian
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer! View Post
To me the problem isn't that DC Direct makes a lot of small scale pieces, as a lot of those pieces are actually pretty good, and some are downright great. No, the problem is that DC Direct doesn't offer enough variety to their target markets. They need to offer a wider range of scales, a wider range of character choices, and a wider range of price points, so that there is 'something for everyone' across the demographics of DC fans and collectors. They need to take some risks and try to do more than just retread familiar ground.

I'd never ask nor expect them to stop making small scale pieces like the Batman black and whites and the mini statues and busts, because those lines sell well, have many fans (including me), are usually well realised more often than not, and as such they serve a certain section of fandom and collectors quite well. Instead what I'd like to see is DC Direct taking a leaf out of Sideshow's book in the idea of offering a greater variety of product types and scales, so that they can truly meet cross market demand, better serve their in-house sculpting and design talent, as well as their library of classic characters, and give consumers and fans greater choice as a result, reeling back in many dc fans and collectors that are out there, just waiting for something that better suits their collecting tastes and habits. And until DC Direct does branch out a bit further they will continue to miss out on a huge untapped market that is out there, just waiting for some DC pieces that fit into their collecting ideals...

My opinion anyhow.
I agree.
A Cimmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #89
Zorglub
A day without sunshine is like... night.

DCD should make Bowen size statues, that way they would sell a bunch of statues to the collectors who started their collection with Bowen, and who would love to have statues of the DCD characters in the same scale.
Zorglub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #90
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

it is not really DC vs Marvel, it is DCD vs the rest of statue companies. DCD refuses to let other companies have licenses to make their heroes/villains. But you can tell differences just by this forum and see how many people are talking DC and how many new updates compared to SS and Bowen sections.
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote