Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #81
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I don't say global warming is false. Yes earth has warmed. But it is not that simple, it is a massively complex equation extremely difficult to quantify and build an accurate model to predict with. I seriously doubt there will ever be an accurate model of earth climate that can predict hundreds of years into the future. There's too many curves nature and the cosmos will throw us.

I don't say CO2 is not greenhouse gas we shouldn't be concerned about, just not THE biggest concern we should have. There are other far more critical environmental concerns we should be focusing on.

Exaggerations of global warming are causing unnecessary fears and poor policy decisions.

In fact some of the famous faces that press for drastic measures have admitted that exaggerations are key to get what they want policy wise.
That ain't science folks.

You have to keep some of the doomcasting in perspective.....

Predictions made on the occasion of Earth Day 1970.

“We have about five more years at the outside to do something.”
• Kenneth Watt, ecologist

“Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.”
• George Wald, Harvard Biologist

“We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation.”
• Barry Commoner, Washington University biologist

“Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction.”
• New York Times editorial, the day after the first Earth Day

“Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make. The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”
• Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University biologist

“By…[1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.”

“It is already too late to avoid mass starvation.”
• Denis Hayes, chief organizer for Earth Day

“Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.”
• Peter Gunter, professor, North Texas State University

“Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”
• Life Magazine, January 1970

“At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.”
• Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

“Air pollution…is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone.”

“We are prospecting for the very last of our resources and using up the nonrenewable things many times faster than we are finding new ones.”
• Martin Litton, Sierra Club director

“By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.’”

“Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.”
• Sen. Gaylord Nelson

“The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #82
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by polystoned View Post
Conservatives hate wikipedia because their ideological biases cannot survive peer review. This is why they had to start their own "conservapedia" filled with delusional nonsense. This is also why they have to lie, cheat, and even steal elections to accomplish anything politically--except sex scandals.
We seemed to have strayed off topic again...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:39 AM   #83
polystoned
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

What are we dumping into the Gulf to ‘fix’ the oil spill?
"On Thursday alone, ProPublica reports, emergency workers dropped 100,000 gallons of the stuff into the Gulf."

polystoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 AM   #84
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by polystoned View Post
What are we dumping into the Gulf to ‘fix’ the oil spill?
"On Thursday alone, ProPublica reports, emergency workers dropped 100,000 gallons of the stuff into the Gulf."

Chemtrails.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #85
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Hey I hope for all of you naysayers that global warming is false. I don't have kids and I have elevated cholesterol and I have a heart attack planned at 57. So as far as I'm concerned burn baby burn...

F the world they all got it coming.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #86
dr_teng

Here's a new satellite photo of the spill.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #87
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I find it interesting they have to construct the domes to cap the wells.
These should be preconstructed and standardized for quick deployment. What troubles me is that it is not expensive stuff to have ready like the fire booms.
Much will change after this.

Reminds me of the fires in California in many ways.
Poor planning and preparedness makes things worse.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #88
dr_teng

Some more news :

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=126629347 < The dome they constructed to stop one of the leaks has failed (at least for now).

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update2-.html < If it isn't stopped soon, the oil spill could surge from the 5000~ barrels a day currently to 60000 barrels a day.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #89
polystoned
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
If it isn't stopped soon, the oil spill could surge from the 5000~ barrels a day currently to 60000 barrels a day.
Translation: If it isn't stopped soon BP will be forced to admit that the oil is really leaking 60000 barrels a day.
polystoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #90
dr_teng

I wouldn't be surprised.