Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-30-2018, 03:27 AM   #9051
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koflach View Post
it's nice to hear all these wonderful things about it that are the exactly same on the EX and the CE.

I believe that Sideshow has set the internal cost at about $90 for the EX portrait based on the post someone made earlier about them getting two regular portraits and was offered a $90 credit I believe. Regardless of what the secondary market sets the price at, this seems to be their internal cost difference.

Personally, I believe that the quality of the sculpt as listed above is worth the price (regardless of the comments from the EX or bust snobs). Everyone on here is welcome to spend their money however they want. I don't want to take the chance on waiting for this to hit the secondary market or have this potentially go on sale. I see enough value in the sculpt the way it is to justify the cost of the CE so I can enjoy this while others would prefer to roll the dice and wait to save a couple dollars.
Snobs? Occasionally Sideshow makes the exclusive too key to a piece, which makes the step down to the Reg much more steep. That’s all. Given the high upfront cost, That Regular Edition will struggle to hold its retail value.

Which is no issue if you never sell. So enjoy the heck out of it. I rarely argue the value side of these things, but $1200 is too big a bite to just ignore it for me personally.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:27 AM   #9052
ChaFoShizzle
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Now that the dust has settled a little bit, I’m still super impressed with this piece. The sculpt is absolutely magnificent and just incredibly impressive all around. I really, really like the regular portrait. The extra detail on the helmet along with the back strap is a very nice touch. The paint app is pretty clean, a little bit sloppy on the boots and the back thrusters are ass, but it is what it is. I wish the blues were a tad more vibrant, especially the lighter shade because it really doesn’t stand out at all in person, but that’s a personal thing. Also, while I was expecting it since thats what was shown in the prototype, but his body has no shading whatsoever. Now this doesn’t bother me, but I know some out there always complain about flat paint jobs by other companies, so take it as you will.

I also wish for the premium price we paid that we received premium packaging as well. Both boxes were incredibly thin and I feel many of the small qc issues could’ve been avoided with proper care in the packaging. Mine also has a small smooth spot on the knee to where it seemed like it rubbed against the styrofoam. Some of that velvet style wrapping would’ve been very nice here along with the high quality black foam, but oh well. It’s probably on the worst side QC wise in all the pieces I own, but none of the issues are bad enough for me to return it or anything as they’re very minor. A home run for sure, but not the grand slam it could’ve been imo. I still can’t get over how incredible the sculpt is, Harbottle really outdid himself!!!!
ChaFoShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:48 AM   #9053
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
This is not an EX or fail situation. This is coming from a guy who totally thought it would be before getting it in hand.
It totally is if you are a Thanos fan. People grew up reading Starlin and Lims run need this smiling portrait. It’s certainly in my eyes a must better Exclusive than the Doom ex.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #9054
CyborgHunter
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Easy to dismiss because you got the EX.

I still think it is too great an omission to pay anywhere close to full price for the Reg.
Quote:
And then you have people who dismiss the EX or Fail for this statue...

The Reg is fine...at a steep discount.
Quote:
Except 700 euro in value (apparently) from having the other piece.
Quote:
I feel like I have been pretty clear on this. The Reg is going to always be much less sought after, and is worth considerably less for missing that one part. The rest of the statue can be fine, but that will never change that.

So, while the Reg is fine, it is not worth the same upfront cost as the sold out EX. The missing part is worth hundreds more. But retail is the same?

Good luck with that dynamic.
Quote:
Snobs? Occasionally Sideshow makes the exclusive too key to a piece, which makes the step down to the Reg much more steep. That’s all. Given the high upfront cost, That Regular Edition will struggle to hold its retail value.

Which is no issue if you never sell. So enjoy the heck out of it. I rarely argue the value side of these things, but $1200 is too big a bite to just ignore it for me personally.
For the umpteenth time we get it! the EX will always be worth more and the regular will not. For many of us, myself included, having the EX doesn't matter and isn't a deal breaker. I am more than happy with the collectors edition and have no problem with the $1,200 price tag. I personally have no intention on ever selling it so re-sale value is of no concern. I just want it in my collection to enjoy the great sculpt that it is.
CyborgHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #9055
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

What have the shipping costs on this one been to the EU?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #9056
Korath24
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Someone here on the boards mentioned that that guy sold the extra EX head on FB for 700 euros.
He sold it for $500 usd. I'm the one who bought it lol
Korath24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #9057
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Mine arrived today early afternoon and everything is perfect! I must say this piece is larger than I ever imagined. I seen a ton of pics of him and I knew he was large but pictures do not do him justice. The detail on him is incredible and he has a lot of weight to him. The throne was lighter than I thought it would be. I love it. I currently have him in between Iron Man and Wolverine. He towers over them.
Congrats! That is a very awesome display
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #9058
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
It totally is if you are a Thanos fan. People grew up reading Starlin and Lims run need this smiling portrait. It’s certainly in my eyes a must better Exclusive than the Doom ex.
I am known as a pretty big Thanos fan(atic) ... like slightly obsessed. And yes I agree the EX is great, I do like it better, the Reg is WAY better than I thought it would be. I thought the EX portrait was going to be an A+ while the Reg a B. Now I see the EX as an A+ and the Reg as an A. If that helps get my feeling across a little better.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #9059
sparda
The Avengers

MrJones, having received your Thanos, are you planning on retiring from collecting? (That darkside on throne from IS might be a worthy counterpiece )
sparda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #9060
WolverineFan
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
Congrats on receiving your Thanos. Good to hear he arrived issue free. Display looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Congrats! That is a very awesome display
Thanks guys! I can’t stop looking at it. The presence on this beast is incredible. I have it close to my tv and my eyes just keep moving towards it. I missed out on the exclusive by a few hours and I have no regrets about getting the regular edition at all. I like the serious look on Thanos like he is about to destroy the universe. Do I wish I had the exclusive sure, but I’m perfectly happy with this one. I recommend getting the regular for those who missed out on the exclusive. Pictures don’t do this statue justice when you see it in person!
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote