Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #9371
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Commissions are great--I have a ton of them--but getting commissions is a very different hobby compared to getting prints. It requires more money, quite a bit of patience, and luck and you still may not be able to get one from the artist you like.
Some artists like Campbell straight up do not do commissions. Some will only do commissions at conventions and there's no guarantee you'll get on the list even if you attend the convention. Most artists will charge anywhere from $250-300 minimum to over a thousand if they're popular for a decent-sized commission. Some will take anywhere from months to years getting the commission to you.

Prints are cheaper and much easier to buy. Getting them framed costs a decent amount, but if you're really collecting a lot of prints most of them end up in a portfolio book anyway. Obviously everyone would rather have an original, but prints are an easier and cheaper way to enjoy the art you love.

I buy both prints and commissions, but I draw the line at Sideshow's prices with the robot signature. I don't buy those no matter what the art is. You can get much cheaper unsigned prints elsewhere.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #9372
Demona
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
For the money you guys spend on prints you can Commission original art that means more and is one of a kind . Framing can cost as much or more than print . I’d rather have an original . Most of these prints are not worth the money and are sooooo hard to resell after .
For some artists that is very true, but not for all. Prints are perhaps the only option for somebody who wants a full color Brooks Batman.

A Mark Brooks original, without full color or background, is $1K. David Yardin, full color with background is also that. I have never had the chance for a JSC piece, so I'm unsure. I do know ArtGerm is in the 1K for smaller than 11x17.

Depends on whose art people are looking to own. That being said, like you, I gravitate towards original commissions if I can afford/make the list.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #9373
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
Commissions are great--I have a ton of them--but getting commissions is a very different hobby compared to getting prints. It requires more money, quite a bit of patience, and luck and you still may not be able to get one from the artist you like.
Some artists like Campbell straight up do not do commissions. Some will only do commissions at conventions and there's no guarantee you'll get on the list even if you attend the convention. Most artists will charge anywhere from $250-300 minimum to over a thousand if they're popular for a decent-sized commission. Some will take anywhere from months to years getting the commission to you.

Prints are cheaper and much easier to buy. Getting them framed costs a decent amount, but if you're really collecting a lot of prints most of them end up in a portfolio book anyway. Obviously everyone would rather have an original, but prints are an easier and cheaper way to enjoy the art you love.

I buy both prints and commissions, but I draw the line at Sideshow's prices with the robot signature. I don't buy those no matter what the art is. You can get much cheaper unsigned prints elsewhere.
How do you go about getting a commissioned piece of art. Is there a specific website where you can book an order or is it just the artists directly?
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #9374
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Has anyone on here ever commissioned a piece of art from Joelle Jones?
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #9375
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
For some artists that is very true, but not for all. Prints are perhaps the only option for somebody who wants a full color Brooks Batman.

A Mark Brooks original, without full color or background, is $1K. David Yardin, full color with background is also that. I have never had the chance for a JSC piece, so I'm unsure. I do know ArtGerm is in the 1K for smaller than 11x17.

Depends on whose art people are looking to own. That being said, like you, I gravitate towards original commissions if I can afford/make the list.
I totally understand . Art is not cheap and if you have to have that big name then it’s beyond the reach of most . I think “ lesser” artists do bang up jobs for good prices still although wait times have increased two fold since I started chasing art.
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #9376
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post

Some very excellent points . I’ve been very lucky in my chase and acquired some great pieces from

Jim Lee
Mike Zeck
Rick Leonardi
Simone Bianchi
Dike Ruan
Ron Frenz
Humberto Ramos
Esad Ribic

Some of those required the sale of duplicate organs I won’t lie . One of the most important points is not all commissions come out awesome . It’s really a crap shoot
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:57 AM   #9377
zeheero
Justice League

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sideshow Catwoman Number 4  - Canvas Edition.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	129556

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sideshow Catwoman Number 4  VS  Comic Book - Canvas Edition.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	526.4 KB
ID:	129557

Christmas came early guys! Meows anyone? HeHe.
zeheero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #9378
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
How do you go about getting a commissioned piece of art. Is there a specific website where you can book an order or is it just the artists directly?
I contact the artists directly on whatever social media they have. If I'm attending a convention, I contact the artists ahead of time and let them know I will be there and can pick it up if they're interested in doing one for me. Some artists will only do commissions at conventions, but you can find some that will do a commission and mail it to you.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #9379
Demona
Lex Luthor

Subby -- do you have a CAF page or a link where we can see your art collection? I'd love to see your Bianchi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
Has anyone on here ever commissioned a piece of art from Joelle Jones?
I have!!

https://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery...p?Piece=826989

I got this long before she was on Catwoman too Ask me whatever you'd like about commissions, I get those more often. The art thread on this forum is where I started before getting sucked into statues.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #9380
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Subby -- do you have a CAF page or a link where we can see your art collection? I'd love to see your Bianchi.

I have!!

https://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery...p?Piece=826989

I got this long before she was on Catwoman too Ask me whatever you'd like about commissions, I get those more often. The art thread on this forum is where I started before getting sucked into statues.
Congrats for your collection and your good taste. I do like your Ivy collection.
She is the comics character I prefer to draw.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote